Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

So my roof EXPLODED today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member

Default So my roof EXPLODED today!

So, I know things happen with 1st year cars. You know things that they haven't worked the kinks out yet. But MY SUNROOF BLEW UP!! It was shut, there was no one in front of me on the off ramp, and no huge bump in the road. How does that happen? I had been hearing loud "thunks" when the unibody would tweak, and I had the dealership look at it at about 7500 miles, now that I just got my 10000 mile oil change, 3 days later my roof just goes pop. I am not sure why tC's are having the roof problem, but I was under the impression that the small un-movable window was the one that was breaking, not the sunroof. I think that the roof had been getting weaker over time, and for some reason the two bars that are spring loaded for the air dam, basically forced their way through the glass pane shattering it. That's all I can come up with other than the Chaos Theory and the stupid butterfly in Guatemala. Good news is, it is under manufacturers warranty so it will be fixed for free. Bad news is that my stupid Platinum Warranty, (that I have yet to get any use out of my $800 and my car has been in the shop about 6 times now including oil changes and modifications), doesn't cover my roof shattering and the dealership needing to order me a piece of glass, therefore keeping my car for a "few days" and have no loaner car! No complaints about the dealer, seriously they have been nothing but great from day one, just a little ____ed that I have no car again, and my extended warranty doesn't help yet once again. So anyone who's roof is making funny noises and/or whistling while you drive down the freeway, get it looked at. Take care, later.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow sorry man. thats kinda scary and weird that it would just explode like that. didnt the dealer give u a rental car?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles.. Hopefully your dealership will get the parts in quickly and it will be fixed and be better than new.

I'm just glad you weren't hurt by shattering glass..

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WTF?!?! what you do?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i heard that happen to someone when they shut the door. the glass just popped...sry to hear man
hope all gets fixed
Old 02-11-2005, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks everyone.
Basically called the dealer and taped up the roof. Didn't get hurt so I'm lucky, but I was going about 55 just getting on the off ramp of the freeway.
No rental. Supposidly not covered in the extended warrenty.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have enough problems, check your lemon law, you may be up for a new tC!
Old 02-11-2005, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've heard this a few times now... is the sunroof made of tempered glass? i believe there was a thread a while back about a chip in tempered glass and how it might just blow up...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...empered#487791

hmm this makes me think i shouldnt get a tC at all
Old 02-11-2005, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, ejector seat!

I hope they fix that well for you!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man...is that y the tC is so cheap...they cut a lil bit here and there, and make the ride cheap. If that's the case...i sure did regret that i got a tC
Old 02-11-2005, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i get a popping sounds sometimes when i go over spped bumps and other big bumps... i hope my sunroof does not break
Old 02-11-2005, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by VW2SCION
i get a popping sounds sometimes when i go over spped bumps and other big bumps... i hope my sunroof does not break
Go get yours looked at. Tell the dealer that it is popping when the unibody twists and see what they can do. Like I said mine was ok for about 2000 miles, but it wasn't fixed. I know they have a TSB out on it for the noise, something about tightening some bolts on the air dam, but have them look at the roof in the entirety. The air dam, sunroof: tracks and glass, and un-movable piece of glass.

I wouldn't consider mine a lemon, it has been in the shop 6 times but nothing severe until now. 2 oil changes because of the 5000 miles, 2 for modifications, and 2 for the roof including today. all 4 times related to the modifications and roof have been all day or over night and I haven't gotten a rental car because the extended warrenty only cover severe maint. work (but not glass) and no modifications where I "elect" to take my car in. I mean come on, I put an extra couple of grand at least in upgrades because of the pure price deal and I don't get a rental. What the hell? So does that mean if I put the (way overdue and probably not worth it) supercharger on it for $2600 I don't get a rental? Rediculous.

I know this sounds like I'm ranting, but I do love my car. Anyone that is thinking about getting one, I wouldn't get rid of mine. I have had my tC since Sept. and already have 10000 miles, it is a blast to drive. I was going to buy an xB until (I know there will be jeers about this) my girlfriend (of 4 years, so I have to at least listen a little bit) said she hated it, but loved the tC, I test drove it 3 times and loved it so i bought one. Like my signature says, I have a bagged Frontier also. My friends and I took it apart to redo some of the work that was getting old, and I never put it back together becasue I have had so much fun with my tC. Get one, just be ready for some 1st year modle stuff.

Again, thanks everyone for the concerns. I just wanted to post and let everyone know to get their roof looked at if they are popping. I'm fine, no cuts, no nothing just scared when it popped, it was kind of loud. I thought someone got into an accident on the freeway right after I exited or something, then i heard air rushing in and looked up, and found I had a convertable. Take care everybody.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

any pics?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member

Unfortunatly no pics. I was about 40 miles from my house and only about 20 from the dealer. A storm was coming and i didn't want to drive to get my camera. I dropped my car off and 5 minutes later it was raining so I am glad I got it there
Old 02-11-2005, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

eh.. thanx for the true opionion about your car... iam planning to buy a sw soon... your giving me 2nd thoughts on it... i never thought the roof would be a problem.... i didnt even know it was tempered glass.. i thought it was the same glass as the winshield... is there anyway to prevent it from breaking??? like invisable bra for paint chipping.. but for the roof.... aHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh ____... my sw tc comes next week...
Old 02-11-2005, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

there is a girl that lives in my town who has her xB on bags. not that it has anything do to with the glass shattering, but she shut the drivers side door. and the rear window just shattered. it was screwy.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe it was just a defect on the construction of your car, i hope its not a defect with every tc
Old 02-11-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

around 5000 miles on my car, and my sunroof stops opening. the roof got off track (one side would open and the other side lagged) and the cables got all twisted up and grinded the sunroof motor. so it had to be replaced. parts are currently waiting for me... but it still isn't fixed.. haven't found the time to do so....
Old 02-11-2005, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: So my roof EXPLODED today!

Originally Posted by Az Scion tC

So, I know things happen with 1st year cars. You know things that they haven't worked the kinks out yet. But MY SUNROOF BLEW UP!! It was shut, there was no one in front of me on the off ramp, and no huge bump in the road. How does that happen? I had been hearing loud "thunks" when the unibody would tweak, and I had the dealership look at it at about 7500 miles, now that I just got my 10000 mile oil change, 3 days later my roof just goes pop. I am not sure why tC's are having the roof problem, but I was under the impression that the small un-movable window was the one that was breaking, not the sunroof. I think that the roof had been getting weaker over time, and for some reason the two bars that are spring loaded for the air dam, basically forced their way through the glass pane shattering it. That's all I can come up with other than the Chaos Theory and the stupid butterfly in Guatemala. Good news is, it is under manufacturers warranty so it will be fixed for free. Bad news is that my stupid Platinum Warranty, (that I have yet to get any use out of my $800 and my car has been in the shop about 6 times now including oil changes and modifications), doesn't cover my roof shattering and the dealership needing to order me a piece of glass, therefore keeping my car for a "few days" and have no loaner car! No complaints about the dealer, seriously they have been nothing but great from day one, just a little ____ed that I have no car again, and my extended warranty doesn't help yet once again. So anyone who's roof is making funny noises and/or whistling while you drive down the freeway, get it looked at. Take care, later.

extended warranty kicks in after your 3/36000.... do you have over 36000miles on your car? curious....
Old 02-11-2005, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If your car is at the dealership overnight you're entitled to one of their fleet cars.

Quick Reply: So my roof EXPLODED today!