Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

tC Hatch Handle broken..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which can lead to paint damage, which can end up costing more than just replacing the garnish.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just broke mines off 2 days ago. is their a mini diy on how to install/ reinstall one? im buying a cf garnish off ebay.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member

I have a 2006 limited edition tC and mine did the same thing. The part has been on back order and I am currently waiting for it.
The mechanic said he sees it all the time. It's pretty messed up and should be recalled!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-01-2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it completely broken off or its just moves too much but still on the trunk? i would just take the trunk apart and use gorilla glue to put the broken parts back and screw it down again
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by jessiebby
I have a 2006 limited edition tc and mine did the same thing. The part has been on back order and I am currently waiting for it. The mechanic said he sees it all the time. It's pretty messed up and should be recalled!
pics of the back of your handle, its probably fixable
Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by CSOCSO
is it completely broken off or its just moves too much but still on the trunk? i would just take the trunk apart and use gorilla glue to put the broken parts back and screw it down again
Yeah, I went this route. Worked fine for a while, until the valet at the airport went to open the hatch (like any normal human would, by pulling up on the handle that opens it) and pulled the whole piece off again.

Using the duct tape method now until I can afford a new piece.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope you don't have the duct tape on the outside of the handle..that can ruin your paint.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had this happen two times before I found a good solution. Each time, the plastic part that attaches to the bolt would completely break off. I tried to fiberglass it back with just the resin, but it broke both times. This past time I decided to use the fiberglass resin along with fiberglass cloth and spread it a good 1.5 inches around where it had broken off. This has solved my problem. going 7 months strong now, even with subs in the hatch! Hope this will help some others having this problem. It only cost me like 20 bucks to fix, and I had leftover resin and cloth for other stuff.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by XIEmperorIX
I hope you don't have the duct tape on the outside of the handle..that can ruin your paint.
I do. Although at 7 1/2 years and with all the scratches and whatnot at this point, I'm not as worried about the paint as I used to be.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dmar07sciontc
I had this happen two times before I found a good solution. Each time, the plastic part that attaches to the bolt would completely break off. I tried to fiberglass it back with just the resin, but it broke both times. This past time I decided to use the fiberglass resin along with fiberglass cloth and spread it a good 1.5 inches around where it had broken off. This has solved my problem. going 7 months strong now, even with subs in the hatch! Hope this will help some others having this problem. It only cost me like 20 bucks to fix, and I had leftover resin and cloth for other stuff.
Interesting idea. I've never played with fiberglass resin before, but this is worth a quick Google.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by michiganbob
Interesting idea. I've never played with fiberglass resin before, but this is worth a quick Google.
It is very easy to work with. It can get a little messy though, so keep some towels handy. Also, make sure not to put too much of the hardener in the mix. It will dry too fast to work with if you do. Definitely look into it though. And don't forget the fiberglass cloth along with the resin. The cloth is what really makes it a structure.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by michiganbob
You can also go to your local hardware store and purchase any type of epoxy. You want to pretty much make the piece where the bolts are held stronger. The main problem with the OEM garnishes is that the plastic is so thin in these locations and a good violent pull will separate the plastic from the metal screws.

As a side note, what are all of you guys doing with your broken garnishes? Anyone in Cali care to send me theirs for experimentation?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, it's a known issue.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member

I'm using 3m tape on mine until I get an alarm on the car to swap it out for a carbon fiber one.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can try trdsparks. they got everything oem.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
i've owned a tC for close to 3 yrs and have had no problems.
it's not a flaw.... at least not one that's been an issue enough to even warrant any type of recall.

i would just say stop complaining and deal with the dealership...

you got issues with them... deal with them... it's not toyota in general.. you don't like your dealership and their service? go to another one.

and btw.. yeah.. it does take excessive force to break that thing off... so uhm... yea... i dunno what everyone's problem is.
I actually took the time to register to say mine broke as well. SquallLHeart's arrogance is simply amazing. Because HIS tC didn't have the problem, it obviously not a factory problem.
Think again. Google it and just see how many people from all over are having the same issue.
I live in Arizona and I watched my wife open the trunk and have the piece break off in her hand. Not an issue with ice or cold and NOT man handled. It's just a piece of crap.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-01-2019 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know it has been a while since this thread was updated but there is a class action lawsuit that will probably not go anywhere but i FIgured anyone that has had this issue could go to this link and sign the petiton:

http://www.change.org/petitions/scio...sumers-at-risk

Then there is this facebook link as well:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scion...95767133769843
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Saw this in a parking garage the other day

Name:  43F05444-71AF-42D4-9079-CCE5FD38C557-7340-0000083BCCF7E6E1.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  86.0 KB

made me think of this thread.

Have yall seen this?:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218463

should be coming out soon. I'm definitely getting one so I never have to worry about breaking my garnish. If you guys want one, jump on that thread and express your interest. There may be a group buy or something when it comes out!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Post number 9 in above thread will greatly increase the life of your hatch handle.

In 20 years, when someone's looking for a classic tC to restore (lol) they'll come across mine, and go LOOK! It still has the rare functional hatch handle!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-01-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol I guess but I really don't like how that strap looks . To each their own though

Quick Reply: tC Hatch Handle broken..