Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

"TCX" Has a new home...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default "TCX" Has a new home...

Hey all,

I recently was the lucky purchaser of a VERY nice tC from an even nicer member of this forum. Maybe you know him... I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Here's some quick shots of the Yaris interior / engine bay

Name:  P1050043.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  161.6 KB
Name:  P1050041.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  102.3 KB
Name:  P1050040.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  87.1 KB

And here's some of the tC. (WARNING: There WILL be drooling)

So as you can see, I also own a Toyota Yaris. This car has been my pride and joy. I've put so much time and work into it, but I won't go into all the mods here. What's worth talking about is that it's one of less than ten turbocharged Yarises
here in the states (pusing 8 psi). It's also the only automatic to be turbocharged. I get a lot of mixed opinions ranging from "dude you turbocharged a yaris you're stupid" to "that is the coolest f%&*ing thing I've ever seen lolrofl." Sadly, I'll likely be selling it sometime this year, depending on how things go with the tC. I'm only 21 and that money will go a long way. ESPECIALLY for a business idea I've had for awhile.

So here's where I'm at. I can't even drive this beautiful machine yet because 1) I have to learn to drive stick LOL, 2) Some things need to be done before I can buy insurance, 3) The car needs a few minor things done (AFRs, gas release) 4) As you probably noticed, it's still winter here in crummy New Jersey.

I have some mods planned to make it feel more my own, but this thing is already soooooo heavily modified that everything is minor for the most part. For those interested in the current list of mods, check this out (http://www.microimageonline.com/tcforsale.html) (Don't be fooled - it's no longer for sale lol).

PERFORMANCE
-AFRs need slight retuning. Part throttle was worked on a bit already at the tuner.
-Going to have cold start slightly retuned.
-Add methanol injection. The mixed gas/ race gas maps in the Motec should be perfect when methanol is added. Have a kit.

SUSPENSION / TRANSMISSION
x Install stage IV clutch once I'm comfortable driving manual (already have the clutch, THANKS GARM)
-Get Quaife rebuilt and sold
-Put previous axle back together
-Brakes/rotors MAY need some adjusting / turning down.
-Excessive engine movement issue

INTERIOR / EXTERIOR
x Address gas cap release. Currently it's held closed by felt spacers. I'd like to make it OEM-like if possible.
x Rewire wideband to be on at all times.
x Part of the front bumper is falling off
x Wire Voltmeter backlight into potentiometer
-Get cracks and imperfections cleaned up - much further down the road.
-Either 20 or 35% tint on drivers and passengers windows. Screw NJ's super homo tint laws. I don't need bumholes peeking in my car sizing up what they can steal. That brings me to:
x Install decent security system. Currently looking at Python 991. This is also important for insurance purposes.
x Install multiple add ons for the said security system.
x Calibrate Add ons
-Install a couple killswitches.
x Get front windshield crack filled. This happened during transport, but I decided not to throw a fit since it's very small.
x Glove Compartment closing issue
-LED doorsils
-Red interior lighting in footwells, etc. (Apparently, this was already started LOL)
-Address lots of loose interior panels. It's weird because all the clips match up, but many of them refuse to stay in place. Some super glue should solve this.
-Trying to think of something to do with the dash... (one of the few parts that is still stock lol)
-Front vents need grilles IMO
x Fix Passenger window button
x Fix horn / replace clock spring
x Solve electrical drain issue
-Replace upper alternator bolt
-ABS malfunction (left wheel speed sensor?)
x Fix Passenger seat belt
-Why won't the Kenwood display ipod album artwork?
-Rear diffuser is loose

-Pass Inspection
-Get a dummy cat

CURRENT PROJECT
-Excessive engine movement issue

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 08-21-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the forums and ONE HELL OF BUY! You got that tC for a steal if i had the cash i would have picked it up =(.

Before you drive the tc I'd recommend you learn from a different car how to drive stick since the tc is boosted you might go and blow up the engine that would be real bad...
To be honest the car is sick as it is i wouldn't change it but if you do what is it you have in mind that you'd like to change?? Paint, rims, Interior???

About trying to sell something on your thread ummm the mods will edit your posting and take it off or just delete your thread. You must have a certain amount of posting to go about selling items on SL.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I put a little less emphasis on the sale lol.

Anyways, I have noooooooo intention of learning to drive in the tC. I have a bunch of friends who have manuals and are willing to teach. I was planning on either turning the boost more or less off, or lowering it to 8 psi for the first couple weeks of driving.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't hint at anything being for sale until you meet the requirements. No listing it in your signature either. Oh and welcome to SL.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only way of turning boost off is taking off the complete turbo kit.

Im not sure if the tc has a boost controller but if it does see what psi it's set at.. If not contact the buyer i don't he would have a problem helping you out.

Edit- Just saw the car is set to 23psi. Quoted from the seller's pg.

"MoTeC ECU management (tuned by Twins Turbo, three maps on a switch" You should be able to switch to lower psi.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pwee08
Only way of turning boost off is taking off the complete turbo kit.

Im not sure if the tc has a boost controller but if it does see what psi it's set at.. If not contact the buyer i don't he would have a problem helping you out.

Edit- Just saw the car is set to 23psi. Quoted from the seller's pg.

"MoTeC ECU management (tuned by Twins Turbo, three maps on a switch" You should be able to switch to lower psi.
It has the World Racing boost controller, currently at 12 psi, 16(?) psi, and 22. I honestly don't even feel comfortable driving it at 12 until I have some experience.

I'm not completely familiar with external wastegates, but couldn't I drastically reduce available boost by running an open wastegate? The turbo will probably still spool, but significantly less. I wonder if I could achieve the same effect with the boost controller? Haven't looked into it much yet.

BTW, sorry about the sales thing.

EDIT: Could a mod move this thread to "Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge," I really don't know how it got here lol.

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 02-28-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice purchase man! soo sick. that yaris is pretty sweet, never see those turbo'ed. post an engine bay pic if u can, show off the turbo.

o and says your in NW Jersey, I am too, what town?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in Newton.

I'll get side by side engine bay shots tomorrow :p
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Added lots more pics
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What offset are those rims for a widebody?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Wow that's a freakin sexy tc. Good job on that buy.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wish I knew - the wheels are one-offs, custom made.

I'll check with the previous owner.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably wayyyy in the negatives. I've never liked wide-bodied cars but I honestly really like this one. Its a real clean car.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Doinworqsonn
Wow that's a freakin sexy tc. Good job on that buy.
Thanks dude. I thought I did pretty good too

Originally Posted by Hayseed
Probably wayyyy in the negatives. I've never liked wide-bodied cars but I honestly really like this one. Its a real clean car.
Thanks, I feel the same way. Dunno about you, but I hate super slammed cars as well. This tC is "tastefully" dropped.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft
It has the World Racing boost controller, currently at 12 psi, 16(?) psi, and 22. I honestly don't even feel comfortable driving it at 12 until I have some experience.

I'm not completely familiar with external wastegates, but couldn't I drastically reduce available boost by running an open wastegate? The turbo will probably still spool, but significantly less. I wonder if I could achieve the same effect with the boost controller? Haven't looked into it much yet.

BTW, sorry about the sales thing.

EDIT: Could a mod move this thread to "Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge," I really don't know how it got here lol.
Open wastegates don't reduce boost. You run open wg to reduce backpressure which aids in making more power. Only way is to replace the springs in the wg's with a low psi spring (which will be the lowest amount of boost you will ever be able to run).

Last edited by rhythmnsmoke; 03-01-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That yaris is full of fail.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^LOL...that was a little harsh.

It is ghetto fab though...
Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Former Sponsor
5 Year Member

Man I'm going to miss that car, I've seen that car personally go through its transformations from day one, please be good to it cause you got yourself a one of a kind tC, just keep it at the lowest setting, I drove it like that a few times with no drive ability issues, if you drive it normal/nice and easy it will drive like a normal car believe it or not, well good luck with your new project and keep us updated, thanks.....
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Open wastegates don't reduce boost. You run open wg to reduce backpressure which aids in making more power. Only way is to replace the springs in the wg's with a low psi spring (which will be the lowest amount of boost you will ever be able to run).
Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably get the boost as low as possible with the TBC-1.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guillermo_DESCENDANT
Man I'm going to miss that car, I've seen that car personally go through its transformations from day one, please be good to it cause you got yourself a one of a kind tC, just keep it at the lowest setting, I drove it like that a few times with no drive ability issues, if you drive it normal/nice and easy it will drive like a normal car believe it or not, well good luck with your new project and keep us updated, thanks.....
No worries bro. Shes sleeping in the heated garage currently - so that should tell you something. I can't even imagine how great it was to watch the car evolve in person... Garm showed me the website he made that detailed it's evolution and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The car is in VERY good hands, promise.

Quick Reply: "TCX" Has a new home...