Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Thinking about buying a tC

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 AM

Default Thinking about buying a tC

for a while i was dead set on buying an 09 volkswagen rabbit.. but at the same time, i wasnt REALLY sure i wanted one..

now i wanted to know if i should get a tC or a Rabbit (i love coups)

oh, and i did do my fill of research on these and a number of other cars, and currently, this is what it had come down to.

thanks scion life!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right now if i would have money i would go for the genesis coupe.. the turbo one... its a little bit more than the tc but u get much more. and i just seen a few one with nice wheels.omg i want one
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CSOCSO
right now if i would have money i would go for the genesis coupe.. the turbo one... its a little bit more than the tc but u get much more. and i just seen a few one with nice wheels.omg i want one
X2..
Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

go test drive both, i wouldnt mind a rabbit. the genesis coupe is ugly as sin. another tiburon.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If someone didn't crush the face of the Genesis, it would be OK. It might end up being the next "tuner" car... but damn, it is NOT a looker.

You'll really just have to test drive them both and see what you like.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
go test drive both, i wouldnt mind a rabbit. the genesis coupe is ugly as sin. another tiburon.
x2 people always say the srt-4 is just a neon. well the genesis is still just a Hyundai. tc is a great car. easy to work on and easy to modify. can do virtually anything to it and its nondestructive. had mine for almost 3 years and i love it.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
x2.

Get a GTI.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i almost got one last week....
Old 03-09-2009, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^^^ Bad los bad! xPPP
Old 03-09-2009, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha.....

hey hey hey....i explained my story to you....
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well i guess i should elaborate a bit more on my previous statement lol
what are your intentions for this car and where do you live.

if you wanna go fast i don't suggest the tC unless you plan on sinking some money in and boosting it. at that point its still not the best option but it isnt bad however stock the tC is not fast. but it is a bit faster then the rabbit.

if your looking for a daily driver then the tC is a great dependable car if you don't mind a few rattles here and there. the rabbit will be more solid then the tC when it comes to things like that. however when it comes to dependability the tC wins hands down.

if you live in a warm climate i would suggest the 2.0t genesis its a great car don't listen to the naysayers. it has a engine that's basically brothers with the engine that's in the EVO so the tuning ability is going to be far greater out of the box then a tC or rabbit... or almost any other car in its price range.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally think the Genesis coupe is pretty sweet. The tC is a nice car and all but If you are looking for performance it is not the car you want to get unless you are willing to drop alot of money into. If I was buying a car now I would choose the Genesis Coupe over the tC probably. 6 speed tranny, LSD, Turbo, RWD. And if anyone wants to get on the quality of the car and play "its a hyundai" card. Hyundais warranty is 10 year 100k miles. I sat in one at a local dealership and it is much nicer then the tC on the inside and the outside of the car is pretty sexy. Do yourself a favor and go down to the Hyundai dealer and check it out. It is a sweet car. There are a million tC's on the road. I can make a 2 min trip to the store and see about 5 or 6 tC's. You wont be able to say that about the Genesis Coupe for a while at least.

http://jalopnik.com/5151658/hyundai-...pe-r+spec-live
IDK how people can say that car is not sexy.

And another thing, you asked your question on a Scion forum so you are going to get biased answers towards the tC just as if you were to go on the VW forum and ask the same question.

I would go with the Genesis coupe if I were you and forget about both the tC and the Rabbit.

The tC is a good car, it has alot for the money. Downside is performance sucks and you have got to drop alot of money into it for it to be fast and handle well. Along with it is FWD which sucks. So if you ever do put power into it, you can forget about getting much traction through first or sec gear. And torque steers a B****. No 6 speed tranny, and when you cruise on the highway at 70 or 75 you feel like you need to shift into another gear but there is none. And since your RPMs are up you dont get the best gas mileage, though the tC does get decent MPG but could get better with a 6th gear. tC's are also a dime a dozen. There are so many of these car son the road its not even funny. Its almost liek the new honda civic to where everyone and their mom has one. It doesnt matter how much you mod yours either, Ive came to find out its still a tC.

Rabbit: I personally have never driven one or rode in one but my sister has a VW beatle and that thing is falling apart at 60k miles. Shes had so many problems with that thing its not even funny. I have other friends also who own VW's and the same thing happens to them. Once you reach about 60k miles the car starts to fall apart. And when they break they are expensive to fix. I used to want a R32 but as ive seen all the problems VW has and how expensive they are to fix I dont think I will ever own one.

Genesis Coupe > tC > VW Rabbit

I would even get a New Civic SI over the tC now.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really like the Gti, si, or used car rsx or anything type-s. my sister just got a civic it's well put together nicer than my tc. Tc is a good first car for the price but I'm sick of mine. Or just hold the tc untill they make the toyobaru. Trade in hopefully it doesn't dissapoint.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ukno0003
I would even get a New Civic SI over the tC now.
x2. I always hated the Si, but after finally driving one, I've completely changed my perspective over the car. It's slow as *****, but the car is built so much better than the tC.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jon....

idk about that....
Old 03-09-2009, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Too bad the new si looks like crap.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha.....
Old 03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

the genesis is either a hate or love kinda car lol i think its dead sexy. then some of us think its butt ugly. its gonna be your car. test drive some see what you like.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes drive them....
see what you can afford...
and go from there....

and although the idea and what not of the genesis is alright...at the end of the day its still a hyundai
Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some info for those that are suggesting the Genesis Coupe;

Power: 210 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 223 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm
Displacement: 2.0 liters
Weight: 3380 lbs
Weight distribution (percent, front/rear): 53.8/46.2
0-60 mph: 7.0 sec
0-100 mph: 17.7 sec
0-110 mph: 23.0 sec
0-120 mph: 28.4 sec
0-130 mph: 35.8 sec
1/4 mile pass: 15.4 sec @ 93 mph

Above numbers are for the 2.0t Track model, as tested by Automobile magazine. Checking Hyundai's website, I see the msrp is $26,750! While the base model is "only" $22,000, you don't get a LSD, brembos, etc.

They also had the following comments about the 2.0t Track model;
"The 2.0T is tuned for lots of muscle in the low-rpm, daily-driving range, but it runs out of thrust quickly as the tach climbs past 4000 rpm. Worse, without balance shafts, the engine practically begs you to short-shift it, due to deafening boominess and vibrations severe enough to rattle the dashboard. Unfortunately, even the Track chassis plows resolutely, a situation not helped by the staggered wheels and tires. On smooth pavement, neither abrupt turn-in nor trailing throttle will coax the coupe's tail out, although midcorner bumps will throw the car sideways..."

They did seem to like the 3.8 Track model, but at $31,000 it should be decent.

looks to me like the 2.0t base isn't much better than a tC, it's fat (~300 more pounds), slow (only ~.4sec better 0-60), and costs several thousand more.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a tC