Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Thinking CF hood...but i have a FM tC

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 AM
SL Member

here's where i am getting mine:

http://www.racingsolution.com/showpa...on=DisplayPart
Old 10-22-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Re: Thinking CF hood...but i have a FM tC

Do you want to do it for looks or weight? I own a 05 flint mica and im about to get one. Definitly not doing it for looks but to nock off some of the weight cuzz you know our cars are heavy.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much weight does a CF hood knock off anyway? and btw stc08 im getting a CF hood soon for my FM tC...i love carbon fiber and i think the CF will play well with the FM
Old 10-22-2007, 01:18 AM
SL Member

Default Re: Thinking CF hood...but i have a FM tC

Originally Posted by chrisNOF
Do you want to do it for looks or weight? I own a 05 flint mica and im about to get one. Definitly not doing it for looks but to nock off some of the weight cuzz you know our cars are heavy.
the weight is really of no concern to me since i am not moding it for speed, so for me it would be for the looks, but now im thinking about the CF one, and just painting it..as a previous post stated they were not a big fan of fiberglass????
Old 10-22-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
I am going to to do the Kaminari Reverse Cowl also......but I am going to paint it to match.........I am getting the CF one even though I am painting it to match......never been a fan of fiberglass hoods.........but I like the vent to get heat out and also the weight reduction in the front end.......I think I will leave the under side CF though......

everyone here in the NW seems to have the CF or black hood........but nobody here has painted theirs......or at least very few.
I'm sorry to disappoint, but a genuine carbon fiber hood reaches into the thousands of dollars. The Kaminari CF hood is a fiberglass body, with a carbon fiber weave laid over, as are nearly all of the hoods on the market.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman
I am going to to do the Kaminari Reverse Cowl also......but I am going to paint it to match.........I am getting the CF one even though I am painting it to match......never been a fan of fiberglass hoods.........but I like the vent to get heat out and also the weight reduction in the front end.......I think I will leave the under side CF though......

everyone here in the NW seems to have the CF or black hood........but nobody here has painted theirs......or at least very few.
I'm sorry to disappoint, but a genuine carbon fiber hood reaches into the thousands of dollars. The Kaminari CF hood is a fiberglass body, with a carbon fiber weave laid over, as are nearly all of the hoods on the market.
so if your intentions are to paint the Kaminari Reverse Cowl hood to match your car, it is ok to go with the fiberglass one, and just getting the carbon fiber one to just do the same to is a waste of money..is that correct
Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Yeah I know it is just Fiberglass underneath........but after comparing the two side by side the CF felt more sturdy.........also the under side of the glass hood was not as appealing to me ,if it was apinted it would look good but the CF underside looked fine as is.....

I used to be a Boeing employee........if you have ridden on a 767 or 777 I built all the steering flaps on about 1000 of them........they are all CF.......amazing stuff once it goes in an autoclave under vacume.........
Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stc08

so if your intentions are to paint the Kaminari Reverse Cowl hood to match your car, it is ok to go with the fiberglass one, and just getting the carbon fiber one to just do the same to is a waste of money..is that correct
Don't get me wrong, the carbon fiber that is there does help with rigidity, but if you plan to paint over it, I can't justify spending $150-200 extra for that tiny extra margin of strength.

I haven't seen the undersides of either of them, so I could understand if it's sightly, haha.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

I personally like the combination of FM and CF because the carbon can stand out or blend in depending on the lighting conditions.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Can someone post a good photo of the under side of a CF hood.......and a Glass hood......you can see the differance.......although glass painted would look better underneath.......the CF just has a good smooth look to it..........

I also have the hood damper and the glass hood doesn't look like the rivits will hold long with the flex of it going up and down.....and they also recomend not using the glass hood withthe damper.......even with the CF I plan on cutting a slit on the area it attaches and gluing in a metal plate to give it more support to rivit to......
Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

The underside of mine is just black fiberglass.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:28 AM
SL Member

i have the VSII hood on my Flint Mica and love it...I am puttin on my Kaminari Kit and should look nice when its all finished
Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'd watch out with that one vented one shown on page 1. I have a similar hood - AIT Racing... The rain gaurd completely sucks!!!! If you're in a state where it rains, then goodluck. I think they're made just for shows. The water will flow right over the engine. I had to epoxy seal mine because I used to live in PA.

The hood has always been a hassle. Go OEM or motorFX or Kamanari for vented.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

have you tried putting other smaller CF accents on yr car to decide whether you like it or not?

That's what I did, if you want pics let me know
Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by toeveryhour
I'd watch out with that one vented one shown on page 1. I have a similar hood - AIT Racing... The rain gaurd completely sucks!!!! If you're in a state where it rains, then goodluck. I think they're made just for shows. The water will flow right over the engine. I had to epoxy seal mine because I used to live in PA.

I am going to go with fibeglass Kaminari Reverse Cowl hood, and have it painted to match my 08 FM, as for the vent issue, i live in Florida rain capital, do you think i will have a problem
Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

check my profile or check my myspace i got one on my 06 fm i love it
Old 10-22-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by toeveryhour

Beside the engine bay being dirtier than it would be without the vent, what's the problem?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ouch nm didnt notice ppl already posted pic
Old 11-03-2007, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same dilemma as stc08, i wanted to get a CF hood cuz my FM is looking too stoock. after seeing the pics above by captainlaziness, im deciding not to get one. no offence to captainlaziness but it just doesn't stand out enough for me. GL though
Old 11-03-2007, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as requested... I think?

Here is my hood when I first got it. Fiberglass as you can see..

Very well made.

Quick Reply: Thinking CF hood...but i have a FM tC