Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

TRS Morimoto mini H1 kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRS Morimoto mini H1 kit

I never got a definitive answer from searching but consulted with The Retrofit Source before I ordered anything. They recommended the Morimoto H1 kit and the extended E46 shrouds. They told me there would be no cutting so I went ahead and ordered them and they arrived on Monday.

After baking them and making my whole house smell like carcinogens, my lights were opened and my friend Ernie and I began the install. Unfortunately, the threaded shaft was a tad too short and I did end up having to cut one of the inner rings of where the 9006 bulb mounted. This opened up about the 2-3mm I needed to get the lock ring on. Besides this one little modification, the kit installed rather smoothly. The E46 extended shrouds were perfect and made it almost look OEM (it would have been even better if I didn't get a little bit of sealant on one of the shrouds. I was too lazy to open them up again to clean them off and if you're looking that hard to find imperfections, you're just an _______ anyways).

Light output is much better than the HIDs I had in the reflector housing. Install was pretty straight forward beside the slight cutting. Overall, I would have to say that the kit recommended by TRS is great for people like me who did not want to make serious and irreversible modifications to their headlights.

I don't know how to hotlink with google, so here are a couple pictures I took after getting to work today. I need to take the bumper cover off again and realign it, after that I'll take better pictures with a real camera.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10511...98381965218705
Old 02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lookin good! Now you just need cut off shots and night shots!
I've been seriously contemplating getting a set of these. They're the easiest install retrofits around and from what I've heard, the output is excellent. Can't wait for "real pictures"

You stick with the 4300K HIDs or did you do the 5200K?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My old HIDs were 5000, so I decided to go with 4300 this time around. More light less blue.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet...can't wait for lit up pics.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't aware they had a kit for a smooth install into 05-07 lights. Next time I'm near their store I'll stop and see just what's involved. I'd rather be running a retrofitted set of these than the 08s I have now.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
I wasn't aware they had a kit for a smooth install into 05-07 lights. Next time I'm near their store I'll stop and see just what's involved. I'd rather be running a retrofitted set of these than the 08s I have now.
They actually have an even better kit for those with 08 lights. I think they basically utilize the same mounting points for the factory projector and upgrade it to an HID projector rather than a halogen. It's a little more than the kit I got, but I think the projector for the 08+ kit is better than the Morimoto.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gtran1502
They actually have an even better kit for those with 08 lights. I think they basically utilize the same mounting points for the factory projector and upgrade it to an HID projector rather than a halogen. It's a little more than the kit I got, but I think the projector for the 08+ kit is better than the Morimoto.
I could be mistaken, but I remember reading somewhere that TSX projectors are a direct swap
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gtran1502
Yeah I've seen that kit but I prefer the look of the 05-07 lights. I wanted projectors, without bothering with a retro at the time, which is why I have these. Will (DigitalPro) had the Mini H1s in his 08s and wasn't entirely pleased if I remember correctly.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been waiting to see a DIY about this too, I've seen one with a Jetta and he had to cut the shrouds to make them fit. Doesn't look like that's the case here. I might pick one up in the next few months then....
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

I'm glad I came across this. I just bought a set of headlights for a retrofit and now I know which kit to buy...thanks!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The shrouds fit perfectly without modification!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by carben100
I could be mistaken, but I remember reading somewhere that TSX projectors are a direct swap
it's actually the morimoto retro-quik system

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=254

it makes me want to do a retro on my 08 headlights now
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Photo album updated with pictures if cut off line

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like I'm gonna get my 07 stock head lights and get the TRS kit in them and put my 08 headlights with hid up for sell soon then!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by andrewStC
Looks like I'm gonna get my 07 stock head lights and get the TRS kit in them and put my 08 headlights with hid up for sell soon then!

Hey, don't jump to soon, H1 HID bulbs are always aftermarket, so less then OEM quality, yes there cheap, but the color and output wont last. You really want to think of OEM for a reason, D2S bulbs are mass produced by Philips & Osram and TRUE HID projectors have the concentrated spread of light at the cutoff which is going to be the furthest away from the car.

Don't get me wrong the Morimoto Mini H1 kit is great but the bulbs are aftermarket.

Ok, enough of what you shouldn't do, TC OEM 08'+ headlight w/ halogen projectors aren't that bad with H11 PNP kits, but stay below 6K or it gets bad quickly. Currently running new H11 TC projectors w/4300K bulbs at 35W w/ custom curved cutoff shields. LINK

The TRS Morimoto D2S Quick Retro kit is a PNP kit direct swap, but the output isn't concentrated at the cutoff and doesn't travel very far into the distance. Look here fail I'd take stock halogen's with HIDs any day over the Mini D2S.

Based on my experience with this HID topic, think OEM and what goes into a true HID system car manufactures use for longevity.

OEM Ballasts - 35Watt w/ D2S connectors
OEM Bulbs - D2S, D2R, D4S, etc. Many option here
OEM Projectors - Koito, Stanley, Hella, etc.

Here's a direct LINK to my build using 08'+ headlights w/ Lexus RX300AFS D2S projectors Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs and Denso 35W ballasts... not complete yet....

If I had to do it again I would just install in my OEM 08'+ headlights, Denso 35Watt ballasts and 4300K Morimoto bulbs and be done with it...but I'm in too deep and the end is near!!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey DigitalPro thanks for the great info! I currently have 08 headlights with a 5k hid kit. So you're saying best bet is to just stick with the 08s and buy better ballasts and bulbs?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice night shots. This is something I'll probably have to do.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey DigitalPro thanks for the great info! I currently have 08 headlights with a 5k hid kit. So you're saying best bet is to just stick with the 08s and buy better ballasts and bulbs?

Right you are, H1's are bulb sizes usually for foglight projectors, example: "ebay halo civic lights"

OEM sized bulbs would do you better for OEM projectors halogen or not VS the aftermarket projectors. But your best bet is find some good set of OEM D2S projectors and retro fit ;)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, let's talk about HID systems...

OEM ballasts startup is around 3-4 seconds, extremely fast and powerful.
Morimoto's startup is around 7-8 seconds and the other aftermarkets out there are over 10 seconds. When you see the OEM's in action you might just what them...$100-$200 for OEMs

OEM Bulbs will have close to the rated lumen output 3000+ and will be perfectly aligned when seated in the projector. Think OEM quality.

OEM HID projectors with use "D" series HID bulbs and have more width and a concentrated light beam closer to the cutoff.

Unfortunately the 08'+ TC headlights have a built in shroud which limits the space to install many great projectors out there.. I've only heard of Acura TSX and Honda s2000 projectors installed in the headlights. It's not easy and takes a lot of knowhow to get the correctly aligned behind the shroud. PITA

On to what I have done with a new set of 08'+ OEM headlights.
Picked up a set of Depo headlights off eBay for $200 and took the plastic brackets out to install in the OEMs, these brackets have more of a opening to install the wider bowl the RX330AFS has. My retrofit is almost done using the RX330's, OEM buckets, and Denso ballasts.

I will have my 09' OEM headlights which I recently installed new OEM metal brackets and new H11 projectors w/4300 HIDs & Clear lens up for sale soon after my new ones are installed, parts were pulled from the brand set of OEMs.
BTW the H11 halogen w/HID have custom curved shields with (no step) installed for a sharp cutoff line. These blow away stock headlights.

Here's some links to my many months of tinkering with this headlight project.

LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK

Here's another thread on SL started a while ago LINK RX330AFS can be done with OEM buckets and DEPO inner brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
813b3cdc.jpg (410.5 KB, 76 views)
EagleEyes20.jpg (419.1 KB, 100 views)
234260f5.jpg (334.2 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by DigitalPro; 03-03-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: word
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stick with the stock 08's if you don't want the challenge of a retrofit.
Better bulbs like Morimoto's will make a difference, I know, I bought plenty of the $15 aftermarkets only to see a big difference with the Morimoto's installed. As for ballasts, it's all about the startup time. I started with DDMs, then Morimoto's only to see Denso's in the TRS shop startup almost instantly. Also OEM ballast will come with D2S
connectors, not the 2 wire AMP style bulbs, but there's always adapters.

Quick Reply: TRS Morimoto mini H1 kit