Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Trying to lighten my car up a bit...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol wow I've never noticed a difference from having a passenger. especially my girl. But I guess the weight could just be offset by the 20hp girls in the passenger seat add
Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
lol wow I've never noticed a difference from having a passenger. especially my girl. But I guess the weight could just be offset by the 20hp girls in the passenger seat add

Thats hilarious. Yea for some reason I notice a difference big time. Plus I dont know if your profile is updated but if you only have headers onthe car...thats not enough power gain to notice a difference I would think
Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCmaniak

Thats hilarious. Yea for some reason I notice a difference big time. Plus I dont know if your profile is updated but if you only have headers onthe car...thats not enough power gain to notice a difference I would think
yeah I didn't really notice much of a difference with my headers. I got em mainly because I love the way they look and they sound pretty good with the stock exhaust. (but now I am going to have a great time trying to pick a cat-back that wont be raspy down the line.)
Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCmaniak

yeah I didn't really notice much of a difference with my headers. I got em mainly because I love the way they look and they sound pretty good with the stock exhaust. (but now I am going to have a great time trying to pick a cat-back that wont be raspy down the line.)

No matter what you are going to get rasp when you install aftermarket headers. Itll be that way with ANY exhaust you go with. Unfortunately buying an aftermarket header comes with the curse of having to buy a good size or two decent size resonators as well. But yea when you get that catback exhaust youll notice a big difference with the headers. As of right now only having headers...the rest of your exhaust flow is still bottlenecked from the stock piping. boooooooo!!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I suppose headers was a strange power adder to begin with, I just hated the way the stock headers looked.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

What about removing sound deadening material?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Um.. Not to sound rude or anything but, diet? Drop 20 lbs. Cf hood. I disagree with most people. DoNOT take out the spare and jack.. Unless you are racing. But on your way to the track have it with you or have a buddy follow you with it in his trunk. The ONE time, ONE time I took out my spare I got a flat. Never will I drive on street without my spare. But diet and cf always make a good combo
Old 03-03-2008, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I took out my spare, jack, tools, and trunk liner on Day 1. I have AAA Plus membership - best money I ever spent. I get free tows, free lockout service, free maps and travel guides. The best part is that you can apply the membership benefits to any car. I used the lockout service 4 times last year to break into my buddies' cars for free. You can even get them to come out to a locked car and make a fresh key on the spot. Nice!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you didn't want to go F/I but that'd be the best way to improve your power to weight ratio without sacrificing any interior.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to mention, you can get the Fix-a-flat things. It won't help you if you have a blow out but regular flats are handled just fine. Swapping the tire for a can of Fix-a-flat will save you quite a few lbs.

Most of the stuff that keeps the car looking civilized is the heavy stuff. If you want to keep the car looking normal, you'll have to ditch a lot of lightweight stuff.

For instance, someone mentioned the sound deadening material. It's beneath your carpets. I think there are a few lbs to be had there. Also the bolts for the LATCH anchors as well as the LATCH anchors themselves can be removed. There are a few other bolts and nuts around the tC that don't serve any purpose. Just make sure you don't remove the ones that do.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
^ I took out my spare, jack, tools, and trunk liner on Day 1. I have AAA Plus membership - best money I ever spent. I get free tows, free lockout service, free maps and travel guides. The best part is that you can apply the membership benefits to any car. I used the lockout service 4 times last year to break into my buddies' cars for free. You can even get them to come out to a locked car and make a fresh key on the spot. Nice!
Ya my buddy did that when he was doing his sr20 swap. Said AAA was the smartest thing he ever did when it came to modifying cars.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
SL Member

Yeah I suppose headers was a strange power adder to begin with, I just hated the way the stock headers looked.

no way man the headers you put on are a great mod. Just get them resonators to cancel the rasp and youll be stylin
Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

AAA does you no good if you are in a hurry or in an emergency. I can have my tire changed and be back on the road in 10 minutes... most of the time well before AAA gets there Fixaflat has been known to be terrible for a tire.. so if you are going to replace it, then maybe, but I dont like using it. Again, the tiny change you will see on the street from removing 20 - 30 lbs of weight is negligible. I would just as soon have my spare with me. I take out my spare and jack when I autocross... and there is a small improvement, but we are measuring in hundredths of seconds, so every little tiny thing counts. For the guy driving on the street, it is barely noticeable at all. Not worth the tradeoff of having no spare IMO.

As for noticing an extra body in the car, try autoxing all day, then having someone ride with you I have gone from one run to the next having a 250 lb passenger as a ride along before.. definitely a difference under that type of driving