Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Universal Intake Bypass Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Universal Intake Bypass Valve?

Hey Guys,

Quick Question : I want an intake for my tC But I dont want the worries of having an intake. I was going to buy the intakes on ebay, you know the generic cold air ones. I was wondering if you could use an AEM Intake bypass valve with the generic intakes, granted the size of the bypass valve and the intake tube are the same.

Any Ideas?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im pretty sure you could get away with that. A bypass valve wont make much difference on any intake structure, itll just make it slightly longer. I heard it might hurt the preformance a little.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm not sure it would hurt performance but it sure will help your mental peace if it's rainig. I have Injen CAI and everytime it rains i go to panick mode everytime I see a big puddle of water.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can but make sure you get the right size by pass vaule. Also depending on the intake you might have to cut the pipe or modify the intake mounting points. I have a injen CAI with the 3" AME bypass vaule and i had to lift the mounting of the intake up by half a inch so the the pipes would line up.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

U'll be fine w/out a bypass valve. I've been running my CAI for well over a year now w/out any problem through rain/puddles/car washes/ etc.

You wont need to worry about water unless you somehow manage to submerge the front end of your car into a large body of water... which in that case, yer car would prolly be gone anyhow.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KINGxOFxSKA
U'll be fine w/out a bypass valve. I've been running my CAI for well over a year now w/out any problem through rain/puddles/car washes/ etc.

You wont need to worry about water unless you somehow manage to submerge the front end of your car into a large body of water... which in that case, yer car would prolly be gone anyhow.
He is right. If you do go with a CAI not a short ram you might not need a by-vaule. This is becuase where the the air filter is. It's coverd all round with plactic<-(the finder liner and the bottom plactic covers of your car). So i don't think water can even get in there by hitting a puddle.