Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

widebody question from the young and dumb one

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Default widebody question from the young and dumb one

if i was to put on a widebody kit such as the obsidian kit, how to you fill in the gap between the edge of the tire and edge of the new fender. is it wider tires or something?

just wonderin'
Old 04-06-2007, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

I think they leave it the way it is? IMO, dont do it. I personally hate body kits! You'rs looks fine with a lip kit!
Old 04-07-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: widebody question from the young and dumb one

Originally Posted by SCIONshane
if i was to put on a widebody kit such as the obsidian kit, how to you fill in the gap between the edge of the tire and edge of the new fender. is it wider tires or something?

just wonderin'
You would need wider wheels and I do mean way.....wider.......
Old 04-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned
SL Member

if you plan to drive everyday i wouldnt do widebody. i have a cf lip kit and hate driving with that
Old 04-07-2007, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

an upgrade of wheels/tires to at least 18 preferably 19's and wheel spacers....they go on the car before you put the wheels on so that they stick out more
Old 04-07-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

roll the fender, and dont get spacers, they are horrible, and you will get vibration at higher speeds.

so roll the fender, and get a wider wheel, or get a wheel with a different offset to put the wheel out more. but if ur getting a widebody, you should get a wide wheel. looks better then an offset or spaced wheel
Old 04-13-2007, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
roll the fender, and dont get spacers, they are horrible, and you will get vibration at higher speeds.

so roll the fender, and get a wider wheel, or get a wheel with a different offset to put the wheel out more. but if ur getting a widebody, you should get a wide wheel. looks better then an offset or spaced wheel
How do you roll fiberglass? First get the kit then measure for your offset. Pick out a set of wheels that will match that offset. They will be about 2" wider. And yes you will have a bigger lip. Do not use a spacer if you dont have to. Please keep in mind that you will have to cut away some of your existing quarter panel so your wheels don't rub. Then you can lay out as much as you want.
If you havent done any body work before, then this shouldn't be your first project. Get a pro to help.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

Wow - there are a LOT of conflicting answers here...

1.) You don't actually NEED wider wheels - you need a custom offset. Yes, you CAN get wider wheels, if you choose to. My wheels are 19x8.5 with a -3/-4 offset (front/back). Offset is what "pushes" you wheels farther out from the body.

2.) Whatever you do - AVOID WHEEL SPACERS! These are one of the most dangerous things you can add to your car! Stay away!

3.) You will absolutely need to CUT the originial quarter panels to allow the wheels to come out to the edge of the widebody. Like the previous person suggested, get a professional's help! Once you go wide, you can't go back without costly repairs - so you'd better make sure that is what you want to do.

4.) If your car is a daily driver - I highly suggest not getting a widebody kit. Wheels will run twice as much, the amount you pay to practically paint your entire car, the cost of installation, and the kit alone will cost a pretty penny. Imagine if you get in a fender bender - are you going to have the money to repair/replace everything?

Otherwise - have fun!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ladies and gentlemen Cynce as left the building, class is over an you are dismissed!

Good info.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scandalous
Wow - there are a LOT of conflicting answers here...

1.) You don't actually NEED wider wheels - you need a custom offset. Yes, you CAN get wider wheels, if you choose to. My wheels are 19x8.5 with a -3/-4 offset (front/back). Offset is what "pushes" you wheels farther out from the body.
Adding to cynce's lesson on widebody wheel gap...lol

if your planning to track, the whole point of a widebody is to get wider tire path....more traction.

but yea if your just to show and no go, lower negitive offset would work too =P

o yea an alternative would be fender flares =/
Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 AM
SL Member

ok just had to add a few things. on this 8 piece bodykit your talking about here unless its molded as a single unit if you were to get a fender binder or sideswiped you do not have to replace to entire kit. no you don't have to get "deep dish" rims with a wide lip yes you can get offset rikms to match up with you kit. the purpose of wider wheels is to have a wider footprint for better traction and what not. the point of the widebody kit is for areodynamics for a better flow over the wheels instead off wide wheels bugging out the side of your car. yes getting one of these kits is a costly process. but as the saying goes if you gonna get the big toys, you better be able to afford the maintainence. and widebody isn't always a bad idea for a daily driver, coming from a person who is getting the same kit installed, but yes I do hope you have the performance to back up this flashy lil kit your wanting.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey peepz,

now if you plan out your project (widebody) for a daily drive car. It can be a great car to have for daily, track, and show.

1. make sure that the widebody kit is modular. if your are looking for a show look you can mold the kit in for clean lines like Cynce did with "her tC". if you plan on DD or track you want the kit to be able to move a little. the stress of the body flexing during normal/spirited driving cretes the stress cracks in the kits.

2. install a clear bra on your front bumper, front fenders, and front portion of rear fender if your kit is FRP. since these areas normally get rock chips. I will cost alot up front but will save you in the long run. You won't have to buy touch paint or have your car repainted due to rock chips. Another option would be to get the AIT WBK in CF so all you have clear bra would be the front bumper.

3. track cars get wider rims/tires for grip/traction. Now on a Front wheel drive car it really does not do much unless you have LSD on that car. Yes you will get alittle better grip with out the LSD but to get the most out of the tires/rims you will need the LSD.

Now Cynce is on complete correct that you don't need wider rims to make the rims meet the fenders. You just need the correct offset for the car. For example the TRD rims for the tC are 19X8 with a 45 offset. Cynce decided on the best route. She went with a 19X8.5 with an offset that is close to each other. This way she can rotate her tires if she needs to, without affecting the look of her car. Now for example most widebody(s) you can go 19X8.5 front with 0 offset and 19X10 with a 35 offset. Now on a 5 X 100 bolt pattern that is really hard to find. This means custom rims and offset. You would normally see this offsets for 5X114 setups commonly. Now don't quote me on the offsets. You will need to determine your correct offset for you application when you get to it.

Sorry Cynce.. Pre-turbo pic.

Which if these cars have stagger rims?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would just stick with stock. Looks the best. Or, maybe its just me.