Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Windshield tint with satellite radio antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Windshield tint with satellite radio antenna?

I went to a window tint shop today to talk about putting tint on my windows. I asked him about putting a strip across the top of the windshield, but he saw the satellite radio antenna and said it would look very bad if he tried to cut the tint to fit around that. He said he'd have to take off the antenna and it wouldn't go back on well, plus the signal would suffer. I'm curious if he's just lazy, or is what he's saying true? Does anyone have tint on their windshield along with the satellite antenna?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

that isa valid possibility... reception could be lowered and he is right about the taking it off and not sticking well after putting it back on.... IMO i would probably do it anyway and use really strong weatherproof 3m tape on the back of the antenna when you reattach it and I would not go too dark on the strip.... if you do it post pics bc i was thinking about doing the strip and can picture it looking as good as I want it to
Old 07-01-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think what I'm gonna do is wait out the free 90 days for Satellite Radio and then either take off the antenna and tint the windshield or just install an external antenna instead.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:06 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i wouldn't think about the signal suffering from tint... but everything else would be probably true
Old 07-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Banned

Default tint vs. sattelite

If the tint he uses is a metallic film than it will interfere with the signal, plus that would be a lot more difficult to cut around that when trying to put on the film.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's just a solid black film. I had 5% tint put on the sides and back. I'm gonna wait until the satellite radio subscription runs out, then I'll probably do something to the windshield.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Windshield tint with satellite radio antenna?

Originally Posted by WillJitsu
I went to a window tint shop today to talk about putting tint on my windows. I asked him about putting a strip across the top of the windshield, but he saw the satellite radio antenna and said it would look very bad if he tried to cut the tint to fit around that. He said he'd have to take off the antenna and it wouldn't go back on well, plus the signal would suffer. I'm curious if he's just lazy, or is what he's saying true? Does anyone have tint on their windshield along with the satellite antenna?
First Off WHY do you want to put a strip of tint on the top of your windshield???....
That is like from the 90's dude!!...looks kinda "ghetto" as well!....

Thats just my opinion....Just dont do it!
Old 07-02-2006, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
First Off WHY do you want to put a strip of tint on the top of your windshield???....

Yeah I definitely see what you're saying. I've been going back and forth trying to decide about that strip. I definitely don't want the "ghetto" look, but I have talked to so many people that say it sucks without having a strip at the top. They say the sun shines in right above the rear view mirror during the day and it's blinding.

What is your opinion on putting 35% tint all over the windshield with no strip?
Old 07-02-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I definitely see what you're saying. I've been going back and forth trying to decide about that strip. I definitely don't want the "ghetto" look, but I have talked to so many people that say it sucks without having a strip at the top. They say the sun shines in right above the rear view mirror during the day and it's blinding.

Well..I am not much of a fan of window tinting..I USE to think Oh Yea Window Tinting is Cool...I even installed it on my other car...I dunno I like the clean look without having blacked out windows...Because in Cali you cant tint the fronts....I had 25% on my front windows on my other car and got pulled over by a Po-Po, got a fix it ticket...then had to go and scrape off the tint(pain in the A**)...So u asked my opinion??
Just Dont tint at ALL, get a cool pair of sunglasses!!..
Old 07-02-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've been in cars with and without that tint strip. IMO, it's a waste if you get it. If you're doing it because of the sun "blinding you," then that's what sun visors or even sunglasses are for.

Just go for the sunglasses, dude.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

windiw tint will effect some cars if it has a elemental (window installed) antenna. BMW 3 series were notorious for signal problems with AM and FM signal. an external antenna would be a better bet
Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well..I am not much of a fan of window tinting..I USE to think Oh Yea Window Tinting is Cool...I even installed it on my other car...I dunno I like the clean look without having blacked out windows...Because in Cali you cant tint the fronts....I had 25% on my front windows on my other car and got pulled over by a Po-Po, got a fix it ticket...then had to go and scrape off the tint(pain in the A**)...So u asked my opinion??
Just Dont tint at ALL, get a cool pair of sunglasses!!..
I live in FL and have 15% front and back windows and only got a ticket once but that was just because the officer was a dick and wanted to add that on top of the speeding ticket I got on the highway. It wasn't a fixit ticket either just a pay the fine ticket so I just paid it and kept the tint. That was almost a year ago haven't been pulled over since. My car is black and I couldn't imagine having clear windows on a black car, that definitely doesn't look "clean" imo. Plus, I have the strip on the top of the windshield, I don't really see how that is "ghetto" but you are most certainly entitled to your own opinion.