Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

wndow won't go up..do i really have to buy new door!!???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default wndow won't go up..do i really have to buy new door!!???

ok a few days ago i rolled my window down and when i went to roll it up it went up about half way then went back down. after looking and messing with it for a few it just seem as if the window came off track. my boyfriend and i got the door panel off and messed with it for hour or so. seem as if everytime it try to go up something was knocking it off track. so the next day i took it to goodyear because it was snowing and only like a min. from the house. after they messed with it for about a hour they call me in the shop and took a flash light showing me in between the door through were the window is(i don't know if it's the track or what) be the the side part that guides the window is all twisted. so goodyear told me to take it to a body shop maybe they would know more. they tell me some part that might fit it, but i should go to the dealer and look at the part before buying. so i did and it won't fix the issue. the dealer told me i would have to buy a door at $744 then pay $34 a hour for labor to change the doors, window and stuff. then i would have to get it painted and it would be about $1,100. i really don't know what to do and it seems like everyone around here doesn't know anything about my car! i've looked at maybe getting a door from a junkyard or something...saw a few on ebay, but it's not much cheaper. any ideas?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would say get the door and install yourself, but its more complicated these days because you have to hook up the harnesses that go through the door. if you or your BF can do that (maybe you can just cut the harness from the door jamb, then cut the one from the new door and solder the wires back together) i think itd be a good idea. good luck, sry i couldnt be of more help.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

replacing a door isnt that hard. Ive replaced the door on my xb before with the help of a friend.

Dont cut the harness. Theres a plug on the inside of the door boot that can be unplugged. you'll want to kill yourself if you cut the wires and have to strip and solder everything.

Door for my xb, complete (with window, handle, and interior panel) was $400 here in philly. Maybe you can use that as a reference price.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh whoa i had no clue there was a plug. thats pretty cool. guess i was wrong :D haha thats pretty good price too.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

was that door new or used? man i wish i could find it for that around here...i've looked online but with shipping it's crazy high...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Absolutely nothing to worry about!!! If everyone was telling you the truth and it actually is the guide for the window. My door flew open in a windstorm and bent the Shlt out of my window guide. (the one towards the front?) There are two bolts holding it in place. Not "EASY" to get to, but only took me about 2-3 minutes to remove. Once out, bend it back to normal. That was the hard part because it is so rigid and hard. (no pun intended lol) And when it is close, (it doesn't have to be perfect) Put it back in. This part took me about 15-20 minutes to get it to align properly. But now all said and done it saved me a couple hundred bucks and works fine. Been working good for about 3 months since it happened

Whole project took me about an hour, most of the time was spent bending the guide to a "good enough" condition. I used 2 pairs of "vice grip" locking pliers and a hammer

GOOD LUCK but really it is SOOOOOO easy, just sounds intimidating
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ Oh yeah and my total cost was FO FREE!!!!!!

Your absolute first move should be to try and find out what caused the guide to twist in the first place. Because if not it could easily twist again as soon as that action happens again.

It blows me away why someone would suggest spending $1110 total to replace a door because of a 2 dollar piece of metal that is removable!!! none the less

PLEASE keep us updated.... i've been there and wanna make sure you come out ok
Old 01-23-2009, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

yea if they told u u gotta replace it, i say u open it up and go in there with a hammer,, u might just fix it.. if not well they already told u, u had to replace it hahah
Old 01-23-2009, 05:23 PM
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you know what you do at the dealership. when they give you a price all you gotta say is ok ill go to the place or something to get it done for cheaper. then its funny cuz they feel like _______s. ____ dealerships.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

well today i went back to the bodyshop to see what i need to do about a door and if i could use a used one and what not...well while talking to the owner he ask me if my car has ever been wrecked because the that it's bent there was no way that happen with no damage because to look at the door it looks fine just a few dents from the @$$holes that live in my apt. building...and he said the more even odd part is that the window didn't break...i told him that back in july my mom drove my car and she got hit on the same side, but the door wasn't damage it was just the back wheel...he went on this long story about how the wreck could have caused it...or maybe the people who fixed it damaged it because they have to remove the glass to paint the car...so i called progressive and told them what the body shop told me and just so happens it's the same body shop they send all their cars for body work in nashville...so progressive guy just called and set up a car rental and i got to drop my car off monday to see what's up...& the progressive guy (i hate calling him that...Chad..lol) said someone from progressive would look at it and would have to see if some way they can link it to the wreck...he said he wasn't a 100% sure they would cover it but felt like progressive would...*fingers crossed* i hope they pay for it...but after reading tcizzler post that sounds like what the body shop will end up doin...