Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

100bhp/liter N/A possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
SL Member

Default 100bhp/liter N/A possible?

I've done this on Forza2 and Midnight Run 3DUB's tCs. But, I don't know if it's actually possible to do in real life though... And, you people might say "eh, why not go turbo for the best power and bang for the buck?" well, my uncle told me that a turbo would be the best way to make power out of my 2.4l, but I'm a bit skeptical about the tuners, I think they don't know what they are doing with the tC since they only tune those ___gy Hondas and ___gy Talons/Eclipse (I used to have the ___gy Talon turbo.) with a different ECU programming than our cars.

So, I think I'm going N/A instead so my uncle could help me out since he loves changing cam shafts, and top and bottom blocks for those monster sounding Camaros and Vettes. He's still getting some experience on turbo since the new SS Cobalts and the Saturn SKY has turbo. Anyway, what are the downsides of going N/A on tC to get 240bhp(not whp) compared to turbo except price. I want to know about it's reliability, how many people have done it, will it sound "___gy" when revving, which companies make the parts, and will it rev higher than OE specs? (I wish I could make it reach 7K RPM and still make power.) Does anyone got any links to a build similar to this and made close to my power goal?

And, BTW: I just received some KONI struts for my blown shocks(I didn't buy adj. coilovers) and it says on the manual that I have to extract the old struts on the front and use it's shell as a new housing for my new struts. I called the tune shop I bought it from and they said it's the only Koni part# for the tC. I just want to know if there is another version of the Koni strut that just bolts in place in the front?

Thanks for reading and all the help people!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You asked 2 questions and this site has sections for a reason. Answers to your questions below:

1. Use the search button
2. Use the search button
Old 07-01-2008, 08:03 PM
SL Member

I did search pal. It all came down to intakes and headers...

If you got a link to that sweet thread about a Naturally Aspirated tC engine build, it would be nice. (All the builds I see are for turbo apps.)

I don't give a ____ about CAIs, I don't take them as an N/A mod.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Search Scion tC Drivetrain & Power for 200HP
Old 07-01-2008, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 10bhp/liter N/A possible?

Originally Posted by turdbrains
___gy Hondas and ___gy Talons/Eclipse (I used to have the ___gy Talon turbo.)

will it sound "___gy" when revving
wow
Old 07-01-2008, 08:27 PM
SL Member

^^^ Have you seen those white boys with Civics driving around, then parking at a parking lot just to show their VTEC engines and show the 4inch muffler they got? Don't you find it ___gy, specially the sound the car and the owners make? Is there another term for that except "___gy" or "___"?

So is the 200 bhp or whp? If it's whp it would convert to 220-230bhp right? Is there a way to squeeze out another 10bhp?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You didn't read any of those threads apparently. Here's the Cliff Notes edition: It can't be done, the head won't flow enough to allow for that kind of power.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and doing a cam swap on a N/A TC would require extensive valve train work...

Personally I'd go F/I... 240 is easily possible, and tuning to make 240 safe and efficient wouldnt be any rocket science!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

I love the term "___gy". Is that politically correct?

BTW, search tcpete. Once you search him, you will find your answers.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10hp per litre 2.4 litres 2.4(10) = 24hp?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlckdOutTC

Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
Originally Posted by BlckdOutTC

Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 AM
SL Member

I was wondering the same thing. I hope that he isn't using the same calculator when modding his car.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:12 AM
SL Member

I found a dude with a username TCpete. He has this really nice white tC that makes like 189hp, I couldn't find a dyno graph so I don't know if it's converted to bhp or it's still whp.

I called my uncle about this, and he said it's theoretically possible for my engine to make 10bhp/liter if I could find the right parts for the job, and he said I need to port the engine to allow more power. He also said that I would eat gas like crazy since we had to make it run at higher volumes of fuel and he said the only problem is that I have a plastic intake manifold which may not be of good design to deliver air to correctly run the power I want. Is there a metal intake manifold that have bigger ports for more air?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 AM
SL Member

BTW: I messed up on the title, I haven't noticed it till just now...

I wanted to have the 100bhp/liter thing since the Celica GTS, 20V 4AG, and S2000 all have that or even more.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bigger ports are necessarily better for more air flow... if just slapped together, it can cause a lot of turbulence... And getting a properly designed manifold that can give you consistent benefits throughout the powerband is gonna run some $$$
Old 07-02-2008, 01:30 AM
SL Member

I don't want to go to the turbo section since they are quite mean there so...

Is there anyone here with a stock internals turbo tC that has more than 50K miles on the turbocharger kit, and even more on the engine? How is the health of the engine now? Just wondering, because my uncle told me that the OE piston on the 07s are quite high comps to run turbo, he said it should be around the 8's if I want 240bhp and run it reliably for about as long as an OE turbo car goes before a rebuild is done. He also, said something about remapping of the fuel system using an ECU flasher to make it run (can't spell it, stockeametric, or something like that...) and not run rich on fuel.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Each engine is different... To say it's safe for an engine over 50k miles is just a generalization, and there's no way to know for sure everythings kosher...

I think the lowest comp Ive seen are pistons are in the 9.5 range... And if you're gonna stay N/A, you want to stay away from those... Probably wanna bump up your compression... But that really depends on what you're gonna wanna do as far as getting into the guts of the engine...

ANd it's probaby best to go w/ a piggy-back or standalone if you'd like to do something w/ the fuel... I know toyota has a reflash that can be done w/ the supercharger, but not sure of any other flashs out there...
Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like your uncle knows his stuff... And us turbo guys aren't that mean!... hahaha...
Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 AM
SL Member

I don't know if this is true, but I went to Toyota last week and the parts guy told me that TRD may just make a turbo that cost 4grand for everything and you get to keep your warranty. Is there any lead to this, or was the parts dudes just ____in?

I had a Talon 4WD turbo once and the engine just suddenly blew when I was waiting at a stop sign. Could that same thing happen to my tC when I turbo it in the long run?

BTW: I found some 8.8:1 pistons for turbo applications at Dezod, and I want to know where I could find pistons for N/A applications something with like 10.3:1 or something. I don't know if that's too high, I'm not the pro, I just learned from Gran Turismo and Forza.

Quick Reply: 100bhp/liter N/A possible?