Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

100bhp/liter N/A possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol, good ol' Gran Turismo and Forza... I wasnt 100% sure on lowest comp...

I wouldnt expect a bolt-on turbo from any dealer, too many way's they would eat it due to something going wrong...

I think you have better chances of them coming out w/ a turbo'd tc...

I wouldnt hold your breathe...
Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The answer to your question is yes it can be done. 320hp normally aspirated.

http://www.scion.com/scionracing/dra...g_horizon.html

Realistically, it's not something i'd even attempt to duplicate. Our 2.4s are not the hot ticket for performance. After all, it's just a Camry motor. The RIGHT way to hit those numbers would involve massive head work, custom pistons, fabricated intake, custom fuel management system, standalone electronics, you get the picture. Then you need to think about getting the power to the pavement. Add a Quaife LSD and custom axles along with a dual disk clutch and we're talking a huge investment.

Your uncle is right, the problems that arise with turbo kits and longevity are the pistons. Most people slap on a kit and run big boost without considering lower comp pistons, head porting and dual overlap cams. The engine must be built for turbo from the ground up.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JE pistons or any piston company can make you a custom application but your talking big BIG bucks.

valve train work and other internal parts would be required to meet that requirement. i think its very possible with that 2.4 its a physically strong motor. the xB 1.5 is very limited so i cant do much :-(

oh well want to go fast buy a fox body mustang :-)
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been looking for the same answer for the xb-seems there is potential for major problems with FI.

There are some really serious racers (drag mostly) with tC complete engine builds-these serious people (even though they are using FI) will know a whole lot about flowing the motor and what holds up and the prices.

I would say to seek them out here or on the web in general and try to get some input.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was at boti this weekend and i talked to leslie. she said her tc was only making 250hp?!?!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i am in the process of building a ground up n/a setup, i am shooting for 210 whp, corrected... right now i am having the block hot tanked and re sleeved. I am also having the head ported way out, with knife edged and all gasket matched, the valve seats on the intake side are going to have a 5 angle port, and the exhaust will have a 3 angle port. to top it off with all cryo treated springs, retainers and values and a set of brian crower 272 lift cams. i also have all the other little piddly ____ i.e. i/h/e, torque dampner, pulleys, and other various bolt ons. As far as fuel goes i am using a walboro 200lph pump, its a bit much but i will tune it down, i am running stock injectors, but well will figure it out. and i am using the aem f/i controller to start...

so thats my project, everyone knows....
Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by PBCsolutions
The answer to your question is yes it can be done. 320hp normally aspirated.

http://www.scion.com/scionracing/dra...g_horizon.html

Realistically, it's not something i'd even attempt to duplicate. Our 2.4s are not the hot ticket for performance. After all, it's just a Camry motor. The RIGHT way to hit those numbers would involve massive head work, custom pistons, fabricated intake, custom fuel management system, standalone electronics, you get the picture. Then you need to think about getting the power to the pavement. Add a Quaife LSD and custom axles along with a dual disk clutch and we're talking a huge investment.

Your uncle is right, the problems that arise with turbo kits and longevity are the pistons. Most people slap on a kit and run big boost without considering lower comp pistons, head porting and dual overlap cams. The engine must be built for turbo from the ground up.
Holy crap! That's some hardcore stuff right there! Must have cost more than a tC fully loaded with all the Scion and dealer options to do it.

Anyway, If I could make some 240+bhp power out of the tC's 2.4L N/A I should expect to pay something like 6 grand or more right? With that money on turbo, how well would my tC's engine perform if I do it right from the engine to the custom spec turbo system? I already got a Stage 2 clutch which is made for turbo I believe.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ sounds like Terminal is doing it up right.

the only advise I can offer is to read up on these motors, search this website thoroughly, go to a couple Scion Drag events, then plan out your exact goals for the car and take it from there. There's an old saying- speed costs money, how fa$t do you want to go.......
Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ well the only thing i am having trouble finding is a stronger balanced crank, knowing me ill be the only one in scion history to destroy one.... i also set a goal of a 7500 rev redline, i figure thats 1500 revs more than redline.... hello raspy exhaust note

p.s. if anyone knows where i can find an intake mainfold with short runners, let me know.... in seachring!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are all wrong....

some of u are spending alot more money then what you need to and some of you obviously dont know much about how vvti works...

1. using cams do not work with out car for NA why... because we dont run on lift we run on timing to make power.... lift has no play in this. if ou studied the cams and read on how vvti works then you would know this.. and anyone saying "ive got cams or im getting cams" is full of sh*t.

2. the basics and all u need is high compression pistons, stronger rods, new bearings and a ported and polished head with a new valve train thats stronger... other then i/h/e and a FULL standalone unit like AEM's or hydras full stand alone were you have complete control of the fuel, timing... ( timing key being advanced timing) .... w/e money and hoopla your spending is just wasted money and a pipe dream unless your gettin parts for bling or safety....

u do not need a new crank as out cranks support 700 whp ( proven by kenny tran) a new crank is stupid and waste of time... not even knifing the crank for more oil is a waste for NA...if you were smart you'd pick up an 07+ block for the extra oil squirters and upgrades from the 05-06 blocks and start there...

you dont even need to rev that high...7k rpms is just fine... but my final dyno was 191 whp UNTUNED no EMS and still NO UPGRADED midpipe reving to stock redline... with those 3 things i would have and easily could have toped 200...or more but i ran out money and focused my new build on bigger things and a faster car...

ive said this 1k times over.. and still ppl dont wana listen or dont do the research or searching...

anyone saying "im using the FIC for tuning"... ur full of a pipe dream as there is not advance timing feature and if u just plan on tuning fuel your going to need alot more then that to stay at or get near 200... stock injectors are fine and so it the stock fuel pump....

.... knw your motor before you start building and throwing money out the door...

unless you guys have large rediculous budgets... be realistic and set reasonable goal.. all your doing is seting up the fail boat going other wise....
Old 07-02-2008, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the same as far as the cams-the research I've found says that the timing might decide where the cam lifts in relation to the engine position but the amount of lift is changed by the cams
Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the duration is in direct correlation to the timing.. the vvti unit advances or retards the cam angle there for making the duration vary.. hence.. vvt-i.. variable valve timing... if it had any lift involved it would have been the counterpart motors from lexus's for example which use vvtl-i
Old 07-02-2008, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
you are all wrong....

some of u are spending alot more money then what you need to and some of you obviously dont know much about how vvti works...

1. using cams do not work with out car for NA why... because we dont run on lift we run on timing to make power.... lift has no play in this. if ou studied the cams and read on how vvti works then you would know this.. and anyone saying "ive got cams or im getting cams" is full of sh*t.

2. the basics and all u need is high compression pistons, stronger rods, new bearings and a ported and polished head with a new valve train thats stronger... other then i/h/e and a FULL standalone unit like AEM's or hydras full stand alone were you have complete control of the fuel, timing... ( timing key being advanced timing) .... w/e money and hoopla your spending is just wasted money and a pipe dream unless your gettin parts for bling or safety....

u do not need a new crank as out cranks support 700 whp ( proven by kenny tran) a new crank is stupid and waste of time... not even knifing the crank for more oil is a waste for NA...if you were smart you'd pick up an 07+ block for the extra oil squirters and upgrades from the 05-06 blocks and start there...

you dont even need to rev that high...7k rpms is just fine... but my final dyno was 191 whp UNTUNED no EMS and still NO UPGRADED midpipe reving to stock redline... with those 3 things i would have and easily could have toped 200...or more but i ran out money and focused my new build on bigger things and a faster car...

ive said this 1k times over.. and still ppl dont wana listen or dont do the research or searching...

anyone saying "im using the FIC for tuning"... ur full of a pipe dream as there is not advance timing feature and if u just plan on tuning fuel your going to need alot more then that to stay at or get near 200... stock injectors are fine and so it the stock fuel pump....

.... knw your motor before you start building and throwing money out the door...

unless you guys have large rediculous budgets... be realistic and set reasonable goal.. all your doing is seting up the fail boat going other wise....

heres the thing i am building my tc, off my knowledge of the way i built my b20 vtech, granted i am building a toyota now, its a lot different, i wasnt trying to put that out there to get bashed, but to offer my knowledge of high comp motors, i used 13.5.1 comp pistions on my eg hatch, and was pegging redline at 8700 revs... its all wat your used to, i am still learning vvti motors, so any help you can offer to help in my build is appericated!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

geez... just slap on a b20 vtec and you'll be set.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well its not like your typical ls/vtec or b20 vtec TQ monster... and still not your typical high revin b/k series motors.. you have to think of it in terms of an h22 non vtec with no at ALL.. and rotating the cap isnt going to advance your timing.. its all sensor and electronic now.. similar to k series.. only K's u can account for lift for some added power....

right now the only thing that can save u on NA is a full standalone... ( the only thing that can guarentee advanced timing) since greddy has not released the vvti controller for the scion tc.. we are fked... and stuck using full stand alones... u CAN tune with FIC but only adjusting fuel trims are gonna get u so far... basically u can compare it to a b20vtec but just ignore the factor of timing and work only on fuel.. thats all u can do...
Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just throwing this out there, but what about using the Camcon? seems to be the only solution for controlling vvti timing.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ works fine for a few days then the ecu say oh really FU.. and adjusts itsself to fight the camcom...
Old 07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

lulz.
TCpete iz skoolin everyonez.

Pete to the rescue and FTMFW...AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM
SL Member

Looks like I need to save $2000 for either side (N/A or turbo) so, I could make use of the variable valve timing and original camshafts. Does/could this have all the safety features of the stock ECU like the fuel pump shut off in case of a deployed airbag and the feature where the engine automatically changes setting from different climates for optimal engine power? (I heard all modern ECUs have them standard?)

I was looking for that ECU reflash thing and the only thing I could find is the TRD reflash that is made for the 05-06, I wonder if that works with the 07 since I checked there are quite a few differences. Are there other flashes that are homebrewed?

Do I need UEGO if I don't go on the track?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

there are no flashes or chips available for the tc besides the SCed one from the toyota dealer.
getting the SC reflash w/o the SC wont do anything for you, itll prob actually be worse.
They have the reflash for 07's but like i said, thats irrelevant unless u get the SC.
The only things out there are Piggybacks or Standalones.

Quick Reply: 100bhp/liter N/A possible?