Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2,000 miles over warranty... need new block??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:26 AM

Default 2,000 miles over warranty... need new block??

So the other day I was driving and my temp gauge maxed out so I pulled over to the nearest place and had Firestone look at it, they said I had a coolant leak and needed a new head gasket for 1200.00 fml, and so after that I thought that has to be bull____ its a newer car so i went to the toyota/scion dealership and they thought there was no way, they rarely see that, and then I get a call today saying that my car had been running hot and that they need to replace the entire block for 5 grand and that since its out of warranty they can't help. I've been trying to go higher and higher in management but nobody is helping much. I'm a college student working for 8 dollars and hour and 5 thousand is unheard of for me to afford, no help from parents. I don't know what to do, has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? If so let me know if you have any advice for me. Oh and the mileage is 62,000. I don't drive it hard and get oil changed every 5k.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a known problem with the 2az-fe engine's. Could be possible that the head studs are stripped and the head bolts are slowly loosening, which can probably explain why you need a new block. If that is the case, there is a chance you can re-thread the block. Otherwise, I would just tell you to swap in another used engine. I have only seen this happen once personally, but when you google search it, it's apparently a common problem.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by N0AuTHoRiTy
This is a known problem with the 2az-fe engine's. Could be possible that the head studs are stripped and the head bolts are slowly loosening, which can probably explain why you need a new block. If that is the case, there is a chance you can re-thread the block. Otherwise, I would just tell you to swap in another used engine. I have only seen this happen once personally, but when you google search it, it's apparently a common problem.
Thats exactly what they said the problem is, theyre saying they will cover the parts but I still have to pay 3,000 for labor.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its crazy that some people are having this issue, when there are people like me and others who are close to 500whp and have never had a prob with the head studs backing out. Were usign ARP studs, but that shouldnt affect the fact that theyre still threaded into the same casting. If the casting/threading is stripping out on our motors as a defect you would think those of us in this power range would be blowin ____ apart left n right.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:02 AM

I've been taking it higher and higher with corporate scion so we'll see what happens.. so far theyve gone down to 3000 from 4800 but thats not good enough I need it 1000 or less or im gonna be cruising on a nice big bus
Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by N0AuTHoRiTy
^^ interesting... personally I've never had that happen to me in either of my tC's on what are commonly stated as "mission critical parts". in other words, can NOT fail because if they did fail it could likely result in damage, serious injury, and/or even death.

I've been building high end custom cars for clients for several years now, so I have a decent amount of experience. So, if Toyota donest step up to the plate for you, I would highly suggest you find another motor to swap. Because if there's damage to the block it's possible that one or more fluid channels has been compromised.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:17 AM

toyota went down to 2400 for the repair, brand new block and head gasket and some of the labor being covered. still really ____ty.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by macbook
toyota went down to 2400 for the repair, brand new block and head gasket and some of the labor being covered. still really ____ty.
Maybe you should talk to a lawyer, if you did all the proper maintenance you should not have any issues until many...many...miles passed your warranty, not 2K miles after, that sounds to me like it was defective almost immediately after you bought it....good luck thou...
Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

buy a motor from the junk yard with low miles for around 1,000 and put it in urself over the weekend
Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member

some guy fixed his for under $500

sure beats forking over 4k for a new block