Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2005 Scion Tc belt tensioner help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 05:52 PM
SL Member

Default 2005 Scion Tc belt tensioner help

My Tensioner is leaking hydraulic fluid, so I need to change it out. I know this is a serious PITA, and people have asked questions many times but I just wanted to clear some things up. Is it basically the same as the camry? Can I remove the passenger wheel, jack up engine with wood on the oil pan, disconnect lower mount, and upper mount. Will this be enough to get at that long bolt?

I'm only asking because I've seen threads where people say the 05-06 is different. Some people say you gotta lower the engine. Some people say you gotta undo the transmission mount too. I'm hoping it's like th camry, and I'll be all good. If anyone knows about the 2005 Scion TC process that would be great. I'm poor, so I have to do everything myself. Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:05 PM
SL Member

Also, If someone could just link a good DIY that would be awesome. For some reason this site didn't have one posted as a sticky (I looked through all of them). Another site had it but it got erased, and is no longer available to read. I'm just a little desperate since there are zero youtube videos for the scion, they're all for the camry.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think this is a 2005.

EDIT: If your power steering lines prevent raising the engine high enough, there are two screws that secure the metal power steering lines to the fender well. Remove the two screws to raise the engine higher. See the attached pdf. Arrows point to the location of the screws.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fender Screws.pdf (580.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by 62Fender; 05-23-2023 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:33 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
I think this is a 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbntgv_kLH0

EDIT: If your power steering lines prevent raising the engine high enough, there are two screws that secure the metal power steering lines to the fender well. Remove the two screws to raise the engine higher. See the attached pdf. Arrows point to the location of the screws.

Thank you very much for this info... I needed that info for the power steering lines..I appreciate that. It will be great if I don't even have to remove the mount like in the video but I have my reservations. I'm not sure how he's creating that gap with the metal piece still attached on top of the mount.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're welcome. Here's another diagram that shows the metal piece that bolts to the passenger side motor mount. The same metal (aluminum) piece is bolted to the timing chain cover. You don't have to remove the aluminum piece from the timing chain cover. You only have to remove two bolts and one nut to separate the aluminum piece from the steel mount. I think this will allow for the space you see in the video. The aluminum piece is shown in the diagram. The steel mount is not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Engine Mount.pdf (289.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-23-2023, 06:03 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
You're welcome. Here's another diagram that shows the metal piece that bolts to the passenger side motor mount. The same metal (aluminum) piece is bolted to the timing chain cover. You don't have to remove the aluminum piece from the timing chain cover. You only have to remove two bolts and one nut to separate the aluminum piece from the steel mount. I think this will allow for the space you see in the video. The aluminum piece is shown in the diagram. The steel mount is not.

Awesome!!!! You really helped me out big time!!! Thanks Again...