Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2006 Scion tC - 450 miles, 5-speed transmission concern

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dropped the car off today for them to look at it, do the inspection, and have the door dent repaired.

I'll let you know what they say when I pick the car up tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When i first got my car before I had a feel for it I was actually over analyzing everything as well and kept worrying something was wrong.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member

I have my Tc for almost 17k now since I got it 8 month ago, the tick for the transmission is you have to warm at least 3 to 4 mins to have it shift smoothly, so nothing to worry about.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member

7,500 miles on my tC and I noticed when I first picked up my car (10 miles) that I had a problem getting into first and second sometimes. It went away for me at about 3,000 miles.

I also installed the TWM Stage Two short throw shifter with one of their 590g weighted ***** and I haven't had a problem since then. Spend the 100 or so bucks and upgrade to the short throw shifter of your choice. I notice an amazing difference with mine and I would never go back.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well,
Dealer results: Transmission shifts as designed, no issues found.

Other than that the car is inspected now, registered, and the dent was taken out of the door.

Paul G.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captain_co
7,500 miles on my tC and I noticed when I first picked up my car (10 miles) that I had a problem getting into first and second sometimes. It went away for me at about 3,000 miles.

I also installed the TWM Stage Two short throw shifter with one of their 590g weighted ***** and I haven't had a problem since then. Spend the 100 or so bucks and upgrade to the short throw shifter of your choice. I notice an amazing difference with mine and I would never go back.
i'm going to have my shifting issues inspected before i get a short shifter. hell the dealer wouldn't even look at my car because of my engine damper...they want it gone first
Old 04-06-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, you should never get a "New" car with that many miles, you can ask them to switch it. They beat the crap out of those cars because they could care less about them. That "demo" or "driving to dealership" garbage is something that should be avoided because the engine is sensitive and should not take any punishment initial 500 miles until it is broken in, properly . When my father bought his camry it came with over 100 miles and he took it back without a problem, I think they give you a week.

Now, back to topic. The car does not need to be warmed up for 3-5 mins unless you are talking about less than 15 degree weather here, even then 3 mins is plenty. You are only burning up gas. You should wait 10-15 secs and just take it easy the first 5 miles and your fine.

I do have to agree though, the tranny is not the best on the tC. From my own experience, I had a brake fluid leak. They could not figure out where it was coming from and just thought I was "riding the clutch". After the third time coming over there they finally decided to look a little deeper and found that my master clutch cylinder had a leak. The whole system ended up being replaced, mind you, my brake light came on at only around 850 miles because I almost had no fluid.

Hope this helps if anything, and see if you can switch for another tC with 10 miles or less.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

menace is right, but i usually allow longer than 15 seconds before i go, i wait about a minute and i shift through all the gears to get the fluid moving.

menace, i got a huge laugh out of your awesome list of mods...i like the washing fluid and tire caps...ha!
Old 04-06-2006, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
menace is right, but i usually allow longer than 15 seconds before i go, i wait about a minute and i shift through all the gears to get the fluid moving.

menace, i got a huge laugh out of your awesome list of mods...i like the washing fluid and tire caps...ha!
Old 04-06-2006, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
A short shifter doesnt actually make your car any faster, it just shortens the throws so you get from one gear to the next quicker, delaying downtime between gears.
lol.. I love this. "it doesn't make the car faster, but it lets you get into the next gear faster"..

don't you think getting into the next gear faster would make the car faster??
Old 04-06-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Menace
First, you should never get a "New" car with that many miles, you can ask them to switch it. They beat the crap out of those cars because they could care less about them. That "demo" or "driving to dealership" garbage is something that should be avoided because the engine is sensitive and should not take any punishment initial 500 miles until it is broken in, properly . When my father bought his camry it came with over 100 miles and he took it back without a problem, I think they give you a week.
Thanks for the tips on the transmission. As I get more use to it (over 800 miles now) and it seems to shift better much sooner.

I can't bring the car back. It's been over a week, it is now registered, also. I wasn't happy about the miles, but nothing I could really do. I expected it to have about 70-80 miles because of the dealer location (the dealer they got it from). When I go to pick it up it had almost double that.

The warranty is from 144 miles on. And I purchased the extended warranty, so I'm not too worried any issues with the car.

Thanks for the tips though. I might try having the fluid changed to Redline or something too.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
A short shifter doesnt actually make your car any faster, it just shortens the throws so you get from one gear to the next quicker, delaying downtime between gears.
lol.. I love this. "it doesn't make the car faster, but it lets you get into the next gear faster"..

don't you think getting into the next gear faster would make the car faster??
true, but some people think that whatever performance parts you add to your car will add raise the horsepower and torque. idiots
Old 04-06-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've experienced the same problem you have, except mine also includes first gear. I got my car xmas eve of '05. It was a 2006, with 1 mile on it. Regardless of what car i drive, i always let it warm up whether it's hot or cold out. I let it stand for about 5 mins to make sure all the juices are flowin. Even tho i take that step, i've experienced a couple of times shifting into 1st gear and the shifter gets stuck in transition. It seemed to get jammed. So i would put the car back n neutral and gave it another try into 1st, and it got jammed again. I did it about 3 times, and finally on the fourth try, it went into gear. It also happens when i shift from 1st to 2nd. I thought i was the only one who had the problem too. I figured maybe there's just a small flaw in the design.
It was a pain a couple of times when i was stopped at the light and the shifter got stuck in transition to 1st.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member

Well i should throw in my two cents. Since the day i bought the car, the trans is always a little notchy going into second and sometimes will even grind. This is not a problem with toyotas, but every manual tranny out there as far as im concerned. The fluid needs to warm up as do the synchros and all the other moving parts. The notchyness is definately more apparent in the winter time. But all in all, nothing to be concerned with
Old 04-26-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Guess what? My car has the same feeling going from 1st to 2nd & vice versa. I think it goes away after a while, but I make a conscious effort to fully engage the clutch pedal when I first start out in the morning and it seems a bit better. Hope there won't be some recall, cuz that would suck.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah,
Mine has been getting better (or I am getting more use to it). What I do is shift very carefully when I first shift, and usually I can just keep the car and 2nd gear and start from a slow roll anyway. Once things warm up (after a mile or 2) things are fine.

Paul G.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem with my car when it was brand new. After driving the vehicle for so many months the shifter seemed to break-in. But I installed a B & M short shifter and it's a lot better but not perfect.... but much better
Old 05-03-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I have about 2600 miles on the car now, and it seems better. The temperatures are getting warmer too though.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has done the first and second grind and occassionally third as long as I have owned the car. I bought it with 8 miles now I have 4100. I also have an issue with the shifter poppping out of first when the clutch pedal is depressed. It never does this when I am driving so I am assuming it is not synchros. My dealership is not officially opened yet however I was told by the other techs that my issues are fairly common with tc's and there are no fixes according to them. I will be investigating this as soon as I have access to our toyota systems and will let you guys know my findings. I was also made aware that if you use a different fluid (ie. amsoil, royal purple) toyota can deny your claim for transmission concerns. One of my fellow techs said he has seen this once at his last dealership. I think I may chance it and switch to amsoil though.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scionsc
Mine has done the first and second grind and occassionally third as long as I have owned the car. I bought it with 8 miles now I have 4100. I also have an issue with the shifter poppping out of first when the clutch pedal is depressed. It never does this when I am driving so I am assuming it is not synchros. My dealership is not officially opened yet however I was told by the other techs that my issues are fairly common with tc's and there are no fixes according to them. I will be investigating this as soon as I have access to our toyota systems and will let you guys know my findings. I was also made aware that if you use a different fluid (ie. amsoil, royal purple) toyota can deny your claim for transmission concerns. One of my fellow techs said he has seen this once at his last dealership. I think I may chance it and switch to amsoil though.
exactly the same problems i have. and my 5th gear vibrates at highway speeds when i hit the gas.
2 techs test drove the car and said they couldn't reproduce the problems and that it's fine.
we have a 5 year warranty on drivetrain right? well, thats about how long i'll have my car anyways. if my tranny starts to act up, i'm bringing it to a different dealership, because i don't like that one anyways

Quick Reply: 2006 Scion tC - 450 miles, 5-speed transmission concern