Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2011 tC 6 speed Tranny Swap Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for the actual transmission topic...

It really depends if you are swapping in the manual or the automatic transmission.

Just a yummy cheese cake dessert for thought.

And the last thought to think about...

How many people here actually have done extensive car work? I'm not talking about "oh I changed my oil the other day" or the "I installed my intake". I'm talking about, hey "I did a full motor swap in my garage" or "As a side project, I'm building a track car in my garage".

Because honestly... I see some posts that are good. I also see posts that simply show off the complete lack of knowledge by that person. I'm NOT calling anyone out. I am NOT saying that I am the god of all car knowledge. Just throwing it out there in general.

Though it would be nice for say someone like Dezod or someone with a reputation to post something up. Or hell, even someone in general to post up definitive fact to back up their statement.

There is nothing worse than a "yeah it can", "no it can't" argument with no proof or evidence to support either.

Last edited by highvoltage1; 08-05-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

i blew my motor 3 months ago bought a 2azfe realised it was from a xb so i had to spend the last 3 months custom fabricating the passenger motor mount and swapping in the motor, oh yea and this weekend i have to wire up the entire ig2 circuit because that crapped out

i do intensive work

Originally Posted by wlfpck

As for the actual transmission topic...

It really depends if you are swapping in the manual or the automatic transmission.

Just a yummy cheese cake dessert for thought.

And the last thought to think about...

How many people here actually have done extensive car work? I'm not talking about "oh I changed my oil the other day" or the "I installed my intake". I'm talking about, hey "I did a full motor swap in my garage" or "As a side project, I'm building a track car in my garage".

Because honestly... I see some posts that are good. I also see posts that simply show off the complete lack of knowledge by that person. I'm NOT calling anyone out. I am NOT saying that I am the god of all car knowledge. Just throwing it out there in general.

Though it would be nice for say someone like Dezod or someone with a reputation to post something up. Or hell, even someone in general to post up definitive fact to back up their statement.

There is nothing worse than a "yeah it can", "no it can't" argument with no proof or evidence to support either.

Last edited by highvoltage1; 08-05-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

oh yea and i do all this in a 2 car garage with only one side available because my supra is on the other side being built
Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again... I am NOT calling anyone out. Just throwing out some food for thought to the general population.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spr4yedTc
i blew my motor 3 months ago bought a 2azfe realised it was from a xb so i had to spend the last 3 months custom fabricating the passenger motor mount and swapping in the motor, oh yea and this weekend i have to wire up the entire ig2 circuit because that crapped out

i do intensive work
Umm Im pretty sure the pass side motor mount is the same on the gen 2 xb 2az-fe as the tc. Even if its not, you could just spend 30 min swapping the timing chain cover off your old motor. Dont know why you'd spend 3 months fabricating a mount :/
Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spr4yedTc
your talkin outta your hiney...

and he is tuned for his 300whp using a piggyback ecu all that does is add or subtract fuel..

kid move along
Tuning involves adding/subtracting fuel and adjusting timing, im sure his piggyback does both, at least it should, this is in essence, tuning.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Tuning involves adding/subtracting fuel and adjusting timing, im sure his piggyback does both, at least it should, this is in essence, tuning.
believe me i know.. i have tuned 3 tcs using the fic and a safc

and ranger is on a fic i believe..

and the fic works with o2 skewing to adjust your fuel trims and the fuel map,
also maf clamps are used for ease of tuning especially under boost and wot settings that way u can just adjust the fuel map when the maf is clamped to its set values.. and then u adjust the timing map usually on a tc u wanan retard timing around the 3900 roms range becaus ethats when the ecu decides to add timing,

i know my stuff i just felt i didnt need to go into detail..
Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned
SL Member

Umm Im pretty sure the pass side motor mount is the same on the gen 2 xb 2az-fe as the tc. Even if its not, you could just spend 30 min swapping the timing chain cover off your old motor. Dont know why you'd spend 3 months fabricating a mount :/
no its not the same mount the xb uses a top mount setup... we dont

and i spent 3 months really setting up the whole car i tore motor down and put it together... and u wonder why i didnt swap the timing cover? because i had only realised it was different when the motor was in and all other mounts were hooked up... i wasnt in the mood to pull out the motor againt to do the timing chain... so i just made that a reason to make a solid mount to go along with my others... is there more questions u might have? like what exactly my tc has? cuz ill tell you what it does and doesnt have

and i didnt have my old motor anymore ....i sold it to ptuning its currently in their car..
Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hurt egos are bad
Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what does your tc have?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

So what does your tc have?
09 pistons, and rods, port and polished head, crower 272 turbo intake cam and a reground 280 exhaust cam( i went with more duration on the exhaust because of nitrous) ac delete, halfcore radiator, gutted interior aem fic, nos sniper kit and many more to keep going
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So it must be pretty fast, so youre using stock pistons/rods with this setup?? Why not take care of the weak link in our motor while you had it torn apart? Seems liek you have a head that should flow very well. Any dyno numbers or track times?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Banned
SL Member

So it must be pretty fast, so youre using stock pistons/rods with this setup?? Why not take care of the weak link in our motor while you had it torn apart? Seems liek you have a head that should flow very well. Any dyno numbers or track times?
the motor wasnt put together for power it was put together to be a daily driver and the spray was lying around to house so its for fun..

power id say will be around 170-180 off the bottle.. nothing sepcial..

i really wanna get it running this weekend i just gotta rewire the ig2 fuse circuit because it keeps blowing a fuse thus not letting car start

after being boosted and blowing the motor i learned just to leave the car as a dd because im in NEED of a dd not a fast car.. i have my supra for that
Old 08-06-2010, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To clear up all issues regarding my car, I am running a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate tuned via myself and Mike from M-Tuning. Been tuning with him and swapping motors, transmissions, doin' clutches, etc since before it was "M-Tuning".

I not only run the E-Manage Ultimate (with Air Temp, and Knock Sensor live datalogging) but I also tied in a Split Second Fuel Enrichment Module to enrichen the fuel mixture under partial throttle closed loop boost. Since my turbo spools very fast being a .48 hotside and ball bearing/watercooled, I need this to keep from getting 7 psi and 14.7 AFR in 35% throttle :/

Long story short, if you are going from an auto trans to a manual of any kind in a TC (5 or 6 spd), swapping the ECU to a manual trans ECU is the only way to go without getting any hiccups. The tune is different between the two and they are cheap and easy enough to get ahold of and swap in that it should be a priority in the process. Manual to manual of a different ratio is just like putting 4:10's in a Mustang that comes with 3.73's or something. Different speeds at different RPM's than stock yet a computer has never had an issue dealing with that and those are stupid Ford ECU's!

I'm done with my rant and I'm willing to answer any other questions if there is a hint of intellect behind them
Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only reason I'm interested in this is bc I log a TON of hwy miles.

I can get 33.5 mpg now on crap gas with the A/C on full blast. And that's at 3K @ 65mph (5 speed). I could squeeze 500 miles out of a tank with a tall overdrive gear.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PRODIGY3000
The only reason I'm interested in this is bc I log a TON of hwy miles.

I can get 33.5 mpg now on crap gas with the A/C on full blast. And that's at 3K @ 65mph (5 speed). I could squeeze 500 miles out of a tank with a tall overdrive gear.
I would do the swap for this reason alone. If it offered any performance gains then that's great too but I just hate sitting at 4k on I-95. In Florida the roads are flat and straight and the highway speed limits are 75. If I were in my hometown in MD, then it wouldn't matter that much because there are no speed limits above 55. Then again if I were there, I wouldn't be turbo because of all the emissions and inspection BS. Hence why I live in FL
Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 AM
SL Member

I want it for higher speeds and a more relaxed engine rpm around 80. I occasionally drive from Ky to Nc and that would make for a much better hwy experience.

I forget what 80 is stock- I think about 3700rpms- but I'd be happy with it around 2600-3200.

Last edited by OPPOSITE-LOCK; 08-06-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Banned
SL Member

We will have to wait a while for people to wreck their new tc's so we can pull those motors and do a swap
Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got a strong feeling it's do-able but that's just a hunch. Hell the guy on here put a 3.3L in his and kept the stock trans with almost no issues. Just fabbed up some mounts from what he said. Looked OEM too

Quick Reply: 2011 tC 6 speed Tranny Swap Discussion