Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2AZ-FE >> 2AZ-GHE Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude who the ef are you? who are you directing your comments to? you need to chill out before someone puts you in check.. i hope that comment about taking apart the 2az wasnt directed towards me lol. i personally hand built my motor.. i know the weak points.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do not forget that our rods are either partially forged or completely forged. I can not quite remember. So they are not quite on the same playing field as other stock rods.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you don't remember, you could just refer to my post earlier, where i state that both the rods and crank are forged steel.

lol, i love how Redwar says on page 1 "...have you ever taken apart a 2az? seriously, the rods suck...".

Next post engi says, " I have heard people say "the rods suck", but I have seen as many or more cars running 300 hp with no issues in that area. And from the photos I have seen they are about as beefy as any other econobox out there..."

Then next post Redwar tries to correct himself thinking that no one notices himself talking out both sides of his mouth, "yeah youre right. The rods are the weak point in this motor but it should still be noted that the weak point doesnt show up until well past double stock output.
" lol... pretty quick turnaround for a supposed Ace Toyota Race engine builder! :D

TCPETE- Nice curve and setup man. though i must admit, i would have expected a little higher numbers with all that work. Did you do all that headwork/internal work at the same time, or in stages? So you could actually tell if each individual mod gained or lost power.

The fact that you still aren't at 200 with all that work kindof makes me want to reconsider doing anything to the car at all. i know FlyingCesar on CSTC hit 193 NA, hmmm... Seems like with EMS tuning you should hit closer to 200. hell, people are getting 10-15 whp gains off just i/h/e.

did u adjust vvti? u would probably also be well served by a nicer IM, or heck, even ITBs

how does the car pull?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

tcpete's car pulls... hard.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good to know.

still trying to determine whether i want to swap to a cable throttle body as well..... i don't know how much longer i can deal with this damn dbw ect
Old 06-09-2007, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You have a LOT of work to do to swap to a throttle cable. It will take reprogramming the ECU to make it work correctly.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

watching!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so more and more its looking like a standalone is in order....which is definitely not in the budget either.

would i really need to reprogram the ecu tho, because the ecu pulls readings from the MAF. couldn't throttle % still be relayed from the tb to the ecu? idk... all i know is that lots of is300 tuners swap for a cable tb.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
TCPETE- Nice curve and setup man. though i must admit, i would have expected a little higher numbers with all that work. Did you do all that headwork/internal work at the same time, or in stages? So you could actually tell if each individual mod gained or lost power.

The fact that you still aren't at 200 with all that work kindof makes me want to reconsider doing anything to the car at all. i know FlyingCesar on CSTC hit 193 NA, hmmm... Seems like with EMS tuning you should hit closer to 200. hell, people are getting 10-15 whp gains off just i/h/e.

did u adjust vvti? u would probably also be well served by a nicer IM, or heck, even ITBs

how does the car pull?

first off and i cant stress this enough how many times i have said this.. I AM UNTUNED... I said it before and im saying it again now.. so for the mods that have been done to the motor + the intake, axleback, and header those UNTUNED numbers are actually pretty good if not dead on what they should be with the motor just breaking in.. I STILL NEED TO: redo the stock midpiping section which should give me a few extra HP putting me in the 19X's..i also need to redo the grounding wires, and other small things i need to double check.. plus those numbers were about 3 weeks after the motor was put in and the car was running worse then then what it is now.. so im guessing i should be in the 19X ish range..

so my numbers are actually pretty freaking good for the mods pending left to be done and tuning..

and yes my car pull very hard.. ( thanks jason ) lol.... if i am beating g35's or keeping up with g35s on the highway i must be making good power... ( witnesses if you need them of me doing that)

there is no EMS in the car and im running very rich...but the car is running pretty good.. SO with the upgraded midpipe and some tuning i should easily reach over 200 whp.

i know what people are doing out there also man. im not out of any loop.. but i highly doubt 193 whp with just tuning on the car and no motor work is kinda BS..i could be wrong but i highly doubt it.. on average the most ppl are getting from I/H/E complete are in the 170-175 range.. so 20 whp on the 9.5.1 compression ratio we have and the poor head flow 193 is kinda hard to beleive.. 180 is more beleivable..

and yea i built this engine from the ground up the headwork was done by my friend with me next to him giving him my specs to pot on the machine, i built the block, and put everything together myself.. taking out the motor etc .. everything.. so im very familiar with the motor and what it can do.

this is the 2nd head i built and each one ive touched has gotten better and better.. my first p&p head i built made 163 whp with just an intake.. to give you an idea.

give me another few weeks after i finish my paying my wedding, new house remodeling, and some credit cards and you'll see a nice 200 whp dyno and vid of my car.. in fact im making a video of everything and ill be putting it up soon for the non beleivers..
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

flyingcesar hit 193 with hc pistons and other internal work.

as i said before, impressive setup and numbers.

so how much $$$$ would u estimate you've put into the motor thus far?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok well what other supporting mods does he have that he hit 193 if thats with tuning and i hit 189 with out a tune then im probably going to be the same if not more when i do tune the car...

BTW i didnt spend much most of the parts were given to me from various shop owner friends ive made through the years
free stuff:
-valves, valve springs, retainers (titanium) (rocket motorsports) $700 - got them for free since i know the owner
-p&p head work with 3 angle valve job = $400 / free
-ACL bearings = $150 got them from my friend at maz works free
-balance and blueprint motor = free

stuff i paid for:
-weisco HC treated pistons = $500
-eagle rods = $420
-new seals all over = $180
-misc OEM parts = $130

so in total i spent $1230 but i could have spent well over 2k...(thanks to industry friends)

still stuff i need to buy:
-EMS $600
-mid pipe upgrade = $ 160
-misc = $50
Old 06-14-2007, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member

TCPete, have you timed your car?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have cp all motor pistons from zpi for 400 plus shipping with the rings never been used
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why so much money for not so much power?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 318_tC
Why ask this a million times??? Its still fun to do and people tend to like other kind of projects. Its not always MORE power.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh dont get me wrong im sure its fun and to each there own cause im just a boost fan instead of n/a lol
Old 06-14-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm sorry to be rude, but I'm just sick of hearing those comments. We know its more expensive. But its worthy.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

little power?? i would stand to correct you on that .... 200 whp on a gutted tc can be an extreamly competetive car.. factor in a more reliable approach to a motor (not being on boost) and thw wow and oh snap factor of being a true NA moster gives people sometimes a little more respect.. anyone can be fast on boost or spray... but going the impossible NA route and beating boosted cars or cars way out of your HP class theres no feeling to compare it to..

again boost is nto for everyone and NA is not for everyone.. ppl have their choices and thats cool ...yes boost in the end will have more power.. but its alot more maintenace and you have the chance that something will go wrong alot faster or easier on boost then all motor..

i did it to prove ppl wrong about the 2az and to rpove it was possible.. i also did it because i like all motor and the wow oh snap factor of keeping up or beating people way out of my class. theres no greater feeling beating or keeping up with a VQ35 in a g35 coupe or s2000 and having them be impressed .... thats a hole other level of respect then just going on boost.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TCpete
little power?? i would stand to correct you on that .... 200 whp on a gutted tc can be an extreamly competetive car.. factor in a more reliable approach to a motor (not being on boost) and thw wow and oh snap factor of being a true NA moster gives people sometimes a little more respect.. anyone can be fast on boost or spray... but going the impossible NA route and beating boosted cars or cars way out of your HP class theres no feeling to compare it to..

again boost is nto for everyone and NA is not for everyone.. ppl have their choices and thats cool ...yes boost in the end will have more power.. but its alot more maintenace and you have the chance that something will go wrong alot faster or easier on boost then all motor..

i did it to prove ppl wrong about the 2az and to rpove it was possible.. i also did it because i like all motor and the wow oh snap factor of keeping up or beating people way out of my class. theres no greater feeling beating or keeping up with a VQ35 in a g35 coupe or s2000 and having them be impressed .... thats a hole other level of respect then just going on boost.
Well Said!
Old 06-15-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Haha I love this post

For the OG poster, does not matter what you do to the head, she will still be an f-series, valves, cames, blah... does not matter. We can only dream of toyota casting a g-series head for the 2az. Mabey make a dual vvt-i version like the beams 3sge.

Also if you want to make decent power you would be much smarter trying to make a 2az-fte or a 2az-fze.

Also eng, while I am making 300+whp, the rods do suck even though they are holding. I have had my car apart and I have rods and pistons out of my 07 block I am building on the bench. The 2az has such long stroke the rods are retareded long. Probably the most skinny rods I have had on the bench, my 1.6L high comp 4ag rods look like carillo rods compared to these haha.

Quick Reply: 2AZ-FE >> 2AZ-GHE Build