Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2AZ-FE >> 2AZ-GHE Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^(lol)^^^^ WOW!!! YOU'RE SO SMART! THANKS FOR THAT INFO THAT I DID NOT KNOW! :D

I (edit) can and will call my motor a hippopotamus if i want to.

and you say "F series head" like theres a line of heads sitting on the shelf in toyota HQ. an "F" head is simply one that is designed with an emphasis on fuel economy as opposed to performance. The heads from different "F" motors may or may not have varying degrees of similarity, depending on the application.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well I am glad you found a technical name for your flying hippo, hope it all works out for you

I call toyota heads "f series" not because I think they have a lineup of heads on a shelf all the same *LOL* I call them that because that designates what they were designed for. Specifically all F series heads as stated have a narrow valve angle design fuel economy heads, there is not 1 that is a wide angle so they can all be categoriezed "just like toyota does" as an f-series head and you know generally what type of motor / head combo your dealing with. Same goes for a wide angle g-series. They have tvis, standard, vvt, vvti, vvti-l versions of the g-series. All of which are a wide valve angle and that generally lets you know you are dealing with a performance version of that motor variety.

So yeah, definitly call it a hippo ya smar@ss as that is about = to calling it a g-series which it never can or will be. Lay off the crack pipe.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any updates tc pete?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

you know ... after tossing it around in my mind.. I am thinking of going the all motor route.. tcpete is right.. there is a WOW and SNAP factor to an all motor a$$ kicker.. just my $.02
Old 10-29-2007, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Shift_N_Red
you know ... after tossing it around in my mind.. I am thinking of going the all motor route.. tcpete is right.. there is a WOW and SNAP factor to an all motor a$$ kicker.. just my $.02
i agree. it's why i like ferraris over porsches but I didn't see it being feasible with this motor. it seems the head is just too restrictive. if i were ever to do an all-motor setup with this engine i would seriously consider having a new head cast. every successful all-motor setup relies on a high redline and seeing how people have only gotten this engine to 7300 i don't see the potential.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you look at his power band though you can see that this engine dosnt absolutly have to rev to make USABLE power it would be nice,but for a street car and a daily driver,i think its a good setup.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by darkscion
if you look at his power band though you can see that this engine dosnt absolutly have to rev to make USABLE power it would be nice,but for a street car and a daily driver,i think its a good setup.
i wouldn't modify a car just for street power (personally), i'd want the high end for when i want some fun. so for me, the redline needs to be able to be adjusted.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well are looking to build a street car or a race car?seems like you are leaning more towards race car to me,and in that case,no this engine isnt the best.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well i say i want high end because i have a lot of highway driving and w/ this car 80 mph is 4k rpms in 5th. So I want maybe a little more power up until 4k but I'd prefer it all after that.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to chime in and agree here... for those of us who spend a great deal of time on the highway, a higher redline is really high on the wishlist whether NA or FI. hell, when I do eventually go for boost, I am going to choose a turbo that hits peak efficiency fairly high up in the rpm range - a setup similar to road course and time attack cars that dont spend much time down low. the tc has more than enough torque down low as it is.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Shaka_Z
I have to chime in and agree here... for those of us who spend a great deal of time on the highway, a higher redline is really high on the wishlist whether NA or FI. hell, when I do eventually go for boost, I am going to choose a turbo that hits peak efficiency fairly high up in the rpm range - a setup similar to road course and time attack cars that dont spend much time down low. the tc has more than enough torque down low as it is.
werd. last thing i want is my new injectors kickin into high gear when im only going 80 lol.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

injectors have gears?wow didnt know that.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

essentially they do, the have a n ability to not be at full flow(correct?)
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they actually have a duty cycle,thats what determines the amount of fuel that goes in.i was just being a smart ___.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

injectors have gears?wow didnt know that.
damn it, i shouldn't have said that. all my r&d is wasted now that the secret's out.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

they actually have a duty cycle,thats what determines the amount of fuel that goes in.i was just being a smart butt.
that was the phrase i was looking for
Old 10-30-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Questions..........

07-08 blocks have bigger-n-better rods then 05-06?

tcpete - are u using an 05-06 engine or 07-08 engine? Do you think you would have made more power with an 07-08 engine?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

for the higher redline, that is doable if you want to spend the money (as is anything). Lighter rotating components will help a tad, but destroking the engine will be the key. Of course, you are looking at some custom internal work that will cost you a chunk of change... unless someone makes a stroker kit for it But with that, assuming you have the right valve springs and the oiling system can keep up, you could significanly raise redline. Of course, you will probably sacrifice a chunk of low end torque to do so.

It is all a tradeoff, and it is all expensive
Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Personally, if I were going all motor, I wouldnt dump that much into it unless someone started making the parts. I would re-sleeve, try to punch it out a bit (i hear that up to 2.6 is potentially doable with new sleeves), raise the compression and get all of the head work possible done on it. That along with getting the tune and air/fuel setup correct is probably your best bet for NA power without spending super huge amounts. Of course, just that setup isnt cheap
Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Personally, if I were going all motor, I wouldnt dump that much into it unless someone started making the parts. I would re-sleeve, try to punch it out a bit (i hear that up to 2.6 is potentially doable with new sleeves), raise the compression and get all of the head work possible done on it. That along with getting the tune and air/fuel setup correct is probably your best bet for NA power without spending super huge amounts. Of course, just that setup isnt cheap

thats about the same setup i would do also,if i were to go all motor.allthough tcpete's setup is really tempting,especialy for the amount of money he spent.i swear i change my mind almost every day.turbo,allmotor,turbo,allmotor........thing is ive had a turbo car before,and i know a allmotor car cant touch it.

Quick Reply: 2AZ-FE >> 2AZ-GHE Build