Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

4-2-1 header or 4-1 header??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no if you look close the dc comes in to 2 pipes right before going in to 1 i saw some pics and an explination on another tc forum its realy cheap how they did it but it technicly is a 4-2-1
Old 07-28-2005, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im pretty sure the DC headers are 4-2-1. last time i checked the bottom part of the headers it has 2 pipes in the end..

oops! aarontrini85 explains this already....

i got DC's but i would go 4-1 if i mostly raced from 0-90mph... 4-1 headers gives you top end power, which is important for drag races (specially when your at final gear or close to finish)... 4-2-1 is low and mid range power, and are great for daily driving...

youll noticed improvements from all aftermarket headers... but i think AW and DC performs the same (gives 6+hp) and they are the best one available for the tC...
Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you grab an aftermarket header, i suggest you use a thermo wrap from THERMO-TEC...

this thing really does help the heat flow of the header. its not gonna decrease the temp. of your engine bay, just slightly possibly but i do feel like my car pulls much better...
Old 07-28-2005, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
if you grab an aftermarket header, i suggest you use a thermo wrap from THERMO-TEC...

this thing really does help the heat flow of the header. its not gonna decrease the temp. of your engine bay, just slightly possibly but i do feel like my car pulls much better...
There has been alot of speculation regarding wrapping up your header with any thermal material. Using the scavenging effect is a nice idea, unfortunately it has also been proven that temps get so high, that wrapping a header causes cracking of such part. The problem is basically a form of very advanced heatsoak. The header is unable to dissipate so much heat, beacuse of the wrap, eventually causing failure due to thermal wear and cycling.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now your scaring me! i wanna take that wrap out!!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now your scaring me! i wanna take that wrap out!!!!
Wraps have a tendency to hold moisture and heat! Both bad for the header, remember that a header is already under stress and softer than normal under standard operating conditions. Because vibration torsion and heat, apply a substance that retains heat ,water and more heat, lack of dissipation beacuse of the wrap and evetually the header will fail due to metal fatigue. So yes remove it if where you. A ceramic coating would be your best bet.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used the wrap on my dc headers, but the wrap is 1 inch wide so i didnt have enough to cover the entire header.. theres about a 3 inch gap in the middle of my header where the O2 sim is located..

how about i remove the bottom half of the wrapped header and keep the top?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used the wrap on my dc headers, but the wrap is 1 inch wide so i didnt have enough to cover the entire header.. theres about a 3 inch gap in the middle of my header where the O2 sim is located..

how about i remove the bottom half of the wrapped header and keep the top?
The DC headers have a ceramic coating for a reason, applying the wrap wont make a big difference and it will cause premature failure of the header. If you dont care about the outcome fine.