Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

4th gear lockout???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 4th gear lockout???

Ok sometimes when i am cruising about 60 on the highway I'll run into a redlight and as I'm slowing try to downshift into 4th and it will lock me out. It will go if I force it but I usually just out it into third and it goes in easy. It doesn't happen all the time but if it happens once it will happen about 6 times in a row afterwards. My question is is this a common problem? I'm about to get a Doc. Iso. STS so I am hoping that will fix it. Just wondering what you guys think
Thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is absolutely no reason for your car to lock out 4th gear. sometimes i can't get into 4th gear when i'm just fidgeting at a light shifting through the gears, but never when i'm actually driving. i'd take it to get looked at, especially before you put in an aftermarket shifter or they'll just say that shifter did something wrong.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
there is absolutely no reason for your car to lock out 4th gear. sometimes i can't get into 4th gear when i'm just fidgeting at a light shifting through the gears, but never when i'm actually driving. i'd take it to get looked at, especially before you put in an aftermarket shifter or they'll just say that shifter did something wrong.
Yup, x2.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I figured I needed to take it to a dealership, I thought it was a little funky cause it only locks me out when I try to downshift.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i took it buy the dealership today and apparently no problem here is what they said.

"Shop Foreman test drove vehicle with technician and found that the movement in the shifter when in fifth gear (something I was wondering about) is a characteristic of the vehicle, Also found that binding when downshifting was only able to be duplicated when the shifter was not allowed to self-center before 4th gear down from 5th. THe binding is the shifter catching between 4th and reverse before this self centering occurs. Duplicated same characteristic on a New 2008 model when tested in the same way. Vehicle is functioning properly at time of testing."

So I guess I just need to give it more time to self center when downshifting I normally let it rest a bit in neutral before shifting to allow this, but i guess 5th-4th needs more time because of reverse. Thanks for the help though guys.