Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

alcohol or E85

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member

Default alcohol or E85

I've read that some modern cars (post 1982) can run off of alchol with no modifications. I have a friend with a 2001 chevy silvarado that put E85 in his truck and ran fine. This is no special model either just your plain jane V8. With gas prices back on the rise I'm wondering if anyone with a tc has tried this.

Does our computer automatically adjust to the needed ratio? I know you need to run WAY rich compared to gas. only 8 parts air to every part alcohol rather than the 13:1 with gas.

I was about to convert my 70 Galaxie over before i got the scion. I knew i would have to rejet the carb and it would be a _____ on cold mornings that and the whole deal of making a stil but hell at 10mpg i was going broke on a 45 min commute.

ANYWAY I'd hate to be the first to try but if no one else will and gas hits $3 AND i'm still under warrenty I'll do it.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

in the manual it says regular unleaded fuel ONLY...

i rather not risk it...

and here in socal, i havent seen a pump with e85 yet but i do see it on TV
Old 03-26-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i kono the answer is in the owner maual but im to lazy to look anyway what grade of fuel is recomended for the tc
Old 03-26-2006, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member

Default well yeah

I'm generally not one to run with conspiracy therories but the oil conglomerates are my pet one. I have teachers that testify to vista cruisers that got 60 mpg back in the 70s that the dealers took back. I believe our cars are set up to run on alcohol when oil runs out. E85 is only a way to make our dependency last longer.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php
Old 03-27-2006, 09:09 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

so that's a pretty much confirmed no.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member

Default well

Guess i have to admit defeat. Sucks though. hell thats what i have my camaro for anyway. If Nitrous won't blow it up I'll just rejet it and run alky. Thanks for everyones time.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

That woulda been a cool experiment though.....d#mned gas prices
Old 03-28-2006, 10:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its rated at 105 octane, if you were to be able to use this in a turbocharged car it seems like you would be able to run a higher amount of boost with out haveing to worry about detination right?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member

Default yeah

Yeah it would seem so. Shame it won't work. Wonder how many engine parts would need to be swapped to make it run.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: yeah

Originally Posted by 75Camaro
Yeah it would seem so. Shame it won't work. Wonder how many engine parts would need to be swapped to make it run.

im sure more so then any thing else its something with the ecu and the injector plus that would need to change posibly the gap on the plugs to but other then that i dont see why any thing else would need to change if it is combustible it should be able to work in a engine as long as the a/f ratio is good and the plugs can spark enough to light it up
Old 03-28-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

From what I have gathered so far it can be damaging to some parts in the engine to to incompatibility with some materials (some metals and gaskets). A lower mix of ethanol (E10) is considered ok, but the higher you go the more you risk. Also, contamination of the ethanol based fuels by water can make it much more corrosive by forming acidic compounds during parts of the warm up process. So in areas where the temp gets pretty low (aka.. here in mn) the risk of condensation in the fuel at the pump as well as in the tank of the vehicle can become more of an issue, especially if the tank is allowed to become very low. Enough water can cause the separation of alcohol and gasoline. The percentage is relatively high.. I think around 1% or so, but the risk is there.

But in short.. dont use it unless the vehicle calls for it.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ethanol does not have the UMPH! of gasoline... but as a post above stated.. it does have a high octane level...

volvo has an ethanol model of one of there cars... it is turbo charged.. more horse power and better milage than the N/A model.. but you defenently don;t want to run ethanol in a car not made for it though, forced induction or not.....

i too believe as the poster above "therielized" .. the oil industry can not afford to have the american public believe that ethanol is just as good... so you get alot if FUD from them... AND.. this bull____ of a president we have and his family oil holding, he will not do anything to jeapordize that...... sorry did not mean to get to far off the subject..
Old 03-28-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I too believe that ethanol just prolongs our dependency on petroleum.. it is a nice step in the meantime, but I still put my money on the fuel cell. The technology is proven .. the size and cost needs to be reduced to make it more feasible, and reformer based systems can be used while the hydrogen only based infrastructure is put into place. Hybrids are proving more and more to be a mirage of savings.. they dont "save" the consumer anything. The alternate fuel vehicles (FFVs) are a much better step while the petroleum free systems are being developed. The oil companies can try, but too many companies are pushing the development of fuel cell vehicles for them to bury that one. If they are smart they will get behind the development or lose out in the long run. But.. I too am going off on a tagent now