Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

For all of you who think backpressure is important!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks Miller, and just about everyone else,

um Tamago

The Don I agree Oldman
Old 02-17-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tamago
Originally Posted by jmiller20874
Thanks for answering, so based on circumstance you're both technically right. oldman's is right but his calculation is based on a closed cylinder. So based on your answer if you had a hydraulic cyclinder roughly the size of the muffler in his calculation then technically it's feasible to exert 8tons of force. So in this case oldman is stating that it's impossible to build 18psi in an exhaust which is also technically right. Since the exhaust is open, the pressure cannot build that high, so therefore 18psi of backpressure is not happening.
no. you cannot exert 8 tons of force with a muffler. there is not 8 tons of force pushing out on a mufller wall.. there would be 18PSI

now, to totally throw this ENTIRE ARGUMENT OUT, there wouldn't be 18psi AT THE MUFFLER ever anyway.

the only place that would feel the 18PSI woudl be at the exhaust manifold...
So basically you agree with everything I just said.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldman
um Tamgo
poor old man.. you know i'm right.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It wasn't explicitly stated that 18psi was measured at the muffler ... I'd imagine that could have been measured anywhere downstream of the collector. 18psi overpressure x 3.14 x (2.5/2) ^2 = 88.3 lbf.

And a lot of the discussion here seems to center around principles that apply for (purely theoretical) incompressible fluids at rest in thermal equillibrium ... sure, it's easy to predict the behavior of an ideal situation at rest with Discovery Kids-level science, but hot, compressible exhaust gases in motion are another matter entirely. Maybe I should just STFU and leave it to "real" engineers. ;-)
Old 02-17-2005, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Tamago, you should have paid more attention in school! It is not 18PSI X Volume = force it is SURFACE AREA X PRESSURE. Would you believe that 9PSI would crack the wing of a 747? You bet! surface area X pressure. But basicly the moral of the story is that while some people think HP gains are cumulative of brochure numbers added at will, reality dictates that there was not a lot of "free" HP left on the table when Toyota designed the powertrain of our cars and you would be hard pressed to make any significant gains cheaply.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Banned
SL Member

[quote="jmiller20874"][quote="Tamago"]
Since the exhaust is open, the pressure cannot build that high, so therefore 18psi of backpressure is not happening.
read what you wrote backpressure.

it is possible to have 18psi of backpressure..

let's say my 2.4L compressor makes 430 CFM..

and i allow 120CFM to escape through my 25FT exhaust with a 1" diameter.... (which, btw would create a 1/4PSI pressure drop

what would be the pressure at the HEAD of the exhaust line..

ZERO?

no.. the compressor is filling the "tank" faster than i can get rid of it.. i will not push 430 cfm through the 1" tube without a rise in pressure, because line velocity and friction will dictate so.

ok, here's an easy one for you..

go to your water hose.. turn it on, and watch the flow come out of the hose.. it goes maybe 3 ft right? what is the pressure inside the water hose AT THE FAUCET?

now.. put your thumb over the end of the hose, and allow only a small portion of water to come out..

it goes a LONG way!!!

what is the pressure inside the hose AT THE FAUCET NOW?

higher, right? this is how you can create backpressure in an exhaust system. (and i'll bet that Magnaflow used some V8 from the 80's with two dinky 1/1-2" exhaust pipes and huge restrictive mufflers to get their 18 PSI, which IS a pretty high number)

although the theory is about water, it does apply to air as well, minus factoring in the compressibility of air....
Old 02-17-2005, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scott: true dat, amen brother.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, you know where you can put that hose. I was making an arguement in your favor in case you didn't realize it. I know pressure is highest at the faucet, my god man what the hell do you take me for? Of course I know 18psi is possible at the manifold.....ah fu@# it, I give up.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
Tamago, you should have paid more attention in school! It is not 18PSI X Volume = force it is SURFACE AREA X PRESSURE..
Scott, you really should have paid attention when reading my responses. i never once said that FORCE = pressure X VOLUME. in fact, i said the exact opposite. i was trying to figure out how oldman thinks there are tons of pressure pushing out on the walls of a muffler.

force = surface area X pressure.. let's play with that..

if i take a ball with an inside surface area of 100 sq inches, and pressurize it to 10 psi, am i creating 1000 POUNDS of force? no! i am not!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Banned
SL Member

Of course I know 18psi is possible at the manifold.....ah fu@# it, I give up.
you just got done saying that 18PSI backpressure is not possible.. now you agree with me?

cool
Old 02-17-2005, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of course I know 18psi is possible at the manifold.....ah fu@# it, I give up.
you just got done saying that 18PSI backpressure is not possible.. now you agree with me?

cool
I meant at the muffler, damn, blow it out your exhaust :D.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Banned
SL Member

the muffler is too close to the atmosphere to ever see 18PSI .. but we all know that, and we should realize that's not what magnaflow was trying to say.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Tamago, you should have paid more attention in school! It is not 18PSI X Volume = force it is SURFACE AREA X PRESSURE..
Scott, you really should have paid attention when reading my responses. i never once said that FORCE = pressure X VOLUME. in fact, i said the exact opposite. i was trying to figure out how oldman thinks there are tons of pressure pushing out on the walls of a muffler.

if i take a ball with an inside surface area of 100 sq inches, and pressurize it to 10 psi, am i creating 1000 POUNDS of force? no! i am not!
Actually, yes you are... it is distributed over the surface. the overall force does equal that... but since we have a little thing called equilibrium, nothing bad happens. Simple physics.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the muffler is too close to the atmosphere to ever see 18PSI .. but we all know that, and we should realize that's not what magnaflow was trying to say.
thats wat jmiller said,
Old 02-17-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

YOU should have paid more attention to the last sentance of my post! Now go sit in the corner till I say you can come out! Go buy yourself a bushel of magnaflow mufflers and give them out as Christmas presents for all I care, but you still won't have a race car . PS- save the money from one of those muffler purchases and buy a good physics book!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gentlemen, you all, please calm down. The situation is getting out of control and the thread is getting away from its initial purpose.

The goal here, IMO is to put pieces of information together so that way everybody can find a benefit from colective knowledge.

Then, once people is educated, it is possible to perform a critic reasoning in order to tell what is the truth, what are convenient half truths and what are lies.

When I write for this thread my intention is not to tell the people not to buy a certain brand. What I try to do is to give others arguments that can help them to make an informed decision.

Please, for everybody that is going to keep posting to this thread, bring information that sheds light over the main issue of the thread. If anybody has actual data, INDEPENDENT NUMBERS OR GRAPHICS, please share it with us.

If somebody has a relative or friend that is actually working in an engineering position for any car manufacturer, please invite him/her to share what they know with us and know the truth "from the horse's mouth"

Thanks for reading
Old 02-18-2005, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by acasanova
Originally Posted by niguels
Originally Posted by acasanova
Originally Posted by oldman
that link is filled with so much miss information. 18 PSI of back pressue would blow your muffler off. Too funny and you need some backpressure in any non-WOT type of driving where all street cars spend 99.9999% of the time. You get a 5-10 HP at max from a Scion due to a better exhaust with current cams NA, and more of course forced induced. Don't believe me just unbolt your exhaust after the factory header and let me know how "drivable" your ride is with .5 PSI less backpressure....
18psi will not blow your muffler off. Also that review was written by experts who know quite a bit more than you.
For sure magnaflow is interested in telling everybody that backpressure is BS since they want to sell as many low restriction exhaust systems as possible. Right?

Now, since you call them EXPERTS, it would be nice to put them (Magnaflow) in contact with TOYOTA so that way they can tell the SCION Engineers in Japan how wrong they were regarding exhaust systems and how little they know about cars design. Probably Toyota will recognize the big mistake they did.

Our exhaust systems are built to be quiet and perform adequately. They are not designed to be highflowing, this would result in the obvious tradeoff noise. Why do you think aftermarket exhaust systems perform better than the OE units. The engineers at Toyota know this their priority is a balanced system. Before you post make sense and have some sort of valid argument
Did you read my post titled "BACKPRESSURE-Final Words"

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47877

Read it and tell me now who do you think knows more about cars design, the TOYOTA ENGINEERS or the HALF TRUTH TELLERS AT MAGNAFLOW.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mygod people, did this turn into math class?

i almost forgot what the topic of this thread was.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And the point of digging up this thread was???
Old 07-13-2006, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And the point of digging up this thread was???
so that I could bump it a year and a half later.

Quick Reply: For all of you who think backpressure is important!