Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ALPHAWERKS HEADER

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
Whats bugging me is this thing is just stainless steel pipes and a piece of ceramic. Megan should have left the precat idea alone unless they had a QUALITY supplier.

Now the ceramic precat crumbles and that sucks because of the unknown harm it may have caused to the O2 sensor and the PITA taaking it off to empty it.. But, with that precat gone the header is now no different than a DC header or even Alphaworks. I believe all 3 are 4-1, I could be wrong on that. The antifouler should still work...unless it is clogged with ceramic or a bad O2 sensor.

I'll say this, The Alphaworks permanent fix is cheaper than a new O2 sensor.

You know, there is 2 different sizes of antifoulers....I think I used the 18's. I
I'm going to call Nexus tomorrow and order that thing. I'll keep everyone updated and let everyone know whether or not this will work with the Megan headers. If it does, then I'm sure it will work with the DCs as well. Stay tuned.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Giravani
Whats bugging me is this thing is just stainless steel pipes and a piece of ceramic. Megan should have left the precat idea alone unless they had a QUALITY supplier.

Now the ceramic precat crumbles and that sucks because of the unknown harm it may have caused to the O2 sensor and the PITA taaking it off to empty it.. But, with that precat gone the header is now no different than a DC header or even Alphaworks. I believe all 3 are 4-1, I could be wrong on that. The antifouler should still work...unless it is clogged with ceramic or a bad O2 sensor.

You know, there is 2 different sizes of antifoulers....I think I used the 18's. I
I'm going to call Nexus tomorrow and order that thing. I'll keep everyone updated and let everyone know whether or not this will work with the Megan headers. If it does, then I'm sure it will work with the DCs as well. Stay tuned.
Sweet. They may get alot of business from this. A little classier than the antifouler.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nexus will not sell the o2 sim separate from the header...when I first called them up they had to verify that I actually bought the alphawerks header from a retailer...I'm pretty sure their o2 sim will work with any header but they will not sell it by itself because they are afraid others will copy their design
Old 05-04-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PoizentC
Nexus will not sell the o2 sim separate from the header...when I first called them up they had to verify that I actually bought the alphawerks header from a retailer...I'm pretty sure their o2 sim will work with any header but they will not sell it by itself because they are afraid others will copy their design
Welcome to the world of reverse engineering. It will happen. It always does and the smart companies know it and prepare for it (ah la ZPIRacing...they know it and played it right, smart guys). They build then stock and sell the crap out of them before the others show up with a copy..... or they can make someone dig. Then it becomes a challenge to see what they have, where if they could have just bought it for a fair price, they would have not even bothered to figure it out.

They can sell them now or give them away later on a newsgroup or BBS somewhere..... This too shall pass.....sometimes like a kidneystone.

Note, I do not condone this practice, merely pointing out a well know fact in the engineering world.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"This too shall pass.....sometimes like a kidneystone. "

haha..I like that line..made me laugh..especially with that icon
Old 05-04-2005, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i got alpha werk headers and i cant even get them to answer my pm so i can get a sim, but it was the weekend so maybe they got flooded with emails.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They did give a phone number to call and order it, might be better than sending a pm here.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you get in touch with anyone? Victor is out in Cali tending to our move from Chino, CA to Walnut, CA. He is our master negotiator of warehouse leases so he will be out of action till next week. If you need anything my name is Anthony.

If you need a Smart Processor and have our header just give me a call at 877-866-3987. We are giving them at cost for your benefit.

Anthony
Nexus Industry
Old 05-04-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make the call with that number, I got a very quick responce today. Don't remember who I talked to though.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Giravani

Sweet. They may get alot of business from this. A little classier than the antifouler.

Just to give everyone an update, I have not had the chance to call Nexus and order the simulator just yet. I've been busting my ___ trying to pull in some productivity at work and my staff is being most uncooperative. I'm wondering though, Nexus verifies your retail purchase of the Alphawerks header? How do they go about that? What if you purchased it on EBay or from a friend?

Hopefully I can get some clarification before I call these people up and make myself look like an asshat, when I can't provide proof of purchase.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They just need to verify you paid $400 so if it was off ebay, you are fine. If you ordered from a friend and paid less then $400, you are not getting it.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CreativeCompacts
They just need to verify you paid $400 so if it was off ebay, you are fine. If you ordered from a friend and paid less then $400, you are not getting it.
Ah well, that takes care of that. I have the Megan headers, which I'm now removing and going back to the stock header. When I called Megan about the June replacement I asked them about what the flaws of the old design were, and he said that the problem comes from a bottleneck in the 4-1 convergence chamber. Why there is a bottleneck there is beyond me but I was told that the air gets so hot from the friction caused by the bottleneck that it disentegrates the precat from a combination of air speed and temperature. It's no wonder our s-pipes are packed with debris.

I gotta tell ya, if this is true, I will NEVER buy from them again. I don't know how this made it past engineering, but wow, this is disgusting! Sorry, I don't mean to rant but I went to Megan to buy headers, not a flamethrowing monstrosity. And before you tell me that I haven't had them on long enough, or that I haven't given them a chance, that's completely false. In fact I've done my share of defending Megan Racing on ScionLife, and now I feel like a complete idiot.

DO NOT BUY MEGAN HEADERS!! GET DC OR ALPHAWERKS!!

Or you could wait for their offer to replace the faulty model with the redesigned model in June that will supposedly take care of all these problems. My question to you is, if this was something simple, do you think Megan would seriously consider dumping all profits made from the first design into a redesign after their reputation is already smeared? Think about this. The issue isn't about quality or even performance. This is an issue of SAFETY!
Old 05-07-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

things slip by in the r&d of products. compnaies make mistakes...............they are telling you that after the redesign is done they will ship you a new header right? that right there is saying they are trying to fix the issues.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gmoney
things slip by in the r&d of products. compnaies make mistakes...............they are telling you that after the redesign is done they will ship you a new header right? that right there is saying they are trying to fix the issues.
Heh I know that they have a fix on the way, I'm just warning those that are looking to purchase the old design so they don't get stuck with this.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I looked at megan with pre-cat (tctunerz was selling them on ebay for $160-190 at one point), and then read about this little "fix" for the second O2 sensor problem and decided to go with something cat-less. Alhaverks looks nice and shiny but costs like 1/6 of a SC... So DC it was. And not just DC - a used cheap one ;) We'll see how it works out if Fedex ever makes it to my place.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI: We now have over 25 units instock for QUICK shipping
Old 05-18-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so whats the problem with the antifouler and the Alphaworks header? Am i missing something here? Is the antifouler trick not working or something?