Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Alternator swap??????? and AEM question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default Alternator swap??????? and AEM question

I am new here and I did search through the forum so I hope I did not miss it.But my question is, Is there a stock alternator that puts out over 100amps on another Toyota vehicle that will fit my 07 TC without modifying mounts I see 130amp alternators out there just do not know. Also will a AEM Fuel / Ignition Controller help me produce more power or bigger injectors. I have the usual stuff on my car Injen CIA, Strup Header, Magnaflow Cat Back.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You do not need bigger injectors unless you go turbo. And a tune would help, but not much with the very simple mods you have.

Whats the need for a 130 amp alternator?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member

To recharge my batteries faster
Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A FIC would help marginally. When NA normally making power means leaning out the A/F ratio and advancing timing (generally). FIC cannot advance timing to it won't really help you to much.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frosty001
To recharge my batteries faster
Batteries? Maybe you need to explain your setup.

The purpose of an alternator is not to recharge batteries at all, in fact the battery is only used for starting the vehicle and as a voltage regulator for the vehicle. Yes in the first few minutes after crank excess power goes into the battery. However the Alternator is producing all the power to the vehicle during operation. Adding a bigger alternator to a stock car, or even a decently modded car will not help. Unless you have a huge stereo system, there is no need.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Batteries? Maybe you need to explain your setup.

The purpose of an alternator is not to recharge batteries at all, in fact the battery is only used for starting the vehicle and as a voltage regulator for the vehicle. Yes in the first few minutes after crank excess power goes into the battery. However the Alternator is producing all the power to the vehicle during operation. Adding a bigger alternator to a stock car, or even a decently modded car will not help. Unless you have a huge stereo system, there is no need.
x2

As a matter of fact, if you are using it to CHARGE dead batteries, you can actually fry the alternator... They are not designed to charge batteries, they are only designed to run your vehicles electronic systems up to the total amperage output of the alternator. they only charge for about the first minute or less of your vehicle running and aren't designed to handle much more than that. If you need something to charge batteries, I suggest integrating a Battery Tender or Schumacher Speed Charge into your engine bay to plug in at night while its sitting in the garage.