Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Anyone Ported and Polished? Looking to go this route....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone Ported and Polished? Looking to go this route....

Hey i was wondering if anyone got their head ported and polished and if so what kind of hp did you see after the new cams and computer tune....I am looking to go this route in the next couple months and was wondering where you sent your head to get done because i dont want to send it to a place that has never dealt with a TC before..... Thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

id talk to tcpete...he has a PnP head. Im sure he will see this thread soon enough if it stays up at the top
Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you know of anyone else that has it done, it does not seem to be a popular mod, however i know having a head ported and polsihed is a huge increase in hp upwards to 60hp
Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SVicksTC
do you know of anyone else that has it done, it does not seem to be a popular mod, however i know having a head ported and polsihed is a huge increase in hp upwards to 60hp
i highly highly doubt there is 60 hp in PnP a head. but i would love to see some actual car numbers. im thinking 20-30 at absolute most
Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh i know just a PnP head wont, but i mean i know my friend after he got the computer cams and Ported and Polished he mad an extra 55whp im not saying it will be the same for the TC however i know it makes great gains....It also runs around $2000+
Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Oh i know just a PnP head wont, but i mean i know my friend after he got the computer cams and Ported and Polished he mad an extra 55whp im not saying it will be the same for the TC however i know it makes great gains....It also runs around $2000+
well what kinda car was that? If its an older vehicle or even a boosted vehicle that doesnt have a variable valve timing system its definitely possible to see about 30-60whp depending on dyno. Toyota's however have pretty well flowing heads for what they are designed for...which is obviously not big horsepower and tq numbers. There are no cams other than regrinds for these motors at the moment and there is no computer that you can get other than a piggyback system or standalone. Toyota ECU's cannot be reflashed by someone other than Toyota.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was planning on getting cams did not know how many were available, and wanted to get a piggyback system, and it was a variable valve timing car, it was a civic with a gsr motor....I basically want to know is does anyone have this combonation and what are the numbers it puts out before i shell out the 2500 bills for it, thank you for input on toyotas already well flowing heads...
Old 11-09-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your going to go through port and polishing just get a higher compression piston thats where you'll see your power anyway. As for cams Brian Cowler told me they should have cams for the 2AZ out by next summer, but with 11:1 compression pistons, PnP heads, cams and a good tune you can see 40-60 pretty easy.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have P&P a head on a tC before. You wont have to much gain in HP unless you have a good piggyback ECU and the usual I/H/E additions. The main reason why i would do it if i were you, is because the tC revs alot quicker with it on. The RPM's like to climb alot faster when accelerating.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks guys for the input so far
Old 11-10-2007, 07:38 PM

I also am looking to port my head.
I don't have any problem with the actual porting but I'm a newb when it comes to cars.

questions:
what are my options for fueling changes?
can I really remove the head without pulling the motor from the engine bay (I'm not sure if I can see all of the bolts holding the intake manifold on)?

any tips on head removal would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PnP, aem standalone, injectors, i/h/pulley, full 2.25'' exhaust, itb's and a damn good tune you should see 60-80whp

The over-all cost would be around $6,000-/+ including parts and tuning. Just the port and polish alone would only gain around 15-20whp if its done properly, but its virtually useless without any other mods.

The best single n/a mod would be itb's, youd see the highest gain for that mod compared to anything else.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blue_TC_Man
If your going to go through port and polishing just get a higher compression piston thats where you'll see your power anyway. As for cams Brian Cowler told me they should have cams for the 2AZ out by next summer, but with 11:1 compression pistons, PnP heads, cams and a good tune you can see 40-60 pretty easy.
60whp with just those is a bit high for this motor. 40-50whp at most. changing the compression on the 2az to 11:1, you wouldnt gain much whp. Cams and pnp would push 20whp give or take and with the tuning you might be able to push 40, 60 i highly doubt based on everything ive seen.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well right now i have Intake, Pulley, 2.5inch Catback, S pipe, im looking to get headers and then piggyback cams and port and polish....Thank you for all the info so far
Old 11-10-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well right now i have Intake, Pulley, 2.5inch Catback, S pipe, im looking to get headers and then piggyback cams and port and polish....Thank you for all the info so far
Piggybacks are useless on n/a, and almost as useless with f/i. Standalone systems is the only true way of tuning and making power out of n/a.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

search for tcpete's setup,the tc's head isnt all that good from the factory its pretty rough,and the aem piggyback would work good for a n/a setup,not as good as a standalone,but for a mild setup it would be fine.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks ya ill look his up
Old 08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Anybody since this post pnp their setup? Im suprised more people haven't posted about this because it seems like a horsepower release that wouldn't be too hard (nothing complex, just a port that mactches the gasket up) - Or is my logic wrong? Someone with a lot more knowledge please comment. thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i decided to pick up a Turbo Kit instead of going all motor

Kit detials are:

ZPI Stage 1 Turbo Kit
Evo 16g Turbo
Dezod FMIC
550cc RC Injectors PNP
Greddy Emanage PNP harness
Turbo XS Manual Boost Controller
38mm Turbo Concepts OPEN Wastegate
Apexi Turbo Timer
HKS SSQV BOV

Quick Reply: Anyone Ported and Polished? Looking to go this route....