Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Anyone share the same problem????

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Anyone share the same problem????

I have a 06 Tc . I added Dc Headers and a short ram intake.
I have 36k miles and i have been burning oil lately(4 months now)

I have taken it into my dealership in Tucson,AZ and they told me that it is my headers and air intake that is causing them problem. I have now returned to stock so we can see what it is.

I wondered how many others with the same headers(any brand) and short ram intakes have been burning oil?

Thanks for your input!!
Devon
Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member

I have an 05 tc with 37k miles and basically the same mods. I've never had a problem with my car burning oil, though. It's hard to believe that headers and intake would cause that kind of problem...I'd say take your car to another dealership and see if they tell you the same thing.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

thats not whats causing it. take it to another dealer. how much oil does it burn?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

it burns 1 qt every thousand miles
Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by devstc
it burns 1 qt every thousand miles
You've got a big problem, and it ain't the intake or header - neither of those (assuming installed correctly and didn't hose something up) will burn oil.
You're burning a LOT of oil.
Seriously, something is wrong.
You are going to get grief though for those mod's.
I don't think they can deny warranty unless those can be proven to be the cause.

Scott
Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the replies
Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a 06 with all bolt ons and have noticed i was burning a lot of oil, what happened with your situation?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 PM

i dont see how the intake and header would burn oil??? but i have an 07 with intake and header and i dont burn any oil...
Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

Well i have had the run around with the dealership. I called customer support and they told me that it is within their ok usuage amount. You can burn up to a qt of oil every 1000 miles. So basically I still burn oil and since we only have 4.5 qts in our cars by the time we have to get an oil change at 5000 miles we are running .5qt negative in our cars. I guess.
So i guess i have a car that burns oil and it is ok.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 PM
SL Member

wow that's good to know.. i'm turbo'd and i use only 4 quarts each time..
Old 04-08-2008, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by devstc
Well i have had the run around with the dealership. I called customer support and they told me that it is within their ok usuage amount. You can burn up to a qt of oil every 1000 miles. So basically I still burn oil and since we only have 4.5 qts in our cars by the time we have to get an oil change at 5000 miles we are running .5qt negative in our cars. I guess.
So i guess i have a car that burns oil and it is ok.

I'm sorry but that is a total load of BS. Go to another dealer. A car should not be burning that much oil, especially one that has 4.5-4.8 qt.

Go to another dealer. Personally I'd be curious to see if any of there techs are even certified wherever your at. Or have any training to speak of period.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my 07 is always burning oil also, i always carry oil in my car cause of it. i think the dealer might be using to thin or cheap oil thats evaporating easy, i just went to synthetic yesturday to see if that was the problem. example in a 5k mile drive my dip stick can be to the lowest point of the level. im sure toyota knows if they state check oil every time you fuel up.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Though it is correct that 1 qt / 1000 miles is considered "within spec"... I haven't seen a modern car that normally has that much of a burning issue, outside of a renesis rotary. Those have oil injectors.

Check your coolant for mixing. That'd indicate head gasket.

Intake / header won't cause any oil problems.

Perhaps the plug isn't on tight, and it's leaking? I've never had any oil issues whatsoever at 45k... and I've been modded since 5k.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And what kind of oil are you using? Cheap, crappy oil would break down, gum up, and burn off quick.

Synthetic's a good choice anyway.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your dealership said that your intake and header are what is causing your tc to burn oil, they either 1. lied to you because you are a woman and they figure you don't know how a car works that you would believe them or 2. that they really don't know a thing about cars.

but yeah, there is an allowable amount of oil a car is allowed to consume, not sure how much it is, but i guess you have to drive around with a few quarts of oil in the trunk just in case.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i've always used mobil 1 and royal purple and i get the same results. I seem to get a knock when its cold outside whenever i shift 1st through 3rd when i first start the car up and it only seems the happen when my oil is low. I have a crank pulley and engine dampner too, for some reason i'm starting to think they are causing the problem, maybe?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

Even after i have put my car back to stock, i still burn oil. So when they had monitored it after a 1000 miles again i asked them to do a compression check and they stated that they couldnt do that unless i paid for it myself. They did give me a list seperate of a couple things to do to my car that isnt stated in the maintenace manual and for some reason it wasnt on toyota paperwork-it was done on a regular spreadsheet from excel or something. One thing was a fuel induction service- not sure why at 45k i need to do that but.....
I use whatever oil they give me at the dealer but i have asked a mechanic about using synthetic and they said our cars would run different on a thicker oil, They said our cars were made to run with the thinner oil better. I havent had time to get a second opinion on that but..
I know my dad is a ASE certified mechanic and i get most of my advice from him and he thinks they are full of it. It must be me being a girl that seems to give me the run around at the dealership cuz it seems like every time i have ever brought my car anywhere i have gotten treated like that, and even worse than they are in Tucson. so....
Old 04-08-2008, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

35K miles and burning that much oil will lead to a bigger problem, unless u broke in the car revving the hell out of it haha, but as long as u dont see smoke or overheating i guess its ok, just make sure u pay attention to ur oil light and oil level, i always look at my light when i start up the car and if the light seems like its staying on longer than normal at start up then i would check the oil

our cars do run on thin oil 5W20 goto a known dealership in tucsan that has a positive rating or call scion HQ and ask is it normal they have all the answers there
Old 04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SmooVtC
well i've always used mobil 1 and royal purple and i get the same results. I seem to get a knock when its cold outside whenever i shift 1st through 3rd when i first start the car up and it only seems the happen when my oil is low. I have a crank pulley and engine dampner too, for some reason i'm starting to think they are causing the problem, maybe?

My car knocks when i am getting low on oil, thats how i noticed something was wrong in the beginning,
Before i had this car i had a old Ford EXP that had oil leaks from hell and i never had to put in oil as often as i have this car. It even leaked on the ground, Tc doesnt leak on the ground though.

Why would the pully or the dampner cause a oil problem? Cuz crazy thing is i also have those on my car and i havent changed those back to stock, ?? Any one have any ideas on those mods? I know the dealership never said anything about those two things and i think when they were trying to figure out what is causing the problem they would have mentioned it. I know they are just as puzzled as to why it is burning oil,
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

It is weird though that even after they showed me the manual stating that my oil burning is within speak, they wanted to continue to monitor the oil usuage every 1000 miles.

I just dont want this problem to ruin my car later on when the warranty goes out at 100,000 miles boom my cars engine blows up and then it is my issue.
I wanted this car to last me a long time, I have seen toyotas last several hundred thousand miles if you take care of it, and i have taken care of my car.