Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

APEXi SAFC

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default APEXi SAFC

Once all the typical bolt ons are in place (I/H/E and possibly throttle body) what about bring it all together for some fine tuning..i know the MAFci system is now being discussed , but what about other options...

i dont think a N/A bolt on car can justify needing a stand alone ECU like the AEM one but what about the APEXi SAFC unit..it adjust A/F...

http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_safc.asp

i am almost positve retarding the timing is not necessary until boosted application become integrated..however , feeding the engine all this air must result in leaning out the A/F ratio....right? so will somthing like this unit should be suffecient for the mean time?

can the stock ecu be tuned remotely w/out using a piggy-back??

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 03-11-2005, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

lil' bump
Old 03-11-2005, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tuning the a/f ratio w/o a piggy-back? Short of a reflash or standalone, I don’t know of any other ways to adjust a/f ratio maps. But, in terms of other piggy back options, right now there are, I believe, 3 that are in the works. One from Unichip, which will be able to modify a/f ratio as well as the VVT-i adjustments. They come w/ pre-programmed base maps for various setups, such as stock, or stock w/ intake and header, etc. Once you purchase a map, the chip can later be custom tuned for your setup at any dyno that has a Unichip technician. The chip will run you about $600 - $800, for a n/a setup, and about $800 - $1000 for a f/i setup. There is also a chip in the works from Custom Performance Engineering, which you mentioned already. The 3rd, I believe is from what use to be primarily a Subaru only company, but their name escapes me at the moment. Those will all be pre-programmed/tuned. The Apexi SAFC unit, however, is universal, and you would have to do the adjustments yourself. And, I'm not sure it would work w/ the tC, since the SAFC appears to be designed for cars that use a MAP, not a MAF like the 2AZ-FE.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i heard somewhere that the stock ecu notices the extra air and adjusts the fuel to compensate is that true?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure it does bc it has to compensate for temperature differences which affects air density, which affects volume, so I'm pretty sure it does but I'm not positive
Old 03-13-2005, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hmmm alright... it hink the company mentioned was maybe vishnu? or perrin?.. not sure.... a friend of mine i ran into told me that the APEX SAFC is not that great of a tuning tool anyways....
Old 03-13-2005, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All of the new toyota ECU's will reset back to normal after like 2 days of using an A'PEXi SAFCII. It has been tried on Celica's many times and it fails to work. It is a waste of money.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

oh no ____... ... well good lookin out....that woulda been a waste of time/money