Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto to Manual Swap, a slightly different case.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Auto to Manual Swap, a slightly different case.

Hey guys, I'm going to be helping my friend (or in this case, doing most of the work) with his auto to manual swap. The thing is, while I've been reading the thread about swapping it in a tC, I was wondering if I could get any advice for an xB2. I plan on sourcing a tC transmission, but I wonder if I can use all of the "electronics" for the xB2? They should theoretically be the same transmission, so they could use the same electronics, right? Also, will the mounts for the tC work or should I buy everything that is xB2 related? I've never seen a side by side comparison of tC vs xB2 manual before. In fact, I've never actually looked at/under a tC before, so any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:39 PM
1AZ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you havent done any prep work i would hold off....There is many things your going to need besides just another tranny!

Do about a week of research have your friend give you his wallet than start the build....!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1AZ
If you havent done any prep work i would hold off....There is many things your going to need besides just another tranny!

Do about a week of research have your friend give you his wallet than start the build....!
I already have the parts list of everything else. I'm mainly trying to determine the fitment of the tC vs xB2 transmission.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I am not mistaken, I believe that both xb2 and the tc1 use the same transmission.

The auto is the U241E and the manual is the E351. If I am not mistaken, the 4 speed auto that was mated with the 2AZ-FE engine in the matrix, corolla, camary is the U240E and the 5 speed is the E350. The variation in which the 241E and the E351 are from the different gear ratios that is used in the xb2 and the tc1.

For a while, I have been wondering about the compatability of the two auto transmissions. For instance, if they are the exact same, then it should be possible to use the xb2 sequential transmission in the tC1 giving it the "sequential" capabilities which would result in a much stronger valve body along with stronger automatic internals.

Your question pertains to the manual tC transmission in the xb2. I think that if the 5-speed xb2 uses the e351 originally then the swap shouldn't be a problem. You would just source the xb2 manual ecu and things like that.

Of course this is just speculation. I would check with the xb2 and tc1 service manuals and check with reputable transmission and other auto shops.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I contacted Kareem @ Descendant and he basically assured me they were the same, but with different gear ratios. So yeah, good news for my friend. tC trans are everywhere!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i thought so. Most auto manufactureers like to use the same parts for different vehicles. Generally speaking if the part number is the same... it is interchangeable.