Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap - Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got 2 transmission for sales in the for sale sections
Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

well i now officially only have 1st n 2nd lol.... kinda mixed between auto build or swapping to manual.... just a quick run thru this post and i see some people saying "you need this" and some people saying "itll work without it" so i guess my question is has anyone done this enough times that they can say first hand what is REALLY needed and what is not... i see some confusion on the center console... ecu/harness.... gauge cluster... basically does someone have a FIRST HAND break down of what they did... id be willing to pay cash for the correct advice lol

EDIT: btw im 2007 90k miles auto Greddy kit at 9.5psi
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your looking to go with the minimium you need flywheel, clutch, manual trans, manual shifer cage, shifter cables. If you wish to change out the cluster, ECU, wire harness, center console thats up to you but its not needed. You can use the auto cluster, ECU, harness I know that for a fact first hand because I left them in my car and it runs fine.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcchris38
If your looking to go with the minimium you need flywheel, clutch, manual trans, manual shifer cage, shifter cables. If you wish to change out the cluster, ECU, wire harness, center console thats up to you but its not needed. You can use the auto cluster, ECU, harness I know that for a fact first hand because I left them in my car and it runs fine.
id suppose the most reliable setup really.. are there any problems running the auto ecu anyone has run across... i saw i believe soflo said it thinks the clutch is always in.... thaaaaaatttss weird for me lol would that mean id need to go with an 07 manual ecu and harness.... is there anything else involved?

my buddys shop i take my car to get all my work done at said if i was able to get a complete parts list of everything needed he would be able to work with me with pricing and finding parts and so on...

built auto tranny from ipt $3400+ labor vs manual swap $????

weighing it all out lol annnnd its hard lol
Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope there isnt any problem running all the autop stuff. The only thing is that there will be CEL on all the time becuase the ECU is looking for the Auto trans and there isnt any feedback coming from the trans because there is 3 sensors that the auto has and the manual doesnt.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah - at minimum you'll need the following -

clutch pedal
clutch master cyl
New brake fluid reservoir with line for clutch mast cyl
clutch slave cyl
hydraulic hard lines for clutch
shifter with linkage
flywheel
clutch
transmission
rear motor mount (trans side)
driver side motor mount (trans side)

I think thats it. I know for a fact there's no real need to change the axles, and the car will work with the auto ecu/harness, itll just throw a cel. I also noticed some weird timing and other things at various rpm's (most likely shift points). Id highly recommend on getting the manual ecu and harness unless you plan on going to a standalone.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont have to change wire harness, ecu or cluster but to just have everything easy as cake its best to change the ecu, and harness. It will just be plug and play oppose to using the auto ecu where you have to trick the immobilizer, also have to do some cutting on the auto wiring harness.. id just switch harness and ecu to make life easier... few hundred bucks more for a build like this wouldn't hurt in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really don't want to read this whole entire thread, but I doubt it's been discussed. If not please correct me...

You guys wouldn't happen to know how to switch a manual transmission to an auto?

I'll gladly explain myself if anyone asks. Just no smart ___ remarks.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one of the axles is different - i think passenger side
Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LETZgoBUDDY
I really don't want to read this whole entire thread, but I doubt it's been discussed. If not please correct me...

You guys wouldn't happen to know how to switch a manual transmission to an auto?

I'll gladly explain myself if anyone asks. Just no smart ___ remarks.

this is not a How-To thread says it on the title PARTS LIST.

Discussion of how to go about such thing is explain briefly but to broaden your knowledge on things you first do some research and read a little bit not just expect us to explain it all over again for the 40th time.

Not coming off harsh i'm just saying
Old 07-28-2011, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ no worries, i know you guys are a knowledgeable crowd which is why I came to this thread which is inversely related to my question. I have done some research (probably not in depth wherein I would call, or ask a tech) but at least from online research, and I wasn't aware that there would be a thread that would even be interested on doing a manual to auto swap. Merely googling "Scion tC Automatic Transmission swap" or "manual to auto swap" doesn't get me anywhere except brochures.

I guess I'll read the thread and figure out what people would do to swap it into a manual, and flip it... I just figured someone would tell me straight up on what to do or what parts you need for auto rather than manual. Thanks for your help anyways.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trd07tc
one of the axles is different - i think passenger side
Wrong driver side.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 AM

i dnt think u have to switch the tranny mount i think they are the same im doing it right now as we speak i just finished bolting up the shift linkage and complete pedal assembly and line im waiting on my clutch to come so i can bolt up the tranny and ill see whats up i think the most difficult part would be to override the park/neutral safety switch.. if any one knows how id appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought a different ecu and wire harness I got em for 200 offline. I heard you have to wire something to keep ur stock ecu and ____, itll work tho.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres my list so far.... Im going for bigger numbers on a turbo thats the reason for this
Manual Transmission (300) Mileage: 30,907 (NOT USING)
Axle Assy Left Driverside(45.99)
Clutch/ Brake Pedal (34.99)
Shifter/ Shift Linkage (34.99)
Center Console (39.99)
Master/ Slave Cylinder (30.99)
TRD Shift **** (45.99)
ECM/ ECU (59.99)
Doctor Isotopes: Cable and Cage Bushing Set (42)
Instrument Cluster (79.99)
2005 Engine Harness Manual (170)
NEW Built TPR Transmission w/ LSD (1750)
Scion OEM Parts (170)
Energy Suspension Mounts (55.40)
B&M Short Shifter (136.62)
Techna Fit SS Clutch Line (41.15)
Act Clutch (406.99)
OBX Pedals- (24.99)
Fidanza Flywheel- (315.17)
Throw Out Bearing (1)- (47.86)
Slave Cylinder Bolts (2)- (1.82)
Gota try and do something with mounting the clutch. Not sure yet.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok. neither axle is different the auto has a balancer on it only difference. both axles are same length either manual or auto can be used. auto harness works fine just have to bypass the neutral safety switch under the fusebox. also id run a manual ecu otherwise idles shakey and idk if its related but occasionlly my car freaks out when im on low gas (eletricaly) i have a manual ecu though its just the trd flash and im currrently n.a. and gauges work fine too only thing youd "need" is the plug from the manual harness for the reverse light then cut the auto harness for the two wires and tie together.

PART LIST I USED
transaxle
clutch/flywheel
both motor mount brackets
clutch/brake pedal assembly
master cylinder
slave cylinder
stainless steel clutch line
stock hydraulic lines
clutch reservoir
manual ecu (need to relearn ecu to car)
shifter assembly
shifter cables
manual shifter boot
short throw shifter, lol
shifter bushings/cage risers
gear oil
optional new axle seals (recommend)

THAT IS ALL YOU NEED FOR THE SWAP
manual ecu = good idle/no cel's
harness = unnecessary work/possibly no reverse light or get the clip for it or solder wires directly to sensor? i bought one and just cut the reverse sensor connector off.
gauges = POINTLESSSSSSS, only difference is PRD32L (my R still glows =D)
axles = pointless but if it makes you feel better. i still have an extra one just incase.
any other questions pm me. i have the diagrams for both the relearning of the ecu and bypassing the nss.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplylibet
ok. neither axle is different the auto has a balancer on it only difference. both axles are same length either manual or auto can be used. auto harness works fine just have to bypass the neutral safety switch under the fusebox. also id run a manual ecu otherwise idles shakey and idk if its related but occasionlly my car freaks out when im on low gas (eletricaly) i have a manual ecu though its just the trd flash and im currrently n.a. and gauges work fine too only thing youd "need" is the plug from the manual harness for the reverse light then cut the auto harness for the two wires and tie together.

PART LIST I USED
transaxle
clutch/flywheel
both motor mount brackets
clutch/brake pedal assembly
master cylinder
slave cylinder
stainless steel clutch line
stock hydraulic lines
clutch reservoir
manual ecu (need to relearn ecu to car)
shifter assembly
shifter cables
manual shifter boot
short throw shifter, lol
shifter bushings/cage risers
gear oil
optional new axle seals (recommend)

THAT IS ALL YOU NEED FOR THE SWAP
manual ecu = good idle/no cel's
harness = unnecessary work/possibly no reverse light or get the clip for it or solder wires directly to sensor? i bought one and just cut the reverse sensor connector off.
gauges = POINTLESSSSSSS, only difference is PRD32L (my R still glows =D)
axles = pointless but if it makes you feel better. i still have an extra one just incase.
any other questions pm me. i have the diagrams for both the relearning of the ecu and bypassing the nss.
I basically want my car the way it would've come from the factory if I bought it manual instead of auto. So everything has to go. For an extra couple hundred to get the ecu, harness, axle, gauges to me its worth it. I work at a toyota/scion dealership and the techs said the same thing to me if you got the money spend it and do it right.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i mean if that's what you want go for it. im saying that's what i did and it works just like it came out of the factory as a manual only thing is the gauges really. and its a pain to match them cus they have to send them away to get the numbers set and blah blah. good opportunity to do an led swap though!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm confused with the ECU part? I know with my gauges I have to send them out to get my mileage matched... luckily I work at a Toyota Stealership and they can send it out no qestions. But the ECU doesn't need to be reflashed does it, like does it hold any info to a certain car? I do have an 05 engine harness will that create it to work? I have yet to see anyone do the engine harness, gauges and ecu.

Last edited by MillerRS1; 10-27-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't switch wiring harnesses, but run a manual ecu, will you still be able to retain function of the cruise control? Just curious if the ecu will freak out because there is no clutch engagement switch.

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Transmission Swap - Parts List