Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap - Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
If you don't switch wiring harnesses, but run a manual ecu, will you still be able to retain function of the cruise control? Just curious if the ecu will freak out because there is no clutch engagement switch.
Oh sorry I have the 05 engine harness and 05 ecu.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im thinking thats not even possible im guessing the Auto and Manual harness has different plugs that go into the ECU so mix matching them probley wont work
Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The manual ecu has been plugged into the auto harness by multiple people on this forum according to some other threads....
Old 10-30-2011, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O I didnt think that could be done learn something new everyday
Old 10-30-2011, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O sorry I got my answer I contacted PTuning I didn't really explain that well I have an 05 Manual ECU and I bought an 05 Manual Harness so all I need to do is PnP and then reset the ECU and itll start. So I'll find out when I'm down that road further.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick question in case anyone still looks at this thread. What's the minimal amount of stuff you need to remove in the interior in order to swap the transmission?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Quick question in case anyone still looks at this thread. What's the minimal amount of stuff you need to remove in the interior in order to swap the transmission?
Should be just the shifter bezel, HVAC, and center console. I saw some people took out the whole dash...... I haven't had to
Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you need to take the top dash off definitely. to secure the screw on top for the clutch pedal and also if your switching brake pedals there's a screw ontop of the assembly.
and you CAN get by without removing the heater core. i went this route. HUGE pita undoing the screws for the linkage under it NO room at all i did 1/8 a turn at a time with and open 10mm wrench. id def recommend gutting minimum: dash, lower/upper waterfall, cup holders, glovebox(ecu), and optional heater assembly.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplylibet
you need to take the top dash off definitely. to secure the screw on top for the clutch pedal and also if your switching brake pedals there's a screw ontop of the assembly.
and you CAN get by without removing the heater core. i went this route. HUGE pita undoing the screws for the linkage under it NO room at all i did 1/8 a turn at a time with and open 10mm wrench. id def recommend gutting minimum: dash, lower/upper waterfall, cup holders, glovebox(ecu), and optional heater assembly.
Pubes, I dont wana hear that haha I got the brake pedal in with no problem ( just unbolted two bolts). I havent done the clutch pedal yet, next weekend the transmission gets dropped I work at a Toyota dealership a few techs are doing that part with me. I gutted all the center like u said the waterfall, shifter bezel, cup holders and center console.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MillerRS1
Pubes, I dont wana hear that haha I got the brake pedal in with no problem ( just unbolted two bolts). I havent done the clutch pedal yet, next weekend the transmission gets dropped I work at a Toyota dealership a few techs are doing that part with me. I gutted all the center like u said the waterfall, shifter bezel, cup holders and center console.
did you do the whole assembly or just the arm? cus if i remember correctly it was 4 bolts and the pin holding the push rod. also i could've swore it has a bolt ontop to mount it, i know this is definitely true for the clutch pedal
Old 01-26-2012, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplylibet
did you do the whole assembly or just the arm? cus if i remember correctly it was 4 bolts and the pin holding the push rod. also i could've swore it has a bolt ontop to mount it, i know this is definitely true for the clutch pedal
I just did the arm, the assembly is all the same.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 PM

i really want to do a swap i love my Tc but i wish it was a 5 speed but i gotta work with what i got. but does any one have any pictures or instructions on the how too?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 PM

lmao yeah the brake pedal looks like a clutch pedal
Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can do it without pulling the dash. I did. Its a bit of a pain but you can get to the top bolt for the clutch with the cluster removed You will however need to remove the fuse box/junction connector under the dash. Its about 7 or 8 wiring harnesses and a couple bolts. Not hard really as the harnesses will only fit in their own slots.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
You can do it without pulling the dash. I did. Its a bit of a pain but you can get to the top bolt for the clutch with the cluster removed You will however need to remove the fuse box/junction connector under the dash. Its about 7 or 8 wiring harnesses and a couple bolts. Not hard really as the harnesses will only fit in their own slots.
Alright cool! Where is the wire harness for the clutch are they tucked up in there or what do i have to do?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have no idea. I dont have either of the clutch switches hooked up. I just have the ECU switch bypassed so the cruise works, and the start bypassed so it starts whether I have the clutched pushed in or not.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Wow. that's impressive! lol I took mine off also to adjust pedal height cus I couldn't get to the bolt. The dash is only 6 bolts 1 clip and the pillars anyway. (Beside the glovebox/waterfall) and I never removed the fusebox/junction connector. Do you mean to drill for the master?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We're going to try and drill from the outside in for the master cylinder/ clutch pedal..... we'll see how this works.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh yeah thats what it was - I pulled the fuxe box to get the 90* adapter for my drill up in there. Used a hole saw for the big hole and a bit for the two smaller bolt holes - wasnt bad at all.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I managed a drill up there but it was a air drill realllllly compact. But no wayyyyyyyy drilling from the engine bay you can't get behind the strut tower. Its not bad at all under the dash plus the spots already marked where the sound dampening pops out! Then just take that to make a template or the master cylinder gasket mark and drill.

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Transmission Swap - Parts List