Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Auto tranny issue

So, my auto tranny is doing something strange. Shifting between 1 and 2, it would almost randomly suddenly drop RPMs to 2000 and hold there for a few seconds, then go back into my control. I figured at first I was hitting redline and it was a failsafe sort of thing, but then i remembered, it would just bounce on the rev limiter. so then i checked engine oil and tranny fluid levels, all normal.

only thing left? overheating. anyone else have this issue? know what it is? i know it wasnt some mechanical problem. it was distinctly electronic. only really happened while revving up.

it runs fine now.

which also brings me to... has anyone installed a tranny cooler? maybe from b&m?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess not!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be several issues including the torque converter. Take it to the dealer if in doubt, have it looked at just dont mention the autocross thing.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions

yea that exact same thing happened to me. like if i were to drive shifting from 1 to 2, it would like high rev but not go in gear, then like it would go back in gear. so i just took it to the dealer, and they found out that it was a disc slip so they replace my trans for a whole new one for free.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how weeeird. ill get it checked out! thanks :]
Old 04-20-2006, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I was recently on the freeway stuck in traffic doin about 45 and I found and opening and Put the Pedal to the metal and my car just revved to redline and did not engage a gear, I had to let off the pedal, let the car settle and then hit the gas again.

Same thing happened about a week later, I was coasting down a hill and puched the gas, the car just revved, totally loss power and then Launched into gear and threw me into my seat with a hard jolt.

Weird eh?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member

i experienced a similar problem with my '01 civic... issues with the torque converter and the tranny was circulating fragmented clutch in the transmission fluid. have you been going from reverse to drive without complete stops? sounds like the transmission could be in trouble...
Old 04-20-2006, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

It is definetly possible I have gone from Reverse to Drive on a few occasions to peel out in a parking lot or something. Its not like an everyday thing though. Keep in mind that this problem started when I only had about 2k miles on my tranny.

I have thought that there may be metal shavings in the Tranny fluid from the original break-in period, However the dealer doesnt do tranny fluid flush changes during regular service intervals.

The only thing I wonder is... If I take it to the dealer, they are going to want me to re-produce the error with them in the car, and I fear I wont be able to do that since it happens on a rare basis.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that is super lame and definitely needs to go to the dealer. you KNOW something is wrong, so make sure they open it up and check it out.

ive probably done the reverse/drive thing before too. but my problem was nothing like that, and hasnt happened since the "overheat." hmmm
Old 04-20-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions

Originally Posted by MrHer0
I was recently on the freeway stuck in traffic doin about 45 and I found and opening and Put the Pedal to the metal and my car just revved to redline and did not engage a gear, I had to let off the pedal, let the car settle and then hit the gas again.

Same thing happened about a week later, I was coasting down a hill and puched the gas, the car just revved, totally loss power and then Launched into gear and threw me into my seat with a hard jolt.

Weird eh?
Dude!! that was the exact same thing that happen to me cept the fact i was going 60. i would rev up to redline and if i keep my foot at the gas, i would not go in gear, but when i let go and hit gas it would stick in gear hard and push me back. Yea man same exact problem like mine. Disc slippage and u should go to the dealer, they should get u a brand new one for free.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...288&highlight=

check it out. same post as u but a while ago lol
Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions

The only thing I wonder is... If I take it to the dealer, they are going to want me to re-produce the error with them in the car, and I fear I wont be able to do that since it happens on a rare basis.
Naw, when i took it to my dealer, they just lifted up the car and diagnose the problem, but they will ask u "Do u have any modifications done to this vehicle?" and if the trans problem was caused by one of ur mods, ur trans will not be covered under warranty.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by lao847
Naw, when i took it to my dealer, they just lifted up the car and diagnose the problem, but they will ask u "Do u have any modifications done to this vehicle?" and if the trans problem was caused by one of ur mods, ur trans will not be covered under warranty.
Hmm, Looks like I will be taking a trip to the dealer tomorrow maybe. Does Scion give 'Loaner' cars? Probably depends on the dealership...

Thanks for the feedback. Did they tell you exactly what the problem was? This would probably help me out to tell them exactly what the problem is.

Drew
Old 04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know, i think im going to go for a 5spd :] 34,000 miles later.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

omg, I was thinking the same thing, I wish that I could trade my car for a 5spd
Old 04-21-2006, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im willing to make part swaps, its just that im not looking forward to the 3k loss in finances.