Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Automatic Transmission Upgrade Info - ZPI SOLUTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did something happen to sciondad. Update please.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did something happen to sciondad. Update please. Video possible?
Old 11-27-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, nothing happened to me. Turboeast was supposed to email me Wednesday afternoon the hook up instructions and never did. I'm sure the holiday didn't help them getting it to me.

I'm ready to go...just need their hookup. Sounds like it will work no problem.

I guess I will have to wait until Monday night,
Old 11-27-2005, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

COme one come on !!!! do you think this will shave 1 sec off the 1/4 time?

I have got to beat this kids lancer ralliart !!!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
No, nothing happened to me. Turboeast was supposed to email me Wednesday afternoon the hook up instructions and never did. I'm sure the holiday didn't help them getting it to me.

I'm ready to go...just need their hookup. Sounds like it will work no problem.

I guess I will have to wait until Monday night,
Hey Sciondad been a long time how are you and Matty havent seen him around I see your still up to modding your auto, how is that going? Have you had a chance to take it to the track any tranny issues ? I know its a lot of f.. questions but ive been away for some time .
Old 11-28-2005, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
Scion Dynasty
SL Member
Premium Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Now I'm interested, but would there be a point to a valve body rework PLUS an electronic shift kit? Would the shift kit have to be reprogrammed to expect / take advantage of the valve body job?

Please let us know how this turns out... I am watching this thread with great interest...
Old 11-28-2005, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no real point to have both, I found.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
Scion Dynasty
SL Member
Premium Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Is there any disadvantage to using the electronic shift kit to boost the line pressure / any advantage to a valve body job?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

valvebody will handle more HP/TQ, but will you will ALWAYS have a firm/more harsh shift. Even during normal driving - unlike an electronics version where you can turn it off and even when its on, it is a more firm shift, but not harsh at all.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
Scion Dynasty
SL Member
Premium Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

So, for a naturally aspirated daily driver that has no plans to see forced induction (but MAY see a 75 shot of N2O), an electronic shift kit would be more than appropriate? I extremely doubt whether I will ever lay down 200whp (or 200 crank hp for that matter) so I wouldn't need the bulletproofing of a valve body job, I think... Plus, as you say, an ESK can easily be disconnected / turned off / disabled, whereas a valve body job is quasi-permanent, unless you want to replace your tranny's hydraulic brain...

By the way -- I got impatient and just got off the phone with Sam from TurboEast regarding the confirmation of the pinouts... he stated to me that he is working to confirm it and that it should be a yes or no by the end of this business week... Additionally, I mentioned the possibility of a GROUPBUY if in fact everything can be confirmed... more on this if the unit pans out...

Good find, ScionDad ~ If this turns out to be gravy, as I expect it will, you're the man for helping us autos out
Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ryan99FL
So, for a naturally aspirated daily driver that has no plans to see forced induction (but MAY see a 75 shot of N2O), an electronic shift kit would be more than appropriate? I extremely doubt whether I will ever lay down 200whp (or 200 crank hp for that matter) so I wouldn't need the bulletproofing of a valve body job, I think... Plus, as you say, an ESK can easily be disconnected / turned off / disabled, whereas a valve body job is quasi-permanent, unless you want to replace your tranny's hydraulic brain...

By the way -- I got impatient and just got off the phone with Sam from TurboEast regarding the confirmation of the pinouts... he stated to me that he is working to confirm it and that it should be a yes or no by the end of this business week... Additionally, I mentioned the possibility of a GROUPBUY if in fact everything can be confirmed... more on this if the unit pans out...

Good find, ScionDad ~ If this turns out to be gravy, as I expect it will, you're the man for helping us autos out
Cool, I just sent Sam an email about an hour ago myself. One of their techs said he had the pinout. I explained what was found here and he said to wait for their findings. I have the box, the ECU harness from Dezod so I don't cut up my ECU harness (plus I'm going emanage) and waiting to hook up.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

assuming this all goes through, for those of us who aren't DIY-saavy, where/how could we get this installed? I'm assuming it won't affect long-term reliability? thanks...
Old 11-30-2005, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
Scion Dynasty
SL Member
Premium Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

FWIK, long-term reliability is actually improved with an electronic shift kit... stock trannys overlap the periods when the clutch packs for the two gears are engaged, i.e., for a 1-2 shift there is a period when the clutch packs for both 1st and 2nd are engaged. This results in a smooth shift, but as you may have guessed, results in some wear on the clutch packs. There is a tradeoff between shift smoothness and clutch longevity made by the manufacturer... An electronic shift kit boosts the transmission fluid line pressure, which means the associated hydraulic cylinders, pistons, and clutchpacks will actuate quicker -- results: lower shift time, higher shift "harshness," decreased clutching overlap, etc...

As far as the wiring: I would have to go with ScionDad on this and recommend that you do NOT splice directly into the ECU harness, but rather use a modified extension harness... that way, returning this mod to stock is as simple as unplugging the extension harness and replugging the factory one back in. Splicing wires is not terribly difficult,, but if you don't know how to solder, you may create a "cold" joint prone to failure, which would probably be a bad thing if the splice should fail while your engine is redlined................ Assuming this all goes through, I would be willing to wire it up for you if you would ship me the box and harness, and pay for the return shipping... additional donations wouldn't be turned down, though :D

Anyhow, let's all try and be patient (I know it's hard, I'm at the edge of my seat too!) -- ScionDad has already committed himself, let's see how it works out for him first... ScionDad, you have just become the official tC auto tranny lab rat

Ryan
Old 11-30-2005, 10:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ryan99FL
FWIK, long-term reliability is actually improved with an electronic shift kit... stock trannys overlap the periods when the clutch packs for the two gears are engaged, i.e., for a 1-2 shift there is a period when the clutch packs for both 1st and 2nd are engaged. This results in a smooth shift, but as you may have guessed, results in some wear on the clutch packs. There is a tradeoff between shift smoothness and clutch longevity made by the manufacturer... An electronic shift kit boosts the transmission fluid line pressure, which means the associated hydraulic cylinders, pistons, and clutchpacks will actuate quicker -- results: lower shift time, higher shift "harshness," decreased clutching overlap, etc...

As far as the wiring: I would have to go with ScionDad on this and recommend that you do NOT splice directly into the ECU harness, but rather use a modified extension harness... that way, returning this mod to stock is as simple as unplugging the extension harness and replugging the factory one back in. Splicing wires is not terribly difficult,, but if you don't know how to solder, you may create a "cold" joint prone to failure, which would probably be a bad thing if the splice should fail while your engine is redlined................ Assuming this all goes through, I would be willing to wire it up for you if you would ship me the box and harness, and pay for the return shipping... additional donations wouldn't be turned down, though :D

Anyhow, let's all try and be patient (I know it's hard, I'm at the edge of my seat too!) -- ScionDad has already committed himself, let's see how it works out for him first... ScionDad, you have just become the official tC auto tranny lab rat

Ryan
I thought he was the lab rat for everything.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion Dad

Where did you get the ECU extension harness?? I will probably get the electronic shift kit from those "east" guys. Personally, I'm following your saga with the company/product. Keep us informed pops.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my harness from Dezod. However, it's not a straight thru harness. It is setup for emanage and some of the connections are broke without it. However, ZPI has straight thru harnesses...but they were out of stock when I needed it.

Sam at turboeast faxed me the connection sheet guys. WOOOHOOO.

I will have a full write up on this. Right now, I still haven't reinstalled my turbo because I want to test it without FI first. Get some video. Then install the turbo this weekend and compare the shift with FI.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SO if i buy the harness from zpi all i have to do is plug in the harness to the ecu and then plug in the shift kit thing? will a camcon or a emange also just plug in when i get one?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miamibusta69
SO if i buy the harness from zpi all i have to do is plug in the harness to the ecu and then plug in the shift kit thing? will a camcon or a emange also just plug in when i get one?
Well, the harness basically gives you wires to tap into so you're not cutting up your stock harness. Dealers tend to get a little upset seeing that.

If you get the harness, there will be 2 wires you will cut. Those 2 cut wires (4 ends) will wire right to the E.S.K. (4 wires). Then power and ground.

Emanage is same way to wire up, which ZPI can tell you that later if you're not ready for emanage yet. Camcon should also be the same way.

Dezod only had the prewired ones (ZPI does as well, but were sold out)...which is fine because I needed it anyway.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right... lol so its not that hard and ill only need to spend $300 on a harness one time.

have you shifted with the kit yet?

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Upgrade Info - ZPI SOLUTION