Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Battery Relocation: Help and Advice thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Battery Relocation: Help and Advice thread...

I've been searching all over for some sort of Battery Relocation DIY or install advice guide and have not seen a whole lot for it...

I'm thinking of running a second battery so here's some of the questions I have that I'd like to figure out the answers to:

Best place in trunk? This may sound a bit over the top but I was thinking it might be possible to cut into the floorboard in the far rear right or left corner. Fab up a box and reinforce it to allow the battery to sit low enough for the cover to lay flat.. If not this, is there a better easier place that I'm not seeing? Not the wheel well either. NOT taking the spare out...

Wiring and fuse? I've been reading up on fuse sizes etc.. but I'm wondering where the best place to hook the + line would be. Straight off the battery up front or alternator?? Also, since I'm already running an amp, would it be alright to run it directly off the second battery or should it still be off the 1st?

Lastly, CAN WE SEE SOME PHOTOS??!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For a battery to legally be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle it must be in a sealed enclosure with a vent to the outside. Check out Jegs or Summit for battery boxes. To hook up a second battery you'll need an isolator. That is usually mounted close to the alternator and the rear battery is wired to it using at least 4 gauge cable. The isolator charges both batteries simultaniously, but only enables the front for starting. Just like running 4 gauge or 0 gauge wiring for an amp, you'll need a good heavy-rated fuse close to the battery since the power wire will run the length of the car. For isolators try marine or RV supply houses. Read up on theory and application of multi battery systems in boats, RVs and trucks. And check out how the Lowriders are wired. That should give you some ideas. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If you use a gel or drycell battery, you don't need a box.
For best performance put it as far back in the righthand corner as possible.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a second Battery Look into one like this

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4575

Its a tiny battery that produces 850 amps. Connect the battery to the front battery positive and the front negative.

I have heard many discussions on whether you need to use an isolator. Most of the car audio guys say you do not.

Best of luck to you.