Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Because of this..I will buy a Lightweight Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so is there a diffrence in the UR and NST pulleys?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe this will break it down for everyone simply.

when you cut/reface a brake rotor or drum you have to wrap it in rubber to absord the harmonics. Not to balance it. If you do not do this it will howl and the cut will chatter and be ruff. Thats the diffrence between harmonic vibration and balancing. (well not really but it makes the point a little easier to understand.)
Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by FIREDOG
so is there a diffrence in the UR and NST pulleys?
Every company in the last 10 years that has tried to copy or make crank pulleys similar to ours has gone out of business because of poor quality. Whether it be unbalanced parts made from castings, instead of billet or slack general machining tolerances (lateral or circumferal runout) causing wobbles or hopping. We are not saying it cannot be done but nobody can do it for less than UR with the same quality, performance and lastly spotless reputation. Buying a copy is not worth the risk for a few dollars when you consider the costs of a problem.

Respectfully,
Shawn Baumgartner
President
Unorthodox Racing Inc.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im sorry i was under the imression that NST pulleys were the higher quality...
how much are your pulley set?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can I just say one thing?

As a mechanical engineering major I fully understand and support the physics behind NOT buying pullies... that said, I have a hard time believing the other naysayers who state, "Your engine may last 1,000,000 miles or it may only last 1!!!" There's only one problem... we have a thread going for all the pully owners and, suffice to say, no one crapped out in 1 mile. Hell, most are into the several thousands. So, I mean... it seems like a bad case of mathematical data not backing up real world results... which I know happens, but this appears to be severe...

Just saying.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mechanical engineer major at 19 damn u must be like doogie houser smart
Old 02-28-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sly_dawg19
mechanical engineer major at 19 damn u must be like doogie houser smart
I'm only a freshman
Old 02-28-2007, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member

So I would have to say from memory I started learning and working on all my own stuff (dirt bikes to all my cars) when I was about 7 years old.
You had your own car when you were 7 years old.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member

Engifineer you are entitled to your own opinion and facts. You have the facts to back your opinion up and that matters to you. I personally have a crank pulley and love it but at the same time I am entitled to my opinion and facts. I believe a pulley will not harm the life of my engine, and I have my facts to back my opinion up and that matters to me. I know your trying to educate everyone with your facts and all the power to you, personally I don't believe your facts so I have my own. I hope I didn't sound like an a$$hole, I'm just letting everyone know you are entitled to your own opinion. Just read up on facts and learn about the products you are going to purchase.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So, I was directly questioned about my degree based solely off my nickname. I never said my degree was the sole portion of my experience, that was inferred by someone else who wanted "proof" of my education. I answer that question, so now we are going to bash my knowledge, saying I know nothing about anything by electronics (regardless of my years of learning and experience in other areas). Nice sidestep guys, and nice show of you professionalism and maturity.

Again, you will come up with ridiculous attempts to downgrade my knowledge like this rather than simply address the arguments I made directly.

I wasnt trying to sell anyone on my degree, someone questioned me, and I gave them an answer.

My real life experience has taught me worlds beyond a degree and that is what I go by. But I could post all the resumes, quotes from literature, etc and you would still downplay it and claim you are right because you say so.

And if you could learn to read a little further, you would see that I never said I was the all knowing, I stated SIMPLE principles that anyone here can look up themselves. The scientists, physicists and engineers over the years did the legwork, all you have to do is look it up. But I am sure they are wrong too since you know better.

I can argue with someone all day long and still respect them, but this is ridiculous
Old 03-01-2007, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kylefry31
So I would have to say from memory I started learning and working on all my own stuff (dirt bikes to all my cars) when I was about 7 years old.
You had your own car when you were 7 years old.
Read again. I was rebuilding and working on my own ,motorcyles at 7, as well as beginning to help out as much as a 7 year old can in the shop and on projects my father was working on, leading later to working for him off and on in his shop.

And you miss a point.. I never quoted opinioin. The last I checked, the laws of physics are not opinions. Go argue with Newton
Old 03-01-2007, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member

Well they are your opinions to people because people that don't believe what you are saying think that they are opinions. Thats why I called it your OPINION.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member

Oh and it says "(dirt bikes to all my cars) when I was about 7 years old." so that led me to believe you had a car or cars when you were 7.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by FIREDOG
im sorry i was under the imression that NST pulleys were the higher quality...
how much are your pulley set?
We offer a crank pulley, it is $183.04 regularly its on sale through our site for $152.35 (Includes free ground shipping). This crank pulley is stock diameter so you can use it with the available supercharger.

Thanks for your question,
Shawn Baumgartner
Old 03-01-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by bsherman211
Originally Posted by engifineer
Well, since I am 1000 miles from home sitting in an airport, I dont have a degree on me But if you want some proof, here is a link you can go to from a previous project:

http://academy.gsfc.nasa.gov/2003/ra...son/index.html

Now, if you want to think that I faked my degrees, was hand chosen out of hundreds of applicants and NASA GSFC didnt check my background, then go ahead.
You keep talking about your degree. You must have just graduated. Congratulations. Now I'm no engineer but I've been using pulleys and flywheels from various manufacturers on my cars since I've been into aftermarket performance (17 years) and I have not had a single issue with any of them. Both the pulleys and flywheels have produced significant increases in performance. Both are also race proven.

At the end of the day you need to be open minded about any aftermarket mod. They are supposed to be improvemnts to the cheaply designed factory part. Take a look at the crappy cast factory pulley on my Xa then look at my tight tolerance UR pulley and you'll easily see teh difference in quality. And it makes power, on any dyno!

Some people just like to talk about how smart they are but remember YOU CAN"T TEACH COMMON SENSE.
Apparently you can't teach some people reading comprehension either. Have you even read these posts? One can be open minded about an aftermarket mod, but only until it goes against the laws of physics. Cheaply-designed factory part? What are you talking about? The part that Toyota spends millions of dollars researching and developing? The tolerances of your stock pulley versus those of the UR pulley are not the issue; the issue is the damping and the lack thereof.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

This may have been answered, but why not when taking off the stock pulley, cut off the rubber ring and reuse it with the new pulley?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi Shawn. We argued about this in '99 on the MkIV list. Looks like you haven't learned much since then except to claim the dampers are for NVH (Noise Vibration and HARMONICS not harshness - but you would need to be an SAE member to know that...).

So since you are telling lies, what happened to Guilly Polo's crank position sensor? What happened to Michael Gaari's crank position sensor? What has NEVER happened to a 2JZ with the stock damper or a quality damper? Sure the stock dampers eventually give up the ghost, just like any rubber part. And sure, Toyota made it as cheaply as possible to provide the most good for the least expense. But if it truly were useless, why did they bother to put it on the 2JZ? Why did they bother to put it on the JZA80 Supra - the LOUDEST production car EVER to come from Toyota?

Once again, you refuse to acknowledge the real world failures, you fail to acknowledge the real physics concern (bet you can't even explain why the smaller Honda engines don't have a damper and the larger ones do...)

So, to get 2AZ specific, why do you think there are two gear driven counterbalancers under the crank? Wouldn't that be the NVH you are talking about? Why did they waste the money on the pulley if they spent all this effort on the counterbalancers? Just another expensive part to jack up the price of a car in a hotly contested market segment? I doubt it.

Almost last but not at all least - Shawn - exactly what do you warranty? Just the pulley, right? So even if someone had clear evidence their crank broke from harmonic vibration because they removed the damper and installed an undampened pulley, you would refund the cost of the pulley, correct?

Doesn't that say it all about who is accepting the risk here?

And FINALLY - just so you guys know where I am coming from - I would run one of these pulleys under the right circumstances. I would have to be in a tightly contested racing championship series with sufficient money behind me to ensure I could remove and replace any engine part without any worries about running my team into the red financially. Like the American LeMans Series. Why? Because I have to expect that the tiny (and I mean really tiny) advantage a part like this will give MIGHT be enough to make the difference between winning and second place. I would NEVER put this on my street ride. I wouldn't want to be like Guilly - driving down the road with the engine cutting in and out because the star on the crank position wheel is rotating freely instead of being pinned to its mount where it belongs.

Lance
'93 TT 6 Speed Coupe - yes I still have it.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

^ OWNED!!!!!!! YOUR MY HERO LANCE!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i highly doubt our little 1nz's and tC motors would need to worry about engine failure from a new crank pulley, especially since my stock pulley had no rubber on it whatsoever and was 6 lbs of cast iron.

but then again im only talkin crank pulley for the 1nz-fe and tC motors, other engines and applications need not apply to this post.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

watching post

Quick Reply: Because of this..I will buy a Lightweight Crank Pulley