Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Because of this..I will buy a Lightweight Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the countless evidence to support a ligthened crank pulley, its the countless people out there running them with no apparant ill effect

engifineer im sorry if i have upset you or anything, i felt kinda bad about that post all day at work.

I too want truth and knowledge in this whole pulley thing. I have read all the previous posts, and online documentation. I know there is always slow damage to an engine with any power mod especially this one.

that is why i continue to run my pulley, to give reason and actual proof to me and everyone else on here of what will happen. I am willing to lose an engine to gain a lifetime proof of knowledge, and beleive me engifineer if i find your theories to be correct (which most of them are) i will back you up 100% and even if I can prove the pulley will not cause sever or moderate damage, i still support and back you up for your expanding knowledge and never ending pursuit to gain more auto knowledge, this is what I do also, so even though we argue and try to prove each other wrong, we are the same.

Let us find the truths through results together. As one big scion family

- Jeff
Old 03-31-2007, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member

I'm sorry for dragging this thread up again but I got just came across it and got a good laugh. So much mis-information, so many people here have no clue what they are saying.

My dad, who has been a mechanic for 50 years, owns his own shop, and builds engines, is Toyota certified. He said this thread was full of one-legged guys in a ___-kicking contest.

Now I have built my fair share of motors, a 383 for my 72 Camaro being the latest one, but I don't mess with foreign cars much, and I have no interest in adding pulleys to my TC. I bought the TC because it was cheap, and reliable and since my dad is considered a Toyota expert my town, he recommended it. My dad has worked on these cars for years.

He says that not all pulleys have rubber, or some kind of dampening system as they are not needed in a newer low HP engine. However, Toyota's pulleys are there for one reason, to reduce Noise, Vibration, and Harshness in the cabin, just as some people here have stated. The heavy pulley and thin strip of rubber is there to keep the car quiet and smooth.

Just thought I would add someone’s professional, experienced opinion. Also I think it’s funny that it seems OK to put a SC or turbo on the TC but not pulleys Even if a solid pulley caused the damage some here claim, it doesn’t come close to the stress being put on a motor from FI.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I totally agree with ghetto. If lightening the crank at one end with a lightweight flywheel will make a difference, why not at the other end with a pulley? Of all the things we do to increase hp and tq from our engines, a pulley/flywheel is the least of the stressors. I paid 118 for an agency pulley and I figure a small bit of cheap hp. The difference in acceleration is marginal and I am not going to waste time and $ putting the car on a dyno - maybe when I am done with mods to get a sum total. Perhaps you sacrifice a bit of toyota 'smoothness' but if I wanted that, I would have bought a Camry. When I upgrade my clutch, I will be adding a Fidenza flywheel at the same time.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My father has also done this for near 50 years, owns his own shop.. blah blah. And I started learning from him when I was old enough to hold a wrench.

Our pulley DOES have rubber, and we have posted info STRAIGHT FROM TOYOTA and other large builders explaining exactly what we say. But I guess me, nor toyota, nor lance (aka lo_bux, who also has done this stuff forever and is one of the sharper guys I have met on the forums) nor any of the other sources we have posted know what we are talking about

Funny stuff indeed.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scions rule.

And BLAM the thread is open again

Magic works wonders.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry for bringing up a dead post,
after all this arguing, can anyone confirm yet if they had any engine failure from these pulleys?

its been a while and im sure there are people running these pulleys for quite a while now.
any detrimental effects?

im just curious thats all.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

i think there was an actual thread in where people were updating their info about the pulleys with mileage and what not... I don't know if anyone actually had an engine mess up on them though....
Old 02-11-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my engine exploded from this pulley and i almost died
Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Because of this... I will buy a lightweight crank pulley

Originally Posted by Djicey702
I always wondered about the random installs that some people do to their Tc's without any regard to safety/functionality. One of those random things happened to be a lightweight crank pulley, I was very skeptical about this because it did not incorporate a rubber damper in the pulley.
I was told by a very experienced Jap car tech who once said "if the Japanese put the part on the car, it is there for a reason because they usually think of everything in terms of engineering."
"Jap" is a racial slur, no matter if you meant it to be or not. Now that you've been informed, stop being lazy/ignorant/irresponsible/offensive/etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap