Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

BENT VALVES WTF. / engine clicking

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default BENT VALVES WTF. / engine clicking

So a while ago my engine started making a small clicking sound. I took it into Toyota and they said it was normal. They said the took my head apart and checked my timing and it was all good. When they brought my car out the put a blanket over my header and the clicking sound went away they said put the stock header cover on and it will be fine. Well ever since then it the idle has gotten gradually worse and driving worse. The idle is rough beyond belief its like I have solid engine mounts. (stakes the car) Well when i did my exhaust i didn't really look at the valves and now tonight i took the header off to polish and i look at my valves and at least 5 or 6 are bent. WTF! Well there are 21k miles on my car and the bumper to bumper warranty is 36 k miles and drive train is 60k. They say they will not cover things under warranty if a modification causes the problem. I have put on a CAI and header and exhaust. Those are the only engine mods. Toyota better be fixing this under warranty.

I'm thinking that since the valve was hit by a piston that it will need a new valve train and pistons possibly more.

this is the most obvious one to see the other are a bit difficult to see in the camera. So i just uploaded this one.

The stem on this valve is clearly bent and is basically F*ed

Ideas... other than saying time to build the head I don't have 3k to spend on my FE head.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

return your car to stock parts, and take it to another dealer.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

closest dealer other than that one is a 4 hour drive
Old 04-02-2009, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well.. i dont think that has to do anything with your mods.

i would say that go back to stock and go back but they not stupid.. they can tell if u ever messed around with the intake and header.

so go back to stock and go to another dealer... tell them you were at the other place with this problem and they fooled u they said nothing wrong with your car.. u took the header off and u have saw what u saw.. so fix it.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

true well all the have done is header intake and exhaust. First I plan to take iot back to the dealership where they broke it and have them put a new head or fix the valves pistons and the head.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My engine makes clicky noise too..they say its normal as well when I took it in.

I don't see problems with my idle though other than it being above normal when its cold but thats about it...

is it like a continous non-stop clicking? like a train? but more sharper sound?

Pretty much mine sounds like its got 150k miles on it like those old hondas but mines only 45k
Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a united states law stating that the dealership has to prove it was the modifications that caused the damage.....lemme see here

Federal Warranty Laws

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.
Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

http://www.dynosources.com/dept.asp?d_id=203&l1=203
Old 04-06-2009, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tthe only thing i cant think of that they will say that the header caused it somehow.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only thing i cant think of that causes this is valve floating or jumping time....theres no way headers can cause valve float
Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know... but i would change the header back to stock.. just to be safe against some major BS....
Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

that's what my plan is. thanks all and if you car is clicking and stalling out like crazy then you needd to takle it in ... thats what mine is doin... only 21 k miles.