Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Best full exhaust from header back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 AM
SL Member

Default Best full exhaust from header back?

I am not looking to make my car a beast ... but I just paid it off and would like to free up a few horses. I plan to do an Injen CAI next week, exhaust is next.

I currently have the TRD Axle-Back installed, that will be coming off and going up in the classifieds.

I am wondering what the best system, from header all the way back, including the header.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A header back exhaust won't make the car a beast, bolt on's do little for the tC. Keep the axleback and invest in a turbo if you want to be a beast.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
A header back exhaust won't make the car a beast, bolt on's do little for the tC. Keep the axleback and invest in a turbo if you want to be a beast.

okay first thing wrong with that is, if you did go turbo, you would still need a new exhaust to improve the flow out of the engine. an axleback wont provide the flow you need to get the most out of your turbo set-up and the second thing wrong with this is when you said bolt on's do little for the tC. i have an injen cold air and a full catback exhaust. im putting 20 more horses to the ground than stock. your definition of little and others might be skewed but bolt on's do make a difference, it just depends on how much power you want to pick up. with a good full bolt on system (name brand and dyno-proven parts) you can expect to pick up about 25-30whp.

as far as the best header back exhaust goes i recommend the ark performance exhaust...it is a full catback system but all you have to do to make it a header back is just invest in a good s-pipe. i recommend the one invidia offers. now to the header...alphawerks and weapon-r make the best ones as far as power gains go but i believe weapon-r has discontinued theirs. if you are looking for a weapon-r header look in the classifieds or go with DME. their header is pretty much a replica of the weapon-r. anyways i hope this helps to some degree and good luck with your car!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never did I say turbo wouldn't need a new exhaust. However a fat 3" exhaust on our cars don't do crap like they would for turbo. So if he did go turbo, even with a bolt on exhaust, he'd need to replace it to get power.

Secondly, I'm making 20 more horsepower from my Injen and Exhaust? Why does it feel like 5?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Never did I say turbo wouldn't need a new exhaust. However a fat 3" exhaust on our cars don't do crap like they would for turbo. So if he did go turbo, even with a bolt on exhaust, he'd need to replace it to get power.

Secondly, I'm making 20 more horsepower from my Injen and Exhaust? Why does it feel like 5?
what do you mean it feels like 5?also i was just clearing things up a bit. nothing towards you at all. i agree, unless you are boosted you wouldnt need a fat 3 inch exhaust because of losing back pressure. anyways, were off topic though. he said he didnt want a beast so he is obviously not going F/I so my recommendations as far as diameter piping go is 2.25" so you keep your back pressure in check...2.5" is pushing it with our cars as far as the power gain goes.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 AM

oh i got it, you're saying even though you picked up that much it really feels meager and unsubstantial. well believe me it does improve the performance of our cars..if you dont believe me search this on youtube "scion tc vs. acura type-s...vid 6-9..(i think there's 9) anyways, the kid has full bolt-ons and is running 14.85-15 flat in the 1/4 mile. our car stock in the quarter ranges from 15.3-15.7.