Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Best sounding catback with header?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Best sounding catback with header?????

their are sooo damn many!!! Also adding a high flow vibrant catalytic converter should help with the sound as well too.

Im about to order header + s pipe + catback but not sure what would be the best sounding??
Old 04-17-2008, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the headers I'm leaning towards are the Tsudo 4-2-1 header, JVT or STRUP 4-1 header.

the catback I'm leaning toards are the TsudoN1 which is 200$, megan its only 330$, skunk2, which is 450$ or tanabe concept g which is 450$

All the catbacks i would go with the Vibrant high flow 2.5inch catalytic converter.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MMW Header and Skunk 2 IMO
Old 04-19-2008, 07:52 PM
SL Member

want real advice?

dont get bolt ons bro. I know from experience. Save it and go turbo. your header and S-pipe (500+) you are spending...youll still get nailed by Si's and RSX-S which is the leading competitor to the tC out there on the street.

With the low compression motor and the fact that the motor has already been pretty well built for airflow, your bolt ons wont get you much at all. the hp per dollar is so far from worth it.

Just get your exhaust man and leave it (I would recommend one for turbo applications)
Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont really want to supercharge it or turbo it. I drive 60 to 80 miles every day to work so i like my 27 28 mpg. And I dont want to sacrifice reliability to go boost.

I just want a little tiny boost over stock and a nice sound yah know .....
If I wanted a fast car id just save up and trade in for a used 350z

I'm thinking between these 2 options

1) Cheaper route and go with tsudo 4-2-1 header + s-pipe + tsudo catback all for 600 shipped. Ill just buy a high flow cat to get rid of some of the rasp.

2) More expensive but higher quality route and go tsudo 4-2-1 header + s-pipe, and the ARK DS-T Catback that bolts up to the stock catalytic converter. Total of 1050 shipped.

Then Injen CAI + NST underdrive pulley and Ill have a nice fun little car : )
Old 04-19-2008, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

go with a vibrant full cat back its a little pricey but vibrant makes the nisest exhaust out there and doesnt have a big a$$ watermelon shooter!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Steventc07
MMW Header and Skunk 2 IMO
if you do this you will have no cat at all as the skunk2 is a spipe back
Old 04-19-2008, 09:54 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jblaze4lif
I dont really want to supercharge it or turbo it. I drive 60 to 80 miles every day to work so i like my 27 28 mpg. And I dont want to sacrifice reliability to go boost.

I just want a little tiny boost over stock and a nice sound yah know .....
If I wanted a fast car id just save up and trade in for a used 350z

I'm thinking between these 2 options

1) Cheaper route and go with tsudo 4-2-1 header + s-pipe + tsudo catback all for 600 shipped. Ill just buy a high flow cat to get rid of some of the rasp.

2) More expensive but higher quality route and go tsudo 4-2-1 header + s-pipe, and the ARK DS-T Catback that bolts up to the stock catalytic converter. Total of 1050 shipped.

Then Injen CAI + NST underdrive pulley and Ill have a nice fun little car : )

with my current setup, I still get 20+ mpg. Plus if you go with turbotoyotas turbo kits those are the most reliable on the market, More reliable than the supercharger which is saying alot because the S/C still maintains your warranty which means there must be some kind of reliability involved. Honestly man if you are gonna spend a grand on your car and not go turbo I would recommend just exhaust and throw the rest into your suspension and be done with it.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bolt ons do nothing but make your car sound rice
Old 04-19-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
bolt ons do nothing but make your car sound rice
Ive heard sound clips of the ARK catback with headers and it sounded awesome because this exhaust retains the stock cat ...

Injen CAI sounds awesome not rice ......

and also ... ive seen a few dynos with boltons and you can gain a definite 20 hp throughout most of the powerband .... and lower 1/4 mile time from 15.5 to 15.7 stock to 15.0 flat .... not too shabby ???
Old 04-19-2008, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCmaniak

with my current setup, I still get 20+ mpg. Plus if you go with turbotoyotas turbo kits those are the most reliable on the market, More reliable than the supercharger which is saying alot because the S/C still maintains your warranty which means there must be some kind of reliability involved. Honestly man if you are gonna spend a grand on your car and not go turbo I would recommend just exhaust and throw the rest into your suspension and be done with it.
How much after everything was said and done did your setup cost you ....
Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best catback, IMO: Agency Power. Nice fit and design, and really mean sounding too. It's expensive, but it's worth it. When I upgrade from my Tanabe axle-back, Agency Power is first on my list.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agency Power does look really nice but id still rather go ARK DT-S if I am going to spend that much bc its 2.5 inches throughout, an awesome resonator and retains stock cat .... And retains that stock looking muffler
Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all that for 100 bucks i am just speaking from what i have done i did all the boltons and it was nothing to notice so about all i still have is a underdrive pulley just go turbo cause in the end you will regret spending 1000 bucks for nothing
Old 04-19-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But you have a scion xb ... you cant compare your experiences ....... different car different engine. Ive already read 1000's of posts and most people enjoyed the power gains from

injen cai
4-2-1 header
s-pipe
catback exhaust
nst pulleys

but most people hated the rasp sounded .... but i feel going with ARK and retaining a cat with their superb resonator will sound great ... Well I hope
Old 04-19-2008, 11:27 PM
SL Member

all that for 100 bucks i am just speaking from what i have done i did all the boltons and it was nothing to notice so about all i still have is a underdrive pulley just go turbo cause in the end you will regret spending 1000 bucks for nothing

trust me dude this guy knows what hes talking about...

just go turbo...

My entire setup from kit to install to ems to tune was 5 grand. I dont even have a 2.5 inch exhaust and I am still puttin 262 to the wheels with 274 ft lb of torque. Once I get my pully set that should be another 10 hp and if I feel like upgrading exhausts for turbo (wont be for a while because I LOVE agency power) then add another 10 to that and yea...

OR...

Spend 1200 on bolt ons and heres what will go thru your head...

1st impression : woah ya my car is spunky and sounds great

after a while: hmmmmm....

give it a few months: hmm...still getting wrecked by stock Si, stock RSX... hmmm....

give it a bit more.... man I spent 1200 so my car could basically sound cool...

to conclude this....not worth it...
Old 04-20-2008, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But you have a scion xb ... you cant compare your experiences ....... different car different engine. Ive already read 1000's of posts and most people enjoyed the power gains from

injen cai
4-2-1 header
s-pipe
catback exhaust
nst pulleys

but most people hated the rasp sounded .... but i feel going with ARK and retaining a cat with their superb resonator will sound great ... Well I hope
um i have the same motor same tranny same power and i only weigh 90 pounds more then a tc? dont waste money on bolt ons
Old 04-20-2008, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

injen cai
4-2-1 header
s-pipe
catback exhaust
nst pulleys

um i have the same motor same tranny same power and i only weigh 90 pounds more then a tc? dont waste money on bolt ons
lol yeah I was just about to point that out though. Oh but I thought it was tuned a bit differently, i thought it only but out 158 rather than 161... I might be wrong though, but I guess what's 3 hp anyway.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:05 PM
SL Member

^^ that doesnt really matter too much because both engines have naturally decent airflow which is why bolt ons dont do a whole lot. All bolt on do is help your car breathea tin bit. But if the car can already breathe good that would hint that forced induction is required unless you have a lot of funds to spend on building the motor.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ugh 5 grand a little too much for me though ... just filled up and got 29 mpg ... And id hate to lose that since i drive 400 miles a week.

Thanks for the advice guys but no turbo for me .. Im definitely going to go 4-2-1 header + catback + highflow cat + injen intake + nst pulleys

... I already dropped it and have sway bar so then ill just stick to carbon fiber hood, rims and tints and stuff after the I/H/E/P

Quick Reply: Best sounding catback with header?????