Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Best sounding catback with header?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
Originally Posted by Steventc07
MMW Header and Skunk 2 IMO
if you do this you will have no cat at all as the skunk2 is a spipe back
i thought that was the point?!?!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then add a cat either way its all going to sound like a civic here is the 2afe with a strup header trd exhaust and a cat and resonator added in all in all i spent like 1000 bucks for nothing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l_2dd4PLqOw
Old 04-20-2008, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
then add a cat either way its all going to sound like a civic here is the 2afe with a strup header trd exhaust and a cat and resonator added in all in all i spent like 1000 bucks for nothing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l_2dd4PLqOw
I would try a different axel back. Everyone knows the TRD sounds great, everyone also knows that TRD + headers = RASP and its almost impossible to get around it. Sell your TRD and try something else to go with your headers and custom midpipe...
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jblaze4lif
ugh 5 grand a little too much for me though ... just filled up and got 29 mpg ... And id hate to lose that since i drive 400 miles a week.

Thanks for the advice guys but no turbo for me .. Im definitely going to go 4-2-1 header + catback + highflow cat + injen intake + nst pulleys

... I already dropped it and have sway bar so then ill just stick to carbon fiber hood, rims and tints and stuff after the I/H/E/P

ok well mpg really isnt gonna be hurt that bad with a propper tune. I get 20+ mpg with my setup man. Basically I will repeat myself tho. You are about to spend 1200 on something that makes your car loud and a TIIIIINY bit quicker. But the only things you are really gonna stand up against are old crappy civics and the non SI new civics, normal RSX, bla bla bla...nothing impressive at all for 1200. Think of it this way if your gonna blow 1200 on your setup at least dont spend it and look you are already 1/5 the way there. You have a job ya? Save dude. dont spend your money on dumb crap you dont really have to have. bla bla bla im sure you have heard this before.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCmaniak
ugh 5 grand a little too much for me though ... just filled up and got 29 mpg ... And id hate to lose that since i drive 400 miles a week.

Thanks for the advice guys but no turbo for me .. Im definitely going to go 4-2-1 header + catback + highflow cat + injen intake + nst pulleys

... I already dropped it and have sway bar so then ill just stick to carbon fiber hood, rims and tints and stuff after the I/H/E/P

ok well mpg really isnt gonna be hurt that bad with a propper tune. I get 20+ mpg with my setup man. Basically I will repeat myself tho. You are about to spend 1200 on something that makes your car loud and a TIIIIINY bit quicker. But the only things you are really gonna stand up against are old crappy civics and the non SI new civics, normal RSX, bla bla bla...nothing impressive at all for 1200. Think of it this way if your gonna blow 1200 on your setup at least dont spend it and look you are already 1/5 the way there. You have a job ya? Save dude. dont spend your money on dumb crap you dont really have to have. bla bla bla im sure you have heard this before.
Maybe he doesnt have to have a turbo. I'm spending my money on bolt on mods, I know its a waste and I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't have a job and thus wont be able to afford a turbo for years, where as if I just slowly buy small power adders, I'll atleast get to enjoy having a good looking and cool sounding car now. For some of us it isnt about being able to beat all the cars in our class, we just want to have a cool car that is fun to drive, thats my case atleast. If there was a road course easily accesible to me, I really woundn't care if I was getting beat out by SIs and RSXs, aslong as i was improving my times I would be quite content. When it comes down to it it shoudln't be about the car but the drive, and one can have a great time driving with out having the fastest whip on the road...
Old 04-20-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you guys heard soundclips of the ark exhaust with stock cat and its resonator with header .... sounds pretty beast
Old 04-21-2008, 12:04 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
Originally Posted by tCmaniak

Maybe he doesnt have to have a turbo. I'm spending my money on bolt on mods, I know its a waste and I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't have a job and thus wont be able to afford a turbo for years, where as if I just slowly buy small power adders, I'll atleast get to enjoy having a good looking and cool sounding car now. For some of us it isnt about being able to beat all the cars in our class, we just want to have a cool car that is fun to drive, thats my case atleast. If there was a road course easily accesible to me, I really woundn't care if I was getting beat out by SIs and RSXs, aslong as i was improving my times I would be quite content. When it comes down to it it shoudln't be about the car but the drive, and one can have a great time driving with out having the fastest whip on the road...

well that shut me up haha...if you know its a waste and your in the situation your in with no job and all that then thats fine I guess hehe
Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a job I have a job .... but i dont wana spend 5000 on a turbo lol. I really dont want a fast car either .... But i do think its worth it to spend the 1500 to go from 140 hp dyno to 160 hp on dyno. And i do think 160 hp is possible with the right bolt ons .....

Ive had my car for almost 50,000 miles and im happy with the power ... but a little boost would make me very happy
Old 04-21-2008, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm not sure about others, but i have a couple of reasons for sticking to regular bolt ons, which i'm thinking of taking off and going back to stock anyways. but, 1. more moving parts decreases reliability. with boost, there's going to be a bit of an increase in maintenance, and not everyone's confident enough to throw themselves into this. 2. gas prices, i'm already paying out of my butt to pay for my 87 gas. sorry, i know it's a 20 cent difference between 91 and 87, but, i'd rather not.