Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

BlackMetal's Nitrous DIY (Updated Pics on Pg. 5 - 02/19/09)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I know i'm bringing back an old thread but SickleCell was able to run a 75 shot of nitrous at all times when using his nitrous wet kit. I too am thinking of going nitrous in my tC and I hear many people suggest the Zex kit....the only thing about it is that I don't want to drill a hole in my CAI, are there any other alternatives or will I just have to stfu and drill the hole?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
I know i'm bringing back an old thread but SickleCell was able to run a 75 shot of nitrous at all times when using his nitrous wet kit. I too am thinking of going nitrous in my tC and I hear many people suggest the Zex kit....the only thing about it is that I don't want to drill a hole in my CAI, are there any other alternatives or will I just have to be quiet and drill the hole?
I mentioned in another thread that you can use a Direct Port Nitrous Systems where you wouldn't have to drill a hole in your CAI, with a Direct Port system you install it after your fuel injectors, so you have 4 nitrous "nozzles" (one for each cylinder)... There is little to no modifications required to install that system... It is however more expensive and a tad more complex to install, plus it is recommended that you use some sort of engine management to retard the timings... Even for the system I have installed they recommend to do a 2 degree retard for the 65-shot and a 4 degree retard for the 75-shot (the 55-shot doesn't require anything)... I currently don't have any engine management, but I do have 1 step cooler spark plugs from NGK and running the 65-shot with no problems...

Here is a link for an example of a Direct Port Nitrous System:
http://www.nitrousdirect.com/direct-...trous-kit.html
Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

how much was your kit i want to get one?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kinda don't want to say because I bought it from a seller here on ScionLife , the base Wet kit from Dezod is going for about $666.00 without the purge system and gauge that I have... I got it from this seller: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...033&highlight= Send him a PM with what you're interested in and he'll give you a good price shipped...
Old 02-02-2009, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The seller here sells it for $625 shipped.

You can get it for $550 shipped from other places but the seller here will price match another competitor down to $585 shipped.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackMetal
I mentioned in another thread that you can use a Direct Port Nitrous Systems where you wouldn't have to drill a hole in your CAI, with a Direct Port system you install it after your fuel injectors, so you have 4 nitrous "nozzles" (one for each cylinder)... There is little to no modifications required to install that system... It is however more expensive and a tad more complex to install, plus it is recommended that you use some sort of engine management to retard the timings... Even for the system I have installed they recommend to do a 2 degree retard for the 65-shot and a 4 degree retard for the 75-shot (the 55-shot doesn't require anything)... I currently don't have any engine management, but I do have 1 step cooler spark plugs from NGK and running the 65-shot with no problems...

Here is a link for an example of a Direct Port Nitrous System:
http://www.nitrousdirect.com/direct-...trous-kit.html
SO the wet kit is the best bang-for-buck way to go.

Something like this system:

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=116

Should be used to retard the timing?

Does anyone have experience with that particular system?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you plan on only using the 55-shot, you don't need it (even with the 65-shot with Prem. Gas and a good set of spark plugs)... I'd say you only really need that if you plan on using the 75-shot or higher, or the Direct Port system...
Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

thanks for keeping us updated. i ordered my kit so im just waiting on it to arrive, still need to save for a bottle heater as well, i too will only be running the 65 at most with the colder plug, however my question is how does the car run when your not spraying with the one step colder plug n/a?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It runs just fine... No different than with the stock ones... I have the NGK Iridium 1 Step Cooler... They're great...
Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

So no need for new fuel management whatsoever? That is great.

And is premium absolutely necessary? Do you just run premium all the time? If I ran n20, I would only run in the spring/summer and put regular unleaded the rest of the time. Is this ok? Then run a couple of tanks of premium before you want to run n20?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you're using Nitrous you NEED to use premium gas because of the 91/93 octane content, this helps prevent detonation which could eventually destroy your engine... If you're not spraying and have no intention to for a while you can switch back to regular... Just don't spray with Regular or Mid-Grade... F/IC is only "required" if you plan to use anything over 65-shot... They DO recommend to use a F/IC with the 65-Shot, but I haven't really seen the need to if you got good plugs... This is just my experience...
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice write up man, I just ran a 14.4@100with a 35 shot. it was a bit cold going back this weekend to run with 50hp jets in. Hopfully by summer ill be spraying my 100 shot I just need to pull a bit of timing through my f/ic and get an addition step colder plug
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

what else do you have done
Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

u can click his name. He has a few things listed.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me?
strup header, dumped magnaflow exhaust, a short ram intake, and doc I STS,
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

yeah but not everyone updates them all the time, 14.4 is quick with only a 35 shot, if thats the case 14.0-.1s should be no prob with my mods with the 65 shot
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by weeloTC
yeah but not everyone updates them all the time, 14.4 is quick with only a 35 shot, if thats the case 14.0-.1s should be no prob with my mods with the 65 shot
my trap speed is good for 13's if I could have hooked.
your good for 13's easy with a 65 shot. It really really helps top end. I ran a 15.099 with a 2.3 60ft off spray so you are close to my numbers NA.

not sure how your shot is set up but Im locked out offirst spraying 2nd to 5th from 3k rpm to 6k shifting right at 6
Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

yeah im going to have to mess with the settings, but since i ran my 15.0 i have changes afew things, installed the s-pipe, new exhaust and the aem cai instead of the injen, the kit will be in tomorrow according to fed ex so i should have it on by the weekend, do you have any pics of your setup on another thread on here, i think you are the run running the same style exhaust i just had installed to btw, after seeing your setup i switched but it vibrates too much so im going to have to chenge it up a bit
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

of my nitrous setup?
http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/Saleen7/Nitrous/

its essentially they same as the beginning of this thread only i tapped my fuel line differently, and im running a dynotune tps/window switch that acts as my WOT switch.

if your talking about my exhaust I posted up a thread with some you tube videos I have it dumped right at the little metal bar that goes across the exhaust channel. My exhaust does vibrate a lot but idc really lol
Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

yeah i saw the write up of the exhaust, i think im just going to run the tip out alittle further, i just had a custom 2.5 setup made with one 18" resonator and a 22" magnaflow muffler, sounds good but shakes everything..haha, thanks for the pic

Quick Reply: BlackMetal's Nitrous DIY (Updated Pics on Pg. 5 - 02/19/09)