Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

blew my motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member

i find it funny when people bash street racing or any decision someone makes to do. why do you care? thats your opinion you dont have to judge him just because he does something you dont agree with. i mean who doesnt like a little competition here or there?

and why would you not try to screw a dealership? all dealers are dicks anyway they deserve it. they rape your @ss with labor costs and try to find everyway possible to screw you over.

just my 2 cents but like someone said earlier....im just a kid i dont kno anything right?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't believe all the retards suggesting he put it back to stock and try to fraud a warranty claim. And people wonder why it's so hard to get approved for warranty work.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Disclaimer -What I would do-

I would return to stock and bring to the dealer. An intake and headers should play absolutely no part in blowing the motor. The total horses gained for the two are about 4-5 whp. The only thing I could see happening is metal shavings in the intake. Just take the aftermarket off so that the service department doesn't immediately just throw the blame on the intake. This is what they would do. Get the engine looked at, then tell them what you had on before, and then you have at least levelled the playing field for the prelimary stuff . This way you can assure they will at the least give the motor a proper diagnosis, and determine what exactly went wrong. Besides, it's not like we haven't seen some of these dealers shaft their customers in the past. Nothing agains Dealers, I've found that our service is very honest and straightforward and I have my car serviced here, but there are a few shady places out there. It makes no sense to me to "bite the bullet", and just take the hit, when in reality by removing the aftermarket you are just giving yourself a fair shot.

And as far as Toyota is concerned, Toyota has wwwwwaaaayyyyy more than enough money to replace a motor that is like chump change for them to replace. The simplistic view is that Scion aka Toyota is marketing the tC as a sports compact, and as a sports compact car, it should be able to take a REASONABLE amount of abuse, which will be determined by the data they might be able to obtain from the ECU.

I am not a cheater or a liar, just a person who believes that everyone deserves a fair chance in life.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 707tC
i find it funny when people bash street racing or any decision someone makes to do. why do you care? thats your opinion you dont have to judge him just because he does something you dont agree with. i mean who doesnt like a little competition here or there?

and why would you not try to screw a dealership? all dealers are dicks anyway they deserve it. they rape your @ss with labor costs and try to find everyway possible to screw you over.

just my 2 cents but like someone said earlier....im just a kid i dont kno anything right?
That's a VERY generalized statement and I don't appreciate being referred to as a dick. Why would we try to screw a customer over and take all their money if just like any other business, we are trying to build a good customer relationship so they will return to give us more business in the future? The reason labor is expensive is because the employess are trained on Toyota and know Toyotas inside and out. There aren't very many private owned shops that can say that. All the mechanics are certified to work on Toyota products, unlike other places that probably wouldn't get a manufacturer specific education. I can confidently say that our mechanics are qualified and intelligent, and they definitely know their stuff. Not only that, but if something does go wrong with a vehicle serviced by a dealer, you can bet that the they will have to warranty the claim, since they were the only people that worked on the car and are the only people who can be held liable. This is what I have gathered from my experience at my particular dealership.

And as far as your 'I'm just a kid' statement, it would seem that actually holds true in this situation, as your 'this is bad, so all those are bad', brainwashed mentallity shows brilliantly for your "mature" attitude.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rodlandscion

That's a VERY generalized statement and I don't appreciate being referred to as a dick. Why would we try to screw a customer over and take all their money if just like any other business, we are trying to build a good customer relationship so they will return to give us more business in the future? The reason labor is expensive is because the employess are trained on Toyota and know Toyotas inside and out. There aren't very many private owned shops that can say that. All the mechanics are certified to work on Toyota products, unlike other places that probably wouldn't get a manufacturer specific education. I can confidently say that our mechanics are qualified and intelligent, and they definitely know their stuff. Not only that, but if something does go wrong with a vehicle serviced by a dealer, you can bet that the they will have to warranty the claim, since they were the only people that worked on the car and are the only people who can be held liable. This is what I have gathered from my experience at my particular dealership.

And as far as your 'I'm just a kid' statement, it would seem that actually holds true in this situation, as your 'this is bad, so all those are bad', brainwashed mentallity shows brilliantly for your "mature" attitude.

^^^^^burned.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think the majority of people posting here forgot that dealers have SL accounts too...

I was waiting to see if one would post, ha
Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow.. just wow

I love competition. I dont like risking bystanders lives to do it though. And if some little ricer nearly hits me and my family while street racing, he WILL visit a hospital shortly afterward. Its called respect for the general public.

And I dont care if every dealer is a d!ck (you are wrong.. I am pretty skeptical of dealers and know a lot of bad things about some of them, but I dont generalize, that is an unintelligent thing to do), I have something called ETHICS. I dont rip off anyone (unless they have previously ripped me off ). Just because you assume they can afford it, they are all rip off artists, whatever, you are just as bad (worse actually) for doing that very thing to them. This is one reason people trust me in business, both in career and my side stuff with electronics and cars. They know I have integrity and can trust me regardless of what happens.

And more on the dealers. I have seen some of the worst work done at dealers and have heard the worst rip-off stories usually regarding dealers. But this doesnt mean they are all crooked and I dont treat them that way unless they deserve it. Many people are skeptical of all mechanics because of the ones that rip everyone off. My father has to go through this with every new customer, who eventually learns he will bend over backward for the customer. People generalize because there are a lot of bad ones out there. So I do understand the skepticism, but still believe in giving a place a chance. As far as prices, dealers have a lot of overhead, so thier rates typically are higher than a private mechanic. That is easilly avoided by going to a private mechanic.

And the mention of you being just a kid... well, your comments above dont give you a lot to stand on with maturity, so you should expect some negative comments there.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what happened?.....bump
Old 03-27-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ps. yes our motors are made to handle some abuse put you have to break in the motor correctly first 5,000 miles was probably driven while tires were spinning...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer

Wow.. just wow

I love competition. I dont like risking bystanders lives to do it though. And if some little ricer nearly hits me and my family while street racing, he WILL visit a hospital shortly afterward. Its called respect for the general public.

And I dont care if every dealer is a d!ck (you are wrong.. I am pretty skeptical of dealers and know a lot of bad things about some of them, but I dont generalize, that is an unintelligent thing to do), I have something called ETHICS. I dont rip off anyone (unless they have previously ripped me off ). Just because you assume they can afford it, they are all rip off artists, whatever, you are just as bad (worse actually) for doing that very thing to them. This is one reason people trust me in business, both in career and my side stuff with electronics and cars. They know I have integrity and can trust me regardless of what happens.

And more on the dealers. I have seen some of the worst work done at dealers and have heard the worst rip-off stories usually regarding dealers. But this doesnt mean they are all crooked and I dont treat them that way unless they deserve it. Many people are skeptical of all mechanics because of the ones that rip everyone off. My father has to go through this with every new customer, who eventually learns he will bend over backward for the customer. People generalize because there are a lot of bad ones out there. So I do understand the skepticism, but still believe in giving a place a chance. As far as prices, dealers have a lot of overhead, so thier rates typically are higher than a private mechanic. That is easilly avoided by going to a private mechanic.

And the mention of you being just a kid... well, your comments above dont give you a lot to stand on with maturity, so you should expect some negative comments there.
I'm so glad you said it, engifineer. I was afraid I was going to have to think of somthing witty and try to OWN this kid.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FIREDOG
ps. yes our motors are made to handle some abuse put you have to break in the motor correctly first 5,000 miles was probably driven while tires were spinning...
break in period is 500* miles and 1000 before using cruise control. jus wanted to clear that up lol
Old 03-27-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
Originally Posted by FIREDOG
break in period is 500* miles and 1000 before using cruise control. jus wanted to clear that up lol
I thought the break in was 1000. OH SHOOT, I didn't know anything about that cruise control break in period. I'm SURE I didn't follow that guideline. HAHA.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like someone thought they had a 6speed tranny lol..

BTW engine failer like this is some what rare.. he could be the unlucky few with a bad motor..(not un common) but reagardless of how long he has had the car or beat on it.. if its under warrenty its under warrenty...

none the less i would give this more to driver error then mechanical failer..

and srry but 90% of the dealers out their have the worst mechanics and service out their.. i found that out after my first free and only oil change by the dealer.. when i decided to do it on my own and needed a breaker bar to get the oil drain plug out and the oil filter was put on tighter then my own suspension parts..
Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I thought the break in was 1000. OH SHOOT, I didn't know anything about that cruise control break in period. I'm SURE I didn't follow that guideline. HAHA.
yeah, me too, the instruction manual i don't remember it saying not to use cruise control during the break-in period... but i didn't use it anyway... but not because i knew... cause i didn't... i just didn't care for it.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i got my car look at today by the dealer and they told me to take all my service paper from when i get my oil change. if i had all the paper then it will be cover by the warranty. the tech try to tell me that the car never got the oil change. a whole bunch of bs. i got all my paperwork and im takin it to them in the mornin. so a reminder if u get ur car service keep all ur paperwork because it will help if something like this ever happen. i hope they fix my car good because they are going to replace the whole engine that what they told me today but who knows.

ill keep u posted on what they say tomorrow
Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I'm just asking, how do you "prove" your times of oil change if you perform the oil changes yourself?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If required preventive maintenance is not done, any problems that result for that 'failure to perform' are no longer covered by warranty.

Federal law (Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act) insists that so long as the required work is done correctly, and in a timely manner, it is not necessary that the dealership or a professional do it.

The best way to assure coverage is not argued is to maintain appropriate records. I used to have a business size envelope for each car. On the outside was the VIN, license number, and a running record showing when and what maintenance was done (date, mileage, description). Inside were the receipts for oil, filters, etc. Each 'preventive maintenance' entry on the outside of that envelope was a simple one-line entry.

That envelope stayed in the glove box, even when I sold or traded the car.

Can't think of an easier way to do it.

Tom
Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

something is missing from this story though, street racing and blew your motor. Mis-shift from 4th to 2nd? some ____ like that...

But I do believe there is something missing from this story.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I keep track of all my oil changes on a spreadsheet in excel, and I have a folder for all the receipts, the envelope idea works too though.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by all4degame
I'm just asking, how do you "prove" your times of oil change if you perform the oil changes yourself?
Receipts of the oil and filter purchase should be ok if dated near the time of the oil change plus if you keep the old oil in the empty oil containers you can always hand that to them for oil analysis. The real problem occurs when the oil is changed and not inspected for engine wear i.e. metal particles in the bottom of the drain pan etc. I have always kept a log of all expenses and repairs on my vehicles including gas purchases and oil changes all dated with receipts kept in the glove box usually.

Quick Reply: blew my motor