Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

BMW owners has questions: Don't flame me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I am the kind of weird person who would only buy things if I have the cash in my bank account for it, and would only buy something new. That's why I only have a Highlander and a tC. No way am I going to spend money on a badge with lots of polymers in it.

Even if I am looking for a new car right now, it won't be a BMW simply because it's a badge. I love the E46, it used to be a great blend of style and performance.... infact I had a 330i that's now being used by my sister. But the new BMWs all look pretty weird for the least, and insane for the worse. So no, the 135 just doesn't look good enough fo the money. All that performance is only in there for you to run from the people who are pointing at you and laughing their head off as fast as you can.

But get back on track here guys, we are talking about silly drivers, not comparing cars and who is working his (_l_) off to pay for it every month.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you're only putting $3,500 down on a 40k + car?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070816/...h_tests_sedans
Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats right folks kia has better safety ratings them some bmw's
Old 08-16-2007, 10:17 PM
SL Member

The reason why i bought a tC is cause im a "toyota" guy... I really wouldn't buy any other car, granted i was thinkin about gettin an si before the tc. I also dont judge or buy a car by looks but by specs (and not just horsepower)

True there are some that would like to have a high end car as their dream car... but thats not the case for me. My dream car would be owning an '86

Theres my 2 cents lol
Old 08-16-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as someone who has driven m3's, porsches, vipers, and my dads bmw 850csi m series, I can tell you that there is alot to be said about the tc. granted, its not nearly as fast as these cars, it might be that this is my first and most loved car, but I really like how it drives. and I know there are ********* out there who feel the same way, but also dont understand the capabilities of these other vehicles. I think you find the same attitude amongst many other young car owners.

It used to be like this back in the 60s, but back then in this country kids drove muscle cars, and they suped those up too. its going to continue. I've raced people I knew I couldnt beat (they usually challenge me tho) and most of the time people are surprised at the capabilities of my car.

Lots of mostly younger drivers try to race and they are most likely going to lose. the great thing about scions, is that one day you might actually come across one that CAN run in the 13s or 12s. I'd put a tiny bit more faith in scion owners than say, honda owners any day. Just ignore the kids who try to talk crap or race you - they are probably doing it because they are insecure, but more likely dumb.

edit: I think theres a good number of people who begged their parents for a tc because of its looks, or advertised culture, and then after the fact decided they were on some initial D Shiz and that they could go crazy fast, when they really cant.

if i really wanted to go ricky-bobby-fast I wouldve bought a used corvette.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:43 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man, wonder what those kids are thinking though. If you feel insecure about your stock tC, really the worse thing you can do is take a tC to race a 335, or even 325 for that matter. I guess that's what causes depressions.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been looking at what my next car is going to be now for about a month. I have looked at the 350z, is250/350, 335i, g35, sti, evo, etc. I have to say, for the price/performance, the 335i would be my last choice. Twin turbo v6 only putting out 300hp? The evo is putting out almost that much on a single turbo 4 cylinder, and runs a quicker/similar 0-60 time if I remember correctly. Obviously the evo does not have the luxury though. I want something well balanced between luxury and performance. Out of everything I have looked at, I have to say that for the price/performance/options, I am going to have to go with the is350. This is, of course, unless something else comes out before then that I like more
Old 08-17-2007, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cuthbert
I have been looking at what my next car is going to be now for about a month. I have looked at the 350z, is250/350, 335i, g35, sti, evo, etc. I have to say, for the price/performance, the 335i would be my last choice. Twin turbo v6 only putting out 300hp? The evo is putting out almost that much on a single turbo 4 cylinder, and runs a quicker/similar 0-60 time if I remember correctly. Obviously the evo does not have the luxury though. I want something well balanced between luxury and performance. Out of everything I have looked at, I have to say that for the price/performance/options, I am going to have to go with the is350. This is, of course, unless something else comes out before then that I like more
The 335i uses an Inline 6 not a V6. I haven't driven any of the new Is's yet but I'm willing to bet the Bmw is going to give you the better balance between performance and luxury (having driven enough of the new 3). I see what people are trading in and what they are leaving in and it makes sense. I don't know where you are coming from with the compairison of an I4 turbo and an I6 twin turbo. Although peak horsepower might be near the same, the delivery of the power will be different. Stopping now because I have said more in this thread than I really want to.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCb00b
The 335i uses an Inline 6 not a V6. I haven't driven any of the new Is's yet but I'm willing to bet the Bmw is going to give you the better balance between performance and luxury (having driven enough of the new 3). I see what people are trading in and what they are leaving in and it makes sense. I don't know where you are coming from with the compairison of an I4 turbo and an I6 twin turbo. Although peak horsepower might be near the same, the delivery of the power will be different. Stopping now because I have said more in this thread than I really want to.
Well, the IS I priced would be more then the 335, but it has way more options then the 335. I also like the lines/body of the IS better. The IS is also around 300hp n/a. As far as power delivery, I don't know what you mean. If an I4 single turbo can put out the same peak hp, and run a similar/same 0-60, and similar 1/4 times as an I6 twin turbo, where in the power band is the twin turbo doing better? Just the mid range? 300 hp is becoming the norm on a lot of 6/8 cylinder n/a engines, so only 300hp on a twin turbo 6 just seems disappointing to me. The other thing that comes in to play, obviously, is the weight. The evo might weigh quite a bit less then the bmw, so the power difference/time differences would make sense. So if the 335 is a pig heavy car then the 0-60 times are impressive, but the overall output still seems low. All going to depend on what you want out of the car I guess, personally I want full luxury and good pickup out of my next car.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SSQ
Man, wonder what those kids are thinking though. If you feel insecure about your stock tC, really the worse thing you can do is take a tC to race a 335, or even 325 for that matter. I guess that's what causes depressions.
well, a 325 isnt that quick.... but yea, I really think its a matter of lack of knowledge about cars and their capabilities that encourages this

My dad is an avid bmw lover and he says the 325 and 330s are not of the same quality of the other bmws and older bmws. ive driven his 8 series, and an m3 and i agree totally with what he is saying. go from a 330i to an m3 and its totally night and day, the suspension, the clutch, even the sound of the motor. its like the 330 is plastic and the m3 is steel. the 8 series is incredibly more powerful than the 330, and also feels totally different. just my experience and my dads shared opinion.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to me it came down to IS vs. 335i...unfortunately we already have a is 250 in the garage...and it is a very good car...its slower than my tC...but the amount of features you get for the price is amazing...the gas mileage is amazing for this car...and it looks stunning...i probably would have traded in my tC for a second IS...but then i test drove one...and i figured to hell with reliability...i want a car that drives like this!...lol
Old 08-17-2007, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the IS I priced would be more then the 335, but it has way more options then the 335. I also like the lines/body of the IS better. The IS is also around 300hp n/a. As far as power delivery, I don't know what you mean. If an I4 single turbo can put out the same peak hp, and run a similar/same 0-60, and similar 1/4 times as an I6 twin turbo, where in the power band is the twin turbo doing better? Just the mid range? 300 hp is becoming the norm on a lot of 6/8 cylinder n/a engines, so only 300hp on a twin turbo 6 just seems disappointing to me. The other thing that comes in to play, obviously, is the weight. The evo might weigh quite a bit less then the bmw, so the power difference/time differences would make sense. So if the 335 is a pig heavy car then the 0-60 times are impressive, but the overall output still seems low. All going to depend on what you want out of the car I guess, personally I want full luxury and good pickup out of my next car.
Get a boost controller and turn it up 4 more PSI. The Evo will be in the rear-view mirror soon enough. The BMW will be able to reach higher boost, and will do so with less lag.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman
Get a boost controller and turn it up 4 more PSI. The Evo will be in the rear-view mirror soon enough. The BMW will be able to reach higher boost, and will do so with less lag.
I'm sure, but that's really not the point. I don't plan on spending that much on a car to then mod it. At most I would change the rims and the sound system. My argument was stock vs stock. In the same regard, turn up the boost by 4 psi on the evo, then what? You can go around in circles like that all day long.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

notive how he doesnt come on here anymore?? lol funny when he gets pwned he just leaves
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

325's are weak. 335's are quick but overpriced.

If I wanted a fast car I'd get a 'vette. If I wanted an economical car I'd get a Corolla. If I wanted a luxury car I'd get a BMW. I wanted a decent combination, leaning more on the economical side, so I bought a tC.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stl_tc_king
325's are weak. 335's are quick but overpriced.

If I wanted a fast car I'd get a 'vette. If I wanted an economical car I'd get a Corolla. If I wanted a luxury car I'd get a BMW. I wanted a decent combination, leaning more on the economical side, so I bought a tC.
+1
Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

+2
Old 08-18-2007, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+3

nicely put!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

+4

Vette Z06 is the best car I have ever driven.

I agree on the sporty/economical stance. Being a commuting student I wanted good gas mileage in a nifty package.

Well said.

Quick Reply: BMW owners has questions: Don't flame me!