Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

BMW owners has questions: Don't flame me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+5

Oh and did anyone forget about the satisfaction of burning one of these 325i's.....forget racing for pinks, race for stickers (that's new car stickers) that way they can see where they went wrong!!! TC FTW!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cuthbert
Originally Posted by Zebman
Originally Posted by tCb00b
I have been looking at what my next car is going to be now for about a month. I have looked at the 350z, is250/350, 335i, g35, sti, evo, etc. I have to say, for the price/performance, the 335i would be my last choice. Twin turbo v6 only putting out 300hp? The evo is putting out almost that much on a single turbo 4 cylinder, and runs a quicker/similar 0-60 time if I remember correctly. Obviously the evo does not have the luxury though. I want something well balanced between luxury and performance. Out of everything I have looked at, I have to say that for the price/performance/options, I am going to have to go with the is350. This is, of course, unless something else comes out before then that I like more
The 335i uses an Inline 6 not a V6. I haven't driven any of the new Is's yet but I'm willing to bet the Bmw is going to give you the better balance between performance and luxury (having driven enough of the new 3). I see what people are trading in and what they are leaving in and it makes sense. I don't know where you are coming from with the compairison of an I4 turbo and an I6 twin turbo. Although peak horsepower might be near the same, the delivery of the power will be different. Stopping now because I have said more in this thread than I really want to.
Well, the IS I priced would be more then the 335, but it has way more options then the 335. I also like the lines/body of the IS better. The IS is also around 300hp n/a. As far as power delivery, I don't know what you mean. If an I4 single turbo can put out the same peak hp, and run a similar/same 0-60, and similar 1/4 times as an I6 twin turbo, where in the power band is the twin turbo doing better? Just the mid range? 300 hp is becoming the norm on a lot of 6/8 cylinder n/a engines, so only 300hp on a twin turbo 6 just seems disappointing to me. The other thing that comes in to play, obviously, is the weight. The evo might weigh quite a bit less then the bmw, so the power difference/time differences would make sense. So if the 335 is a pig heavy car then the 0-60 times are impressive, but the overall output still seems low. All going to depend on what you want out of the car I guess, personally I want full luxury and good pickup out of my next car.
Get a boost controller and turn it up 4 more PSI. The Evo will be in the rear-view mirror soon enough. The BMW will be able to reach higher boost, and will do so with less lag.
I'm sure, but that's really not the point. I don't plan on spending that much on a car to then mod it. At most I would change the rims and the sound system. My argument was stock vs stock. In the same regard, turn up the boost by 4 psi on the evo, then what? You can go around in circles like that all day long.
I'm sure you've heard the term "no replacement for displacement". The Evo's block will give before it catches up with the BMW in terms of PSI.

But I see what you're saying. Most people don't want to ____ around with BMWs because of how complicated they are. It's almost sad that everything is SO integrated, that dealers could probably get away with what we would consider rediculous warranty rejections, i.e. the rear axle broke because the wipers were moving too fast.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCb00b
I have been looking at what my next car is going to be now for about a month. I have looked at the 350z, is250/350, 335i, g35, sti, evo, etc. I have to say, for the price/performance, the 335i would be my last choice. Twin turbo v6 only putting out 300hp? The evo is putting out almost that much on a single turbo 4 cylinder, and runs a quicker/similar 0-60 time if I remember correctly. Obviously the evo does not have the luxury though. I want something well balanced between luxury and performance. Out of everything I have looked at, I have to say that for the price/performance/options, I am going to have to go with the is350. This is, of course, unless something else comes out before then that I like more
The 335i uses an Inline 6 not a V6. I haven't driven any of the new Is's yet but I'm willing to bet the Bmw is going to give you the better balance between performance and luxury (having driven enough of the new 3). I see what people are trading in and what they are leaving in and it makes sense. I don't know where you are coming from with the compairison of an I4 turbo and an I6 twin turbo. Although peak horsepower might be near the same, the delivery of the power will be different. Stopping now because I have said more in this thread than I really want to.
Well, the IS I priced would be more then the 335, but it has way more options then the 335. I also like the lines/body of the IS better. The IS is also around 300hp n/a. As far as power delivery, I don't know what you mean. If an I4 single turbo can put out the same peak hp, and run a similar/same 0-60, and similar 1/4 times as an I6 twin turbo, where in the power band is the twin turbo doing better? Just the mid range? 300 hp is becoming the norm on a lot of 6/8 cylinder n/a engines, so only 300hp on a twin turbo 6 just seems disappointing to me. The other thing that comes in to play, obviously, is the weight. The evo might weigh quite a bit less then the bmw, so the power difference/time differences would make sense. So if the 335 is a pig heavy car then the 0-60 times are impressive, but the overall output still seems low. All going to depend on what you want out of the car I guess, personally I want full luxury and good pickup out of my next car.
Get a boost controller and turn it up 4 more PSI. The Evo will be in the rear-view mirror soon enough. The BMW will be able to reach higher boost, and will do so with less lag.
I'm sure, but that's really not the point. I don't plan on spending that much on a car to then mod it. At most I would change the rims and the sound system. My argument was stock vs stock. In the same regard, turn up the boost by 4 psi on the evo, then what? You can go around in circles like that all day long.
I'm sure you've heard the term "no replacement for displacement". The Evo's block will give before it catches up with the BMW in terms of PSI.

But I see what you're saying. Most people don't want to flip around with BMWs because of how complicated they are. It's almost sad that everything is SO integrated, that dealers could probably get away with what we would consider rediculous warranty rejections, i.e. the rear axle broke because the wipers were moving too fast.
It really does seem like it's going that way with higher end cars. My girlfriends uncle worked for Audi, and he was telling me all the crazy electrical problems that they would have that would effect other systems. Like, you turn on the windshield wipers and your headlights don't work, etc.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres strength in simplicity. thats why i want a lotus
Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm about 10 miles fro mthe plant that makes the z4 and x5 BMW's in the US. we have a lot of DICK bmw drivers because they just lease them and drive the ____ out of them. honestly, it's like a beehive. I understand at least most if not all of the BMW's and can spot the small differences. I'm not one to race, but if an a-hole pulls up beside me and revving because he's driving an expensive car (which he obviously didnt buy otherwise he wouldnt do that), i will give him a run for his money, my car just doesn't play. light as a feather and torques like no tomorrow. I give a lot of credit to BMW for their design (and sometimes quality, only company i know that uses duct tape on a car) and technological advancements they have put in cars. but when it comes down to it, most of those cars are put to waste due to it's drivers. some of those driver understand the concept of the BMW and respect it, other just tear it up. As for me, i like my Scion and to be able to drop the idiots down a peg or two from their pedestal makes for a good day. not bashing anyone, every car group has it's idiots.