Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Budget Exhaust (Dropped The Rear Section Of My TC Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK... I have been reading alot of the forums lately and have noticed a few things.
First off, I do not post much do to the fact that I usually only post for good reasons.

Here you go. The flaming is not necessary. The guy did something to see what would happen while he waited for his exhaust. So what... You will come to learn that yes, he has lost his low end torque do to no back pressure, but in turn has most likely gained hp at high end. This means he will have a worse 60ft time but a better 60mph pull. There would prolly also be a drop in fuel economy, but who cares about that if you are in this section.
Now.. for you to say that an exhaust is not a good upgrade for a N/A (Naturally Aspirated i.e. non turbo/supercharged) car, is CRAZY... Look at a Mustang that can gain up to 80 hp from exhaust and headers.
If any of you have taken the muffler off the tC you would notice that the thing is a MONSTER!!! and is SURE to be a huge device for restriction. So is it a smart thing to do? All up to you. I did this to see what would happen because I am having an exhaust made by a custom shop here and wanted to see what the difference was.
Yes my 60mph pulls are alot better, Yes I have less torque, but still chirp 2nd. And believe it or not it doesnt sound too bad.. I am not going to by any means leave the car like this, I just like to find out by experimentation.

If you are a true car enthusiast you will realize that the tC hasnt been in the states long, and that the only way to further the process of the modification world it to TRY things. Or you can be a bolt on Queen and wait until everyone else does something and you can buy your parts and have them put on while that guy who is out there experimenting is still a car length ahead of you.

I commend you Supa.. I am glad to see you trying to help out the community. If anyone wants to flame me, go ahead. I will be sitting here laughing because you spend more time trying to find a way to bash on someone trying to help then you will spend trying to help out your own tC and the tC community..
Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
wanna use your car for another exhaust experiment though?

yes yes yes check your PMs
Old 03-04-2005, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
OK... I have been reading alot of the forums lately and have noticed a few things.
First off, I do not post much do to the fact that I usually only post for good reasons.

There would prolly also be a drop in fuel economy, but who cares about that if you are in this section.

Now.. for you to say that an exhaust is not a good upgrade for a N/A (Naturally Aspirated i.e. non turbo/supercharged) car, is CRAZY... Look at a Mustang that can gain up to 80 hp from exhaust and headers.

If anyone wants to flame me, go ahead. I will be sitting here laughing because you spend more time trying to find a way to bash on someone trying to help then you will spend trying to help out your own tC and the tC community..
Well i like to make people laught, so ill try and do my best to flame you. First of of all, the reason that you dont post often is because you have no idea what your talking about . There would be no drop in fuel economy if the muffler was simply taken off, the drop in fuel economy is due to the fact that the driver must rev the engine higher to get the car going due to loss of low rpm horsepower due to the lack of back pressure. Secondly, there is no way in HELL that a non aspirated Mustang can get an additional 80 hp (even measured at the fly) from just an exhaust and headers. NO WAY IN HELL.

Thats about all i have to say, hope i kept you laughing.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey first, that's pretty funny jrv and second, what factory sway bar are you talking about, the one that is already on the car, that everyone has? or another one like from hotchkis?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skinny
hey first, that's pretty funny jrv and second, what factory sway bar are you talking about, the one that is already on the car, that everyone has? or another one like from hotchkis?
Ya, I have the sway that comes stock on everyones car. No one probably wants or needs it, but i am hoping someone on this board might have some use for it.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

the TRD exhaust is made by borla?!? I thought Borla already manufactures a exhaust...
Old 03-04-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

SupaWhite - kudos for trying the tC without a muffler. I completely forgot about this. Does it sound close to what TRD muffler sounded? I bet it does...

Anyway - in 3 pages of flame everybody ignored one good post - about guys trying 2 different exhaust setups on IS300. Awesome article. A lot of time and money was spent doing research for it. Probably way way more money than CreativeCompacts spent on designing and dynoing their system. Look that article up - it's on the bottom of page 1 of this thread.

And when it comes to exhausts to get 10hp you have to sacrifice 90% of your comfort - I'd rather have 10hp less and be able to use the remaining horses without summoning entire city police force. Think about it - you are at the light and you want to show that beamer that you made a way smarter purchase - if your exhaust setup is quiet - you can do it and be safe, but with a loud exhaust you will have to be very careful to not add the "reckless driving" thing to your record. So yeah, exhaust stays stock.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Budget Exhaust (Dropped The Rear Section Of My TC Exhaus

Originally Posted by SupaWhiteTc
Hey guys whats up? I decided to drop the rear section of my exhaust today out of curiousity and it actually sounds really good. I was impressed by the sound and it actually made it a little more peppy. The muffler on the TC is a beast so it has to be really restrictive. If you want sound but are on a budget just remove the rear section! It is not loud at all just has a really deep rumble once it is warmed up.
just an fyi .. i dyno'd 9hp at the wheels when i dropped the muffler off my 00' Celica GTS so i feel you man, not sure why everyone else was hatin
Old 03-07-2005, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member

This post actually spured some curiosity in me this past weekend so I decided to drop the stock muffler myself. Took it off Friday night, drove to work Saturday morning and came back Saturday afternoon.......feeling really embarased.

Someone call John Deer, the car sounds like a piece of farm equipment without the muffler for gods sake!

I will say this, at idle the sound is pretty badass, but from there it just goes downhill.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrv2000
Well i like to make people laught, so ill try and do my best to flame you. First of of all, the reason that you dont post often is because you have no idea what your talking about . There would be no drop in fuel economy if the muffler was simply taken off, the drop in fuel economy is due to the fact that the driver must rev the engine higher to get the car going due to loss of low rpm horsepower due to the lack of back pressure. Secondly, there is no way in HELL that a non aspirated Mustang can get an additional 80 hp (even measured at the fly) from just an exhaust and headers. NO WAY IN HELL.

Thats about all i have to say, hope i kept you laughing.
I will give you that a NATURALLY aspirated (non aspirated??) mustang, wont get 80hp gains from just exhaust and headers, but it will get around 20-30hp... I will say I was mistaken on that, but your fuel economy will go down without the extra backpressure. Think about it. First off you lose bottom end torque, while the computer in the car still thinks it will be burning the fuel that it isnt. Therefore your car will run rich. I have noticed a drop off in fuel economy since I took off the muffler. I give you kudos for the semi flame that you made, infact I think I cried a little bit. haha. I just cant stand people flaming someone for trying something different. I mean, come on. If someone isnt going to try something on their car then they have no right to bash someone who is experimenting.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unlmtdndeavor

Ya, OK....Lets cut the back of our exaust out so it sounds good????

Moron...
first off, dont be calling people morons. everyone has a right to modify their car how they want. and secondly, he removed the axle back, not cut the exhaust...keep the posts helpful
he has every right to call him a moron he dropped the rear section of his exhaust for no reason
and then he paid $700+ for a muffler
you could get your whole exhaust done for under $700 including the header
Old 03-07-2005, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Figures someone from "terrible hole" would think of this one. You cruise the bash with the tail end of the exhaust off? do people point and chuckle at the lack of tailpipe? did they ever fix the stench of that town? Or did the chemicles dumped by BASF in the water rot your brain? If you can't afford a exhaust save up for one or don't get one. Blowing your exhaust to the ground just blinds the guy behind you. Oh yea you don't care about him/her they're behind you. right?
don't operate your car without your brain engaged
Old 03-07-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LimitedE
This post actually spured some curiosity in me this past weekend so I decided to drop the stock muffler myself. Took it off Friday night, drove to work Saturday morning and came back Saturday afternoon.......feeling really embarased.

Someone call John Deer, the car sounds like a piece of farm equipment without the muffler for gods sake!

I will say this, at idle the sound is pretty badass, but from there it just goes downhill.
that explains a lot farm boy want a sportier tractor maybe he should piant it john deere green
Old 03-07-2005, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz

And when it comes to exhausts to get 10hp you have to sacrifice 90% of your comfort - I'd rather have 10hp less and be able to use the remaining horses without summoning entire city police force. Think about it - you are at the light and you want to show that beamer that you made a way smarter purchase - if your exhaust setup is quiet - you can do it and be safe, but with a loud exhaust you will have to be very careful to not add the "reckless driving" thing to your record. So yeah, exhaust stays stock.
word!
Old 03-08-2005, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CreativeCompacts
FYI: Our exhaust produced 12hp and 9ft lbs.... I HAVE DYNO PLOTS Posted... You will feel this in your seat.
actually, you just have a dyno plot of the car with the exhaust system. i have not seen a stock dyno plot yet.

i'd also like to mention that your car dyno'ed less whp with intake & exhaust then other tc's completely stock. seems very odd. perhaps your numbers are a little off?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SupaWhiteTc
Yes thats right dumbass I am heading in the rice direction. I have bought a $715 Creative Compacts exhaust and I dropped the rear section for a couple of days until it arrives. I was just informing people that it actually sounds good and frees up a little power. You people take things way too serious on here. My car is probably the least ricey of any TC on this board just look at it in the gallery.
seriously, people on this forum live here and feel good trippin over petty crap that noobs say, like they were never noobs, like that posting about how to remove the shift **** , calm down peoples u guys are seriously TRIPPIN...
Old 03-08-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

seriously...
people have to calm down
Old 03-08-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i noticed it has been getting a little hostile around here in almost every tc forum i havent checked the xa or xb ones but i know the tc ones are getting a littel angry
Old 03-08-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

we're cool. . . no hatin there.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:16 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
...but your fuel economy will go down without the extra backpressure. Think about it. First off you lose bottom end torque, while the computer in the car still thinks it will be burning the fuel that it isnt. Therefore your car will run rich.
Not bashing, but since when did your axleback become a MAF or OX sensor? The axleback doesn't measure anything. I'll give you that you may lose some low end, but your car WILL NOT run rich by removing/replacing the axleback.

Quick Reply: Budget Exhaust (Dropped The Rear Section Of My TC Exhaust)