Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buying a new exhaust..don't want any rasp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM

Default Buying a new exhaust..don't want any rasp?

I'm going to buy upgrading my exhaust in a month or two right after winter ends So far everything on my car is stock, it's an '05 FM tC..just bought it 5 months ago :D

I'm going to be putting 18" Chrome Motegi's on it (the seller of the car threw 'em in for free so why not). The only problem is that the tires are low profile so I'm gonna have the be watching for bumps as I drive I'm also planning to get a Tsudo N1 exhaust..been looking around and this is my favorite so far. I like the sound and it's loud but not TOO loud.

I've noticed though that in some videos it's raspy on people's cars. Just wondering but would buying a new S-pipe (such as the invidia) help with that problem at all or no?

Also..can I expect to gain any HP from these mods or are they just for sound. Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i think any headers, or s-pipes, or midpipes will give you some sort of rasp. you will gain a little bit of power, but not enough to feel a huge difference. this guy had tsudo midpipe with his trd exhaust and it sounded really good at idle but as soon as he gased it and let go of the gas the nasty rasp followed. i suggest for you just to get the exhaust by itself.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 PM

Hmm..alright. I was going to get an axle back exhaust since it's cheaper.

Any pros to going full catback instead of axle back with the Tsudo? Or should I not be going Tsudo at all hehe
Old 01-24-2010, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1Sail0r
Hmm..alright. I was going to get an axle back exhaust since it's cheaper.

Any pros to going full catback instead of axle back with the Tsudo? Or should I not be going Tsudo at all hehe
Hey man, I'd spend the extra for cat back, I've got a cat back, a full agency with stock header and everything, and it sounds great, very little rasp unless water or vapor is inside. I'm waiting to put on an intake to go with it this spring.. As well as painting my rims
Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

stock header+catback+extra resonator= sounds good
stock header+axleback= sounds good too
catless header+ catback= very raspy
catless header+catback+HUGE resonator= sounds good
Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mos_Def
i think any headers, or s-pipes, or midpipes will give you some sort of rasp. you will gain a little bit of power, but not enough to feel a huge difference. this guy had tsudo midpipe with his trd exhaust and it sounded really good at idle but as soon as he gased it and let go of the gas the nasty rasp followed. i suggest for you just to get the exhaust by itself.
No just the header will give you rasp. Mid pipes and s-pipes will just only make it louder.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well not necessarily.. I have Stock headers + Stock spipe + custom 2.25inch midpipe + trd axleback and the midpipe made it sooooo Raspy... so its off for now until i buy resonator.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bdawg933
Hey man, I'd spend the extra for cat back, I've got a cat back, a full agency with stock header and everything, and it sounds great, very little rasp unless water or vapor is inside. I'm waiting to put on an intake to go with it this spring.. As well as painting my rims
Whoa just checked the price on the full catback and it's $400. Lol I don't have that kind of cash at the moment so I'm just gonna go with axle back for $140.

I saw a tutorial on here to install the Tsudo (this one) and I was wondering how people keep the exhaust from touching the bumper?

Also..do CAI's increase the HP/torque by a noticeable amount or is that a useless upgrade as well?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tsudo melted my bumper, i got a longer hanger but didnt really work so i put 2 bottle caps into the stock hanger.

then i got the injen loved it.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 AM

^You mean you put 2 bottles from like a coke bottle into the hanger? Did you have to force them in there?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea like 20oz. or 2 liter bottles, and i shoved them in there it spaced it out just right so it didnt hit
Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

?? bottle cap?? hanger??
Old 01-25-2010, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow... that's all. How about save your money and buy a nice sounding exhaust that fits, like a magnaflow or something. Besides, the Tsuedo screams pull me over IMO. CAI might yield 4 hp teamed up with the exhaust but they are fun to listen to and brighten up the engine bay a little.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i spent almost 400 on my tanabe, but next to injen it is the best sounding axleback out there.

also i say sell the motegis and save for some nicer rims. Chrome does not go well with the tc.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1Sail0r
Whoa just checked the price on the full catback and it's $400. Lol I don't have that kind of cash at the moment so I'm just gonna go with axle back for $140.
This made me chuckle.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ very practical actually, lots of saving right there.. there's no real gains anyways but still sounds and looks good.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I was laughing at the $400 being a lot for a catback.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I was laughing at the $400 being a lot for a catback.
Do some people actually spend in the thousands for their exhaust systems? I don't have a turbo or anything just want something decent for the sound

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
i spent almost 400 on my tanabe, but next to injen it is the best sounding axleback out there.

also i say sell the motegis and save for some nicer rims. Chrome does not go well with the tc.
Hm where would I sell the Motegi's at? And do you have an idea how much I could get for them..

But yea I looked at the Injen exhaust and it's pretty nice but it's too expensive IMO. I don't work that much because I have school and I don't want to put too much money into my car yet, I wanna have some left over.

Originally Posted by rangerryda
Wow... that's all. How about save your money and buy a nice sounding exhaust that fits, like a magnaflow or something. Besides, the Tsuedo screams pull me over IMO. CAI might yield 4 hp teamed up with the exhaust but they are fun to listen to and brighten up the engine bay a little.
Is the Tsudo really THAT loud in real life? Hearing it on youtube makes it seem loud but not loud enough to get you pulled over..

Also, will I pass inspection with the Tsudo exhaust or will I have to swap for stock when inspection time comes.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ tsudo without added resonator is semi loud, had it before and added a resonator and sound great
Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ace83
^^ tsudo without added resonator is semi loud, had it before and added a resonator and sound great
Does it still sound aggressive with a resonator?

And I still don't really understand what a resonator is..is it a part of the exhaust you buy yourself and install? Are they cheap or semi-expensive

Quick Reply: Buying a new exhaust..don't want any rasp?