Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

The CAI/Bypass Valve Info Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Injen CAI is 3" in diameter so you need a 3" bpv. I want to say I've seen them on sparks for like 40$... Ill have to look into it.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Found it... http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...2&parts_id=520
That should work with the Injen CAI... But, now that I think of it, I can't remember if the 2 pieces come together before or after the maf? Eff it ill go look at my car tomorrow. I'd rather have a check engine light for unmetered air than a hydrolocked engine...
Old 04-07-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have one of these bypass valves came with my injen cai.It has instructions on how to install and comes with a template to cut some where.They dont show any pics in directions on what your supposed to be doing.I even been to aem website hoping there would be more there.Just curious if anyone had a pic of what your supposed to do.The directions just seemed very vague and I like to be precise.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
SL Member

In my case I bought a injen CAI (no BPV included).

I decided after some local flooding that I needed a BPV so I bought an 3" AEM BPV off of eBay for about $50. The BPV goes inbetween your short ram tube and your cold air tube. The installation is a real b***h . You will have to uninstall everything in order to cut 1" from your short ram after the MAFS and 1" off of the cold air tube where it connects to the BPV. I used a hacksaw since I didn't have anything better. The cuts weren't perfect, but it got the job done.

I did all of this because I live in florida and we get a lot of rain in the summer. Sometimes roads flood here. If you live in an area where this isn't the case save yourself the frustration and don't worry about it. The only way to hydrolock your engine is to submerge your filter in water. I'm still a noob at posting pics, but hers's one below of the finished install. You can also see a pic posted by Djicey702 earlier in this thread for an idea of where the BPV goes.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:34 AM

Do all AEM CAIs come with a bypass valve?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hockey39goalie
Do all AEM CAIs come with a bypass valve?
No. On any intake you will need to trim both the short ram and cold air extension to get full benefit of the valve. I have tested the valve several times and it does work but only for N/A not for Boosted. When there is an increase in vacuum (I.E. water being sucked up) it causes the diagram on the bypass valve to open until the vacuum goes back to normal thus allowing the water to drain. Will it prevent all water from being sucked up, no you will still have a little bit but it won't be enough to cause damage.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i've heard you cant use bpv on F/I setup or it might get sucked up due to strong pressure.. i have a CAI on my turbo setup and i think hydroshield would be a better option
Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use to have the BPV on a 1997 Honda Civic with a CAI & it works I even went thru big puddles of water (not on planed just happened that way)

I think that the AEM BPV is a good idea for anyone running a CAI on any make or model car, truck or suv hell even a van
Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have read many places not to use BPV with F/I. If the air intake tube that goes to the turbo has the same vacuum as the stock car which is around 26-28 in hg idling then if you modified the air intake tube that feeds the turbo it should work.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 PM

After putting in my injen CAI I have come to the conclusion that you would have to be diving through a lake in order to get water into your engine. on my '09 tC the filter is in a spot that it is virtually impossible to get water into without submerging your vehicle. Between the fender and bumber with a splash guard and wheel well covering it all. I didnt put a hydroshield or BPV on mine, but i also drive around puddles just to not push my luck.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ nothings impossible =x I may have to look into the BPV from AEM for my injen CAI..
Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how high are my chances of hydrolocking if my fender lining isnt there? will it hydrolock if drops of water splash onto the filter? or does it have to be completely submerged to lock?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:20 AM
SL Member

i'd like to know this too ^. my inner wheelwell lining isnt lined up perfectly, due to my clumsy installation of the intake
Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 PM

definelty worth getting. Yeah where the filter is located is pretty much sealed, but better safe then sorry. I had a cai without a bpv on my civic si and I couldnt even drive in the rain sucked donkey *****.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been in the situation where I didn't have a wheel/fender liner. I had a '91 Civic which ended losing the wheel well cover because my car was so low. At first i would convert my CAI into a SRI when it rained. But after a while I got lazy and just left it like that. I even drove from San Jose to San Diego in all kinds of weather and never had a problem. I think the BPV would do just great as preventive measure. I also so the demo that AEM did and it was on an Acura NSX revving up pretty good but not WOT and they submerged the filter into a fish tank. No water went in. You could see it because they used a crear tube as the cold air extension. I wouldn't recommend doing what I did, I took a big risk, and I had to clean my filter out almost monthly.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

I installed a aem bpv with my fujita intake. I would say the 50-60 dollars is worth it! Think of it as one time pay insurance for a 4-5k dollar engine