Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

CAI rubbing on inside of fender

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CAI rubbing on inside of fender

Anyone notice this? mine rubs on the edge of the hole in the inner fender where the tube goes through. I put the rubber thing on the edge but now its gone. It actually rubbed through the CAI and now i have a small hole on the tube. Im just going to wrap a peice of rubber around the tube like a tournaquet so it stops making contact.

Was just curious if anyone else had/notice the same on thier car.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:57 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

small hole on the tube? thats not good at all

-taek
Old 07-26-2005, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put my Injen in this weekend and I noticed it vibrating on the hole where the tube goes through. I am going to have to take a look at in soon and find out if I can fix it. And yah, I've got the supplied rubber piece going around the opening on each side of it.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put mine on as well, but the thing is it doesnt stay. I cut it into 2 pieces and it stayed for a bit longer but still fell off. I tried duct tape but that eventually fell off because of the heat. Any ideas on how to "glue" this rubber piece to the body?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like you all I had the same problem and tried many solutions before I came up with this one. FINALLY.. a solutions that works. It not only stops the rattling, but also makes the CAI much more secure. A few of you that have PM me may have already seen my solution but for those who haven't...here ya go!

Sorry for the huge pics but you get a clear view anyways.

I purchased the rubber gasket at a pipe supply store. It is 2 3/4" as I remember and can be found in the PVC section. It slips over the intake with a little soapy water as lubrication and is a perfect fit! It presses into the inside fender therefore eliminating any slop that the intake might otherwise have and will also seal up any holes that may have been caused by the rubbing...TWO solutions in one! I can't remember the exact name of the gasket but if you print out the pic and take it with you i'm sure they will know what is is. Anyways hope you all find this helpful.

Jason
Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

best thing to make sure it dont happen again, is to take a piece of vaccuum hose, and cut a slit in it, then line the entire fender hloe in the hose,
Old 07-26-2005, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same problem. i jus put a piece of small rubber by the fender so it wouldnt scratch it anymore. the fender still touches it though but no more scratches. if i get time to take pics ill show you how much scrathces i have on my intake. im glad i didnt get the black one because the sctatches would show.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool, so im not the only one. i think ill go to a pipe store and look for that peice. it looks good.

As for the scratches, i polished mine out with some gritty compund and a highspeed drill. like already said, glad i have the polished one too!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: CAI rubbing on inside of fender

Originally Posted by Harmonic tC
Anyone notice this? mine rubs on the edge of the hole in the inner fender where the tube goes through. I put the rubber thing on the edge but now its gone. It actually rubbed through the CAI and now i have a small hole on the tube. Im just going to wrap a peice of rubber around the tube like a tournaquet so it stops making contact.

Was just curious if anyone else had/notice the same on thier car.
I had that problem with K&N...under hard shifts I would hear it...I'll post pics to show my fix...
Old 07-26-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didnt get any type of pipe thingy. i just ripped a piece of rubber and stuck it in place.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK....here are the pics of what I did....

I went to home depot and got some thick weather stripping....

Then just cleaned the metal on the car, NOT the intake, and put the stripping on... double layered where it was rubbing...

Now I just check every once in a while to make sure that the sticky does not wear off.... It's been good so far (about 2.5 months)...

Total cost - $4.00
Old 07-26-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dachmo
OK....here are the pics of what I did....

I went to home depot and got some thick weather stripping....

Then just cleaned the metal on the car, NOT the intake, and put the stripping on... double layered where it was rubbing...

Now I just check every once in a while to make sure that the sticky does not wear off.... It's been good so far (about 2.5 months)...

Total cost - $4.00
smart!!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SCIONyd_tC
best thing to make sure it dont happen again, is to take a piece of vaccuum hose, and cut a slit in it, then line the entire fender hloe in the hose,
this is exactly what I did with the K&N CAI. They don't provide any rubber pieces with the K&N, sounds like the Injen does. My intake was shaking and hitting the edges of the hole everytime I started the car, and you could hear it rattling sometimes when driving until I did this.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default "vibramounts"

Did anyone else have the vibra mounts break? I have the injen intake and the rubber on the vibramounts broke, they are sending me new ones but geez....... I hope the new ones hold up because the rubbing on the fender and scratching ____es me off... i put a piece of rubber hose on the hole in the finder to help with the vibration but it still rattles every time i start the engine
Old 07-27-2005, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I cut the piece in two and put one half on the top and the other on the bottom.

When that didn't work.... GORRILLA Glue. With a little "after-dried" cleanup, they stay put no problem at all.

Just dab little drops in the groove of the lil' inserts and slide 'em back in...

Problem Solved!
Old 07-27-2005, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hah wanna hear some poopie? my vibra mount is fine BUT the metal mount (oem) broke right after the weld, i fixed it with some epoxy and then it broke (IN A DIFFRENT PLACE!!) right where the bracket goes up for the vibra mount ererljkasd;
Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can also use a vacuum hose and put a slit in it and then but it along the rim of the hole. it stays on because it curves around the metal....well atleast mine stayed on so far.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are your tCs automatic? im asking this question because the injen intakes are only for 5 speed and i have an automatic. maybe this is why it hits the fender?
the intake works perfectly fine though. no problems, jus the intake rubbing against the fender.
i have posted a question a long time ago before buying my intake saying if it would work because i have an automatic and everyone said yeah it should work.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

No problem for automatics, although you will have to deal with a little low end torque loss...

I still swear by my gorilla solution.... cheapest one out there... All you need is scissors and glue and TADA, no more rubbage!
Old 07-29-2005, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
No problem for automatics, although you will have to deal with a little low end torque loss...
what do you mean by that?

Quick Reply: CAI rubbing on inside of fender