Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

CAMS for a 2AZ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member

Default CAMS for a 2AZ?

I really want to install some performance cams in the TC but have had no luck finding them for a 2az....seeing how easy they are to change out, someone has to make them right?
Who makes them and who here has them?
Experiences with them?

Thanks, TY
Old 11-06-2006, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The only ones there is, is for supercharged guys. No N/A cams for now. They may be easy to change, but not easy, nor cheap to make.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:29 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You can have them made check out this thread. The guy has custom cams with pictures:
CHeck his profile.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...147082&start=0
Old 11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cams for the tc right now are pointless... heads run on timing not on lift. by making the duration of the lift longer you wont benefit because the stock ecu will pull or advance timing. cams would be pointless because of that and also you would need an EMS to control the timing by yourself and not the computers "variable" timing.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:44 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Not true. ICENINE has dynos showing a 30whp increase with cams.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on a supercharger.. and requiring timing control... anyone can make a regrind that "ads lift" and make a dyno of it. please read up on how our engine works in conjunction with timing and not lift. this isnt a honda motor which works on lift..we work on timing. if you make a cam that is preset at an advanced timing to trick the ecu then or course your going to make more power.

and im well aware of him and his thread. funny though because if the cam worked for a SC why not N/A but he could not answer this nor the company that made the cam yet they were charging almost 800 bucks for a set of regrinds they couldnt give any info on. i dont read and beleive everything i see on the internet i hope others here also do either.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:05 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Exactly, so why did you say cams on a tC are pointless?
Pointless would mean they do nothing for you. And they do, do something for you.
Reguardless of the means of how it works compared to another vehicle, if it works its not pointless.

Maybe I am missing something.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Exactly, so why did you say cams on a tC are pointless?
Pointless would mean they do nothing for you. And they do, do something for you.
Reguardless of the means of how it works compared to another vehicle, if it works its not pointless.

Maybe I am missing something.
they are because no matter what the ecu will default and retard or advance your timing based on what the sensors are reading.. if your timing is affected then how will you be making more power if the timing is continuously varried and corrected for fuel economy reasons

we dont work on lift like traditional motors.. we work on timing.. control the timing and you can make more power.. a cam alone will do nothing for you if it would do anything it all at this junction.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:12 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

With proper tunning the Cam does do something. It has been proven with dyno runs, videos, and printouts to prove it.

I imagine you are right, a cam alone wont do anything, but know one would do a cam alone. So you just take it forgranted that timing and all will be controled to not allow it to reset to factory settings.

A cam in the tC does make a difference, it has been shown.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only thing which would help you out especially on the intake side is not a bigger cam but a cam with a preset degree already advanced into it...but thats a whole other thread in itself..

the original thread poster would benefit more from a greddy emanage U or cam-com which controls timing and cam angle then actual cams at this point.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
With proper tunning the Cam does do something. It has been proven with dyno runs, videos, and printouts to prove it.

I imagine you are right, a cam alone wont do anything, but know one would do a cam alone. So you just take it forgranted that timing and all will be controled to not allow it to reset to factory settings.

A cam in the tC does make a difference, it has been shown.
the only thing the tc is benefiting from that combo is the tuning aspect of it... we dont work on lift!!!!!! we work on cam angle and timing.. thats what your missing... give me an EMS on a supercharger and let me advance the timing and open up the exhuast..i can make the same numbers also with alot of work 93 octant and advancing the crap and cam angle of the head. thats what people in his thread were missing... it was basically almost a scam... pay 800 bucks for regrinds when about 400 dollars with an ems and good tuner can do in half the time.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

read this and you will see why cams in our motors are somewhat obselete..

http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm
Old 11-06-2006, 06:25 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I am pretty sure, he did the cams AFTER the EMS. And thats when his dynos showed the change.
Requardless of the reasoning and theory of anything, you cant deny the increase on a dyno. His numbers are higher than anyone elses, and all he has over others is the CAMS. You might be right, but in his application he had an increase with CAMS. Read through it:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...138440&start=0
Old 11-06-2006, 06:26 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TCpete

Excelent Site with great info.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you seen the mods he has??? read it and then see why and how he got all the HP increase.. its obvious.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:35 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yes I have seen them.

Well we have totally thread jacked. I will let people that know more about it than me chime in. I really am not very knowledgeable on it. I just have watched his build and seen what did what.

Anyone else have info?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take the time to call Ripp... They dont sit on the computer all day, so calling them you would probably get better information.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete

You mention VVTi is the main role for cams not doing any good. So could you explain why the VVTi Supras have a boatload of cams for their turbo setups?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by zer0
You mention VVTi is the main role for cams not doing any good. So could you explain why the VVTi Supras have a boatload of cams for their turbo setups?
Ummm...don't believe any of the Supras (2JZ's) used VVTi...that's the main problem with 2JZ-GTE swaps into newer GS300's.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a huge diff. between these 2 motors. you cannot compare the modern day 2z with its faster learning curve and ecu mapping vs the older model 2j which uses a completely diferent designed head based on lift and timing vs. ours that is just lift. also the learning curve and ecu complexity is slower and easier to work with in the 2j(hense thank you HKS f-con ems in helping that out for tuning and timing).

its 2 completely diff. designed motors using vvti. you cant compare one to the other because they both use vvti.

Quick Reply: CAMS for a 2AZ?