Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

CAMS for a 2AZ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
Originally Posted by zer0
You mention VVTi is the main role for cams not doing any good. So could you explain why the VVTi Supras have a boatload of cams for their turbo setups?
Ummm...don't believe any of the Supras (2JZ's) used VVTi...that's the main problem with 2JZ-GTE swaps into newer GS300's.
2js do use vvti.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

But you keep talking about the ECU learning. That is easily bypassed, so it is not a factor. You cant use that as a reason, except for when talking about a CAM only swap like hondas do.
The tC has a stong ECU so any major work also includes EMS. Same goes with the cam. So learning, which is your main argument, is not an issue.
This is the degree of my knowledge but, you seam to ignore it.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

k one more time.. ill put it in this theory.. if the cam is bigger and the ecu reads more a/f being mixed.. it will nasturally adv/retard the timing to decrease that to make sure you are running at an economoy and perf. level.. but the thing to that is that no matter what our head runs on timing and not lift. thats the way it was designed.. no matter the lift the ecu will always fight it.. granted even with ems the lift will not be the factor but the actual timing is key. i think thats the part you might be missing.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:18 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I must be missing something.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member

Well I understand where both of you are coming from in this debate, but cams and timing will always add power to an engine if you know what you are doing when tuning it.

But I want to install them before I get a tuner for the car so
WHERE CAN I GET SOME N/A CAMS?!?

Oh and by the way the 2jz-gte never had VVTi on it in the Supra, only the newer 2jz-ge (non-turbo) engines in Lexus had the VVTi.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboTY
Well I understand where both of you are coming from in this debate, but cams and timing will always add power to an engine if you know what you are doing when tuning it.

Oh and by the way the 2jz-gte never had VVTi on it in the Supra, only the newer 2jz-ge (non-turbo) engines in Lexus had the VVTi.
http://www.supravvti.com/
Old 11-07-2006, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zer0
Originally Posted by TurboTY

http://www.supravvti.com/
That is a swap car and not U.S.
Supra was only imported till 1998 in the US and the VVTi was never used on it.
The web page you have is a 2jz-gte bottem end with a 2jz-ge (VVTi) head and turbo.
The guy traded a turbo car for a non-turbo car and then turboed it.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are no cams out there right now. You'll have to settle for custom regrinds.

Anyways, a question to TCpete: are you saying that even with an EMS controlling timing, the ECU would still somehow overcome it? I don't see how the ECU would be a problem if the EMS is sending modified information to the ECU to get it to react the way we want it to.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
There are no cams out there right now. You'll have to settle for custom regrinds.

Anyways, a question to TCpete: are you saying that even with an EMS controlling timing, the ECU would still somehow overcome it? I don't see how the ECU would be a problem if the EMS is sending modified information to the ECU to get it to react the way we want it to.
That's the part tcpete is missing.... He's absolutely right when it comes to closed loop controllers. Everything changes when using an open loop controller like the Eman U.

Like Ripp has said, Vortech superchargers really benefit from additional lift on the exhaust side. Show me a 311whp supercharged setup that does it with everything i've done but minus the cams, and maybe i'll believe it. I won't claim to be the expert on all things tuning.

But until then, it's all just talk